Author Topic: Nitro, steven slate ssd4 and reaper  (Read 3800 times)

Nitro, steven slate ssd4 and reaper
« on: May 06, 2018, 08:38:51 AM »
I am completely new to electronic drums. Never had any never played any. I am retired and wanting to play with a couple of friends for fun. The Nitro set is all I need but I wanted better sounds from the pads and cymbals. I got ssd4 and reaper after they were recommended. Don't have a clue how to hook all this up. i have read and looked at the software info and programs until my eyes hurt. Asked for help from Slate and Reaper but they don't seem to understand when I say I am COMPLETELY NEW. Their help leaves me right where I was when I asked for help. Don't want to do anything fancy just get it hooked up so I can use ssd4 with the Nitro. ANY help will be truly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Offline VandalX

Re: Nitro, steven slate ssd4 and reaper
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 10:55:44 AM »
I was relatively new to the e-drum space back in December, so I understand your situation. I don't have a Nitro kit (mine is a DM10 MKII Pro- not a lot of people use these it turns out!), but the basics should be the same. Your question is a big one. Kinda like someone getting a car and trying to figure out how internal combustion engines work before they can drive the car. Add to that gravitational forces, temperature, moon phase and human physiology and you'll get to eventually put the car in "D" and move forward. It's not that complicated, but I understand how it can seem daunting. 

So first, I am going to assume you have a laptop or other computer that's running SSD4. If you've installed it and can get sounds to work directly on the computer, then try using Reaper to use SSD as a plug-in VSTi. You can do this in Reaper by going to "Insert....Virtual Instrument on New Track..." then select your SSD plug-in. I use Addictive Drums 2, but the process should be the same. Reaper will ask how you want to route the plug-in tracks. Make your selection (in AD2, I route all outputs from my VST as separate tracks. You can also select a stereo-only routing, which might be preferable as you learn how these things work for you).

Now, as for Reaper seeing your Alesis module as a MIDI device, you need to go to "Preferences" and select AUDIO>>MIDI DEVICES and find your module. It should be listed there if your system setup is configured properly. I am a Mac user, so I just plugged it in and the Core Audio did the rest. I can't help you set this part up in a Windows environment, though I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who can chime in if that's the case.

Okay, let's pretend you've been successful in adding the SSD plug-in to a reaper track. You should be able to play various instruments (drum kit pieces) in the VSTi plug-in window. Again, I'm not sure how SSD integrates, but if it's VST/AU or RTAS-capable, then the setup should be the same for any plug-in. If you get banging sounds (e.g. drums) coming through your headphones, step one is done!

Now you need to figure out if you have enough RAM on your computer to play things without latency. This can be a problem, as this kind of setup does tend to eat your CPU's memory. I tried doing it with a Macbook AIR that only had 2 Gigs of RAM (my new one has 8 gig and works flawlessly), and despite my playing with buffer size settings, I was getting either distortion, or clicks and pops as my system tried to keep up. I ended up getting an EXTERNAL USB AUDIO INTERFACE to alleviate this issue. It works as a "external sound card," to allow better throughput of audio information. They are obviously USB-capable, and depending on the model you get, will have inputs and outputs for a variety of sources. I selected a Behringer UMC404HD. I love this thing! It was relatively inexpensive for what it accomplishes ($129 with a Musician's Friend coupon). I plug my iTunes source (for play-along tracks) into the Main inputs on the front of the unit, then run the USB to my computer. My Alesis module runs USB out to the computer (I don't use the midi ports). The Audio/Midi setup on my Mac does the rest insofar as routing the signals to and from the appropriate devices. Like I said, you can tinker with these settings in that utility if things aren't making noise. It just takes a little bit of poking around to get things up and running. Again, if you are running Windows, the basics are probably similar, but the specifics aren't something I can comment on.

