Author Topic: Fix Hi-Hat Pedal problem  (Read 264 times)

Fix Hi-Hat Pedal problem
« on: October 01, 2020, 04:20:26 PM »
See post below because the problem is different now...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 07:31:25 PM by ginnungagap »

Offline Chaser

Re: Fix Hi-Hat cable.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 04:55:14 PM »
Anyone knows what kind of plug is to buy it, my module is a behringer xd80usb using a Alesis variable hi-hat and the plug is having some internal issues and I realize because the cables (red,black,white) and pedal is OK.

Steren is selling these two but I dont which one is.

Plug 6,3 mm estereo

Plug 6,3 mm TRRS

TRS = 3 wires.. Tip Ring Sleeve (Stereo)
TRRS = 4 wires..Tip Ring Ring Sleeve..(2 rings)

The x80 module looks to be a "limited" (240 voices) rebranded Medeli DD512
Check the Kit/Instrument lists and see if any match

Re: Fix Hi-Hat cable.
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 07:18:59 PM »
Well, apparently the problem is the compatibility with the pedal Alesis variable hi-hat (similar to the original Behringer pedal), I was thinking the problem was my cable but seems is the pedal.

When I connect the plug only works closed if I push it when I hit the cymbal but not alone...

Then when I push the pedal to close, the cymbal stuck with half open hi hat sound when I stop pushing the pedal...

I just bought the pedal today and seems I need to return it and search the open/close alesis pedal which works fine with that module... is kind of funny because the pedal say "open/close pedal" with a sticker but is a variable hi-hat.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 07:26:27 PM by ginnungagap »

Offline Hellfire

Re: Fix Hi-Hat Pedal problem
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 08:08:57 AM »
@ginnumgagap, I'm not going to delete this topic. I get you are done with it, but Chaser has some go info here and others may find it useful when searching.

For more edrum info, be sure to visit my web site at:
          www.HellfireDrums.com                    
My current set-up:  Alesis DM10 and Trigger I/O with modified & DIY pads

Offline Chaser

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 10:08:09 AM »
Well, apparently the problem is the compatibility with the pedal Alesis variable hi-hat (similar to the original Behringer pedal), I was thinking the problem was my cable but seems is the pedal.

When I connect the plug only works closed if I push it when I hit the cymbal but not alone...

Then when I push the pedal to close, the cymbal stuck with half open hi hat sound when I stop pushing the pedal...

I just bought the pedal today and seems I need to return it and search the open/close alesis pedal which works fine with that module... is kind of funny because the pedal say "open/close pedal" with a sticker but is a variable hi-hat.

Behringer still hasn't produced a manual so it's seems information is inconsistent at best.
The information I posted above about the voices is incorrect as there is 175.
Some retailers have it listed as 240...some as 123...I finally found a full brochure showing it's a HDS240USB module with 175 sounds.The link on the Behringer site for the XD80USB is wrong and links to the XD70USB.
It is definitely a Medeli rebrand but unlike the ones for Alesis the specs don't match any of the manuals I have access to.
It has a very limited version of the firmware.

A variable pedal (RealHat) has an Open-Closed range...a switch type pedal (DMHat) is Open/Closed.
There are many reporting in forums and other places that it is a variable pedal and not simple switch type including the Toontrack Forum where no response was ever given.The pedal has 3 positions..open...1/2 open and closed..they are all having problems with mapping the Hi Hat

There is another variable pedal out there that was recently blown out on ebay described as a V2 Hybrid Pedal .. a cross between a RealHat and a DMHat pedal that had a warning it was only compatible with the Nitro/Mesh (Medeli DD512-514) and a couple others.
Here is the link to the expired/sold out listing...

"This listing is for a brand new newly redesigned Alesis DMHat hi-hat controller that ships with the Nitro Mesh kit. It is designed to work with the DM7X module that ships with the Nitro and Nitro Mesh kits. It may work with other Alesis modules. When attached to the DM7X module, you get open, closed, and partially opened sounds. It's a hybrid between a variable vs. open/closed controller. Alesis DM10, Crimson, Forge, Command and DM8 modules require a variable controller, but we have not tested this controller on those modules. If anyone has experience, we would love to know. "

I do not have one of these pedals.

The sellers description doesn't mention the DM6 Nitro which actually comes with the DM6 kit/triggers..but not the DM6 module.

DM6 Nitro states shipped with the DMHat.The Nitro images shows the DMHat.The Nitro Mesh shows the DMHat V2..
All use the same module (DD512-514)..possibly different firmware.This is where it gets confusing with all the Kits with Similar names.

You may have purchased one of these Hybrid Pedals...DMHat V2 and needed the DMHat V1.
The V2 has an Oval pedal.. 1/8" jack....V1 had 2 housings with one similar to the Realhat and has the old style pedal.. 1/4" jack

Since there is no XD80USB manual to confirm which pedal type you actually need.. I would connect the pedal to the XD80USB module then to a computer and use a MIDI monitor like MIDIOX (Windows) or MIDI MONITOR (Mac) and see if the module sends CC4 info or not.
This will confirm which pedal you need......

