Author Topic: Anatomy of a Piezo?  (Read 211 times)

Anatomy of a Piezo?
« on: October 28, 2020, 11:55:38 AM »
How are these made exactly?
Is it two metal plates separated by some paper tape?
I have re soldered so many times I am afraid mine is ruined.  I have ordered new ones, but that might take ten days.... Can I repair?

I was trying to get all the old solder off and tried air, it just blew all over.

I swapped out a tom piezo and plate with the bass until I get a new piezo, so I have this mess in themeantime sitting on the floor
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 04:04:15 PM by modolovo »

Offline AlanK

Re: Anatomy of a Piezo?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 01:54:59 PM »
Almost looks like an underwater pic! Ouch, I haven't looked at a piezo on the old steel plate setup in a long time, but it doesn't look good.. sorry
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, 682 white mesh cone conversion, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Tama saddle, Panasonic noise cancelling headphones, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline korakios

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 07:24:29 AM »
Don't use hot air, just a solder iron instead ...
The wires are very thick and heavy that's why they break from vibrations...which model you have?
When the new piezo arrives , use the thin wires and solder them to the fat ones , try applying glue to the presoldered points on the piezo for extra protection  ;)
Some extra tape (like on the black one) will also help  :)

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2020, 06:44:21 PM »
Yeah just remove it and make a good clean for the new piezo, that piezo is not gonna last too much after all the mess.

When you use soldering iron is just quickly as possible not holding too many seconds  because like @korakios said is gonna burn the wires.

I don't recommend you soldering wires directly to piezo because the piezo can break or bend easily just looking for that pic, so, buy piezos with wires.

Also, some electronic shops can solder the new piezo for you and probably costs you $1 but at least you got a clean work for a long time.. I used to do that in the beginning until I learn by myself when I started my DIY drum project.

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 11:10:33 AM »
thanks. i think my soldering is fine, but after 10 times there just gets to be a lot of solder that is hard to get rid of, and an air compressor will not blow it off either.  lol.

I guess I will take this one apart and see how it is made since have yet ti find this part out.  I have new ones coming but might still be a week out as they have not even mailed it yet...

Offline korakios

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020, 12:19:46 PM »
The thicker the wire ,the easier it will detach .Thinner wire = less vibrations
 Use the wires that will come with your piezo ,glue the wires on the piezo  and apply tape.

For removing solder search on ebay:

"Vacuum De-solder Gun Desoldering Pump Solder Sucker Removal Remover"
They cost less than 2$ :)

Also when soldering with iron you must use soldering paste which is cheap as well . Otherwise the temperature gets high and might damage the piezo

PS. Those are friendly advises  and not criticism :)