Author Topic: How to successfully use my DM10X during videochat (Skype)  (Read 111 times)

How to successfully use my DM10X during videochat (Skype)
« on: July 08, 2020, 06:00:43 AM »
Hi,

I have an Alesis DM10X electronic drum kit and I am wondering if it is possible to convert te sound it produces to my personal computer so that my drum teacher can "hear" what I play in real time using Skype (or another similar software program).

I know this is a specific question and my goal is to succesfully have drum lessons via videochat.

Otherwise I have to buy an expensive speaker to connect to my kit and do it that way (which is also a possibility but way more expensive).

Thanks already for answereing my question!

Kind regards,

Pluisjenl91

Offline Hellfire

Re: How to successfully use my DM10X during videochat (Skype)
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 09:39:17 AM »
Hi,

I have an Alesis DM10X electronic drum kit and I am wondering if it is possible to convert te sound it produces to my personal computer so that my drum teacher can "hear" what I play in real time using Skype (or another similar software program).

I know this is a specific question and my goal is to succesfully have drum lessons via videochat.

Otherwise I have to buy an expensive speaker to connect to my kit and do it that way (which is also a possibility but way more expensive).

Thanks already for answereing my question!

Kind regards,

Pluisjenl91

Welcome to the forum Plusijenl91.

There are a few different ways to go about this. IMHO, the easiest method is to get a small audio mixer and plug your edrums in one channel and your mic in another channel. Then send that output to the mic/line in jack on your PC.

Be aware that when you monitor your output via headphone from the headphone out of your PC, there will be a noticeable delay. Some of the delay will be from your hardware and some of it will be from Skype.

As to what device/mixer to get, that's up to you. I have no recommendations on equipment.

I hope that helps.
For more edrum info, be sure to visit my web site at:
          www.HellfireDrums.com                    
My current set-up:  Alesis DM10 and Trigger I/O with modified & DIY pads

Re: How to successfully use my DM10X during videochat (Skype)
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2020, 08:03:06 AM »
Hi,

Thank you very much for your suggestions! I will look at them.