EDIT:
After some more research ..there is 2 of the DMHat V2 (Oval top) pedals..
This one 1/4" jack...also used for a kick pedal

"This is the kick pedal that comes with the Alesis Turbo Mesh Kit, and has a 1/4 output.  It can also be used as a HiHat Control.  PLEASE NOTE:  This pedal is not compatible with the Nitro Module since it can't be changed from "pad" to "switch" for the kick function.  It will work with the Alesis Turbo, DM6, and any other module where the kick function can be set to "switch".  Please read carefully and make sure this pedal is compatible with your kit before buying."   

This one
1/8" jack (Nitro)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 02:02:49 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2020, 05:49:55 PM »

Since there is no XD80USB manual to confirm which pedal type you actually need.. I would connect the pedal to the XD80USB module then to a computer and use a MIDI monitor like MIDIOX (Windows) or MIDI MONITOR (Mac) and see if the module sends CC4 info or not.

This is what I got pressing the hi-hat control button in the module.

edit: I found the pedal is compatible with my module apart of the Behringer pedal, see attachment pic.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 05:56:04 PM by ginnungagap »

Offline Chaser

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2020, 06:30:14 PM »

This is what I got pressing the hi-hat control button in the module.

edit: I found the pedal is compatible with my module apart of the Behringer pedal, see attachment pic.

The MIDIOX graphic just shows the pedal sending a note when pressed G# = 44...
A button on the module won't be accurate/interpret pedal position/CC4 info if the module sends it...you would need to connect a pedal..strike the cymbal and see if there is info between the strikes.

The pic shows a switch type.(open/closed) pedal.
The DMHat or if overseas etc the Millenium Pedal (cheaper) will work..The Millenium also has a polarity switch for added compatibility.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 06:39:08 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2020, 06:57:39 PM »

The DMHat or if overseas etc the Millenium Pedal (cheaper) will work..The Millenium also has a polarity switch for added compatibility.

Did you know if KAT Percussion KT-HC1 Hi-Hat Controller is similar, I can see a little white piece like the switch inside of the Alesis one I am looking for.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 06:59:27 PM by ginnungagap »

Offline Chaser

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2020, 07:07:41 PM »

Did you know if KAT Percussion KT-HC1 Hi-Hat Controller is similar, I can see a little white piece like the switch inside of the Alesis one I am looking for.

The KAT KT-HC1 is specifically designed to work with the KAT KTMP1 Multipad.
If you look closely... all of these Hi Hat pedal from different companies have the same housing..they are just rebranded with different top/pedals..

« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 07:11:16 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2020, 07:23:29 PM »

If you look closely... all of these Hi Hat pedal from different companies have the same housing..they are just rebranded with different top/pedals..

I just found that pedal on amazon after my response and the reviews says is compatible with the Behringer kit, so, may I try this one.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 07:29:55 PM by ginnungagap »

Offline Chaser

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2020, 08:12:30 PM »

I just found that pedal on amazon after my response and the reviews says is compatible with the Behringer kit, so, may I try this one.

To be honest ..it's an old pedal (2015?) and looks to be exactly the same as the DMHat..the Millenium..and many others.....just like the KT-HC2 is exactly like the ReaHat..Millenium etc only instead of being listed as  continuous /variable in the description..it is "5" position.The white piece you mentioned is just a little tab/switch that gets flipped as the pedal goes up and down.Both of these pedal designs are going on 10-15 years old (at least) and different companies tend to write their own product descriptions for the same exact thing.
The only pedal I have a question on is the newer versions of the DMHat V2 which is the only pedal I haven't owned or have multiple of laying around.The housing hasn't changed...the jack is 2 sizes
I'll have to get one just to confirm what exactly "Hybrid" means...

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2020, 08:28:44 PM »
The white piece you mentioned is just a little tab/switch that gets flipped as the pedal goes up and down.Both of these pedal designs are going on 10-15 years old (at least) and different companies tend to write their own product descriptions for the same exact thing.

I think the first version of the Alesis DM6 had the design with the white tab, I had one kit of those in 2010 (I think was released in 2009), I've been testing some pedals, but my friend have an old Alesis DM6 kit and works fine.

I know the rebrand thing, but I saw a Millenium pedal in my country but is a variable hi-hat like the DMHiHat with the rubber, so, is been kind of annoying asking and returning pedals just to test them.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 08:30:51 PM by ginnungagap »

Offline Chaser

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2020, 08:53:17 PM »
The white piece you mentioned is just a little tab/switch that gets flipped as the pedal goes up and down.Both of these pedal designs are going on 10-15 years old (at least) and different companies tend to write their own product descriptions for the same exact thing.

I think the first version of the Alesis DM6 had the design with the white tab, I had one kit of those in 2010 (I think was released in 2009), I've been testing some pedals, but my friend have an old Alesis DM6 kit and works fine.

I know the rebrand thing, but I saw a Millenium pedal in my country but is a variable hi-hat like the DMHiHat with the rubber, so, is been kind of annoying asking and returning pedals just to test them.

The rebranding has made things confusing over the years ...
I also purchased a few sets for X-mas gifts when they came out back then..only they weren't called DM6 here...they were "Prodrums" and the Kick and Hi Hat pedal were the same pedal (switch type) but completely different top/pedal design which changed later on.