Once you get your module and VST (SSD4) recognized by Reaper, you can start playing around with the functions of Reaper. They have a pretty useful forum on their site for user-specific issues. It's a really good program. I tried out Pro Tools, and that thing is a nightmare compared to Reaper. At least in my experience. It's powerful, inexpensive and it feels intuitive once you get used to the big picture of digital audio and computer/external source integration. Using a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) is a whole other topic unrelated to getting your hardware working properly, but just play around once you get appropriate signals. There are a ton of settings and options in Reaper that can feel ovewhelming, but if you just focus on recording tracks, it's similar to any other recording device. You can start playing with other effects, track adjustments, output options, etc., as you get comfortable with its workflow. I entered this realm not too long ago, but I'm finding it pretty easy to navigate and troubleshoot once things are up and running. I'm sure there folks on here who can speak with more eloquence and technical expertise about your issues, but I thought I'd chime in with another Newbie perspective.

Good luck!
Alesis DM 10 MKII Pro (with Tama Iron Cobra double). Pearl Export acoustic. Fostex VF160EX Digital multitrack (16). Fostex monitors. Roland TR-626 drum machine. Roland Juno 106 Poly synth. Aria Knight Warrior. Peavy Fury. Digitech GNX3000. Digitech RP360. Tascam Porta 05 four track. MacBook Air.

Offline Rmiller

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 02:03:52 PM »
First get a usb audio interface. You don’t need reaper unless you are going to record and many other uses. You can connect things in different ways. If you have more than one USB port available on your computer plug your module into one and the audio interface into the other ( can use a usb hub if necessary and it’s best if it is a powered hub). Use the audio interface physical outputs to connect to your external sound source I.e. powered monitors, amp, mixer etc. Depending if you use a Mac or Windows machine, you will need to set the inputs and outputs and channels accordingly. Instructions should come with the audio interface. Also tons of info on the net. Open SSD4 and select the input and output channels once your computer recognizes your audio interface and depending on how many physical inputs/outputs you have. Look at the USB side like a mixing bus that can have many inputs going out of assigned physical audio outputs, mono or stereo. Get familiar with midi channels and ports as well as note and message assignments I.e. 0 thru 127 for general midi. This is how your your pads trigger an assigned sound in a VST like SSD4. Some VST’s come with preset midi mapping for a given module brand that you select in the VST setup menu. May have to map some things manually. Edrums are almost always on midi channel 10 (16 channels in midi). Again ton of technical know how on the net depending on your setup. Once you get set up and getting everything mapped (cymbals, drums etc. triggering correctly to the assignments in SSD4, make sure you save your settings as the default for startup. After all of that then you can start messing around with reaper. Reaper is a DAW (digital audio workstation) designed for recording etc. I use Logic Pro extensively for this as well as some of it’s internal instruments. Not real familiar with reaper but you should be able to assign a set of tracks that SSD4 will load into. Hope this helps. For specifics will need to know your specific and entire equipment setup.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 02:14:59 PM by Rmiller »

Offline AlanK

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 11:58:05 AM »
First get a usb audio interface. If you have more than one USB port available on your computer plug your module into one and the audio interface into the other

Just wanted to check this statement out, as I'm fairly sure you need to go from the module to the audio interface first, then the AI out to your computer. For my setup, I have a Tascam with both types of midi connections (USB as well as the old school DIN type plug). My DM10 goes old style DIN cable to the AI, then USB midi out from the AI to my PC.. since the USB is bi-directional it sends audio back to my interface, which I have output to a mixer which goes to my phones and/or speakers.
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline VandalX

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 12:42:55 PM »
I suppose there are a couple of setup options. I run my module to the computer via USB, and the external interface (Behringer UMC404HD) is connected to the laptop as well. Both run through a powered USB hub connected to one USB port on the laptop. I don't use the midi (DIN) from the module at all. I configure the ins/outs in my Audio/Midi setup utility (Macbook Air). Works as expected.
Alesis DM 10 MKII Pro (with Tama Iron Cobra double). Pearl Export acoustic. Fostex VF160EX Digital multitrack (16). Fostex monitors. Roland TR-626 drum machine. Roland Juno 106 Poly synth. Aria Knight Warrior. Peavy Fury. Digitech GNX3000. Digitech RP360. Tascam Porta 05 four track. MacBook Air.

Offline Rmiller

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 10:59:27 PM »
I have connected my dm10 both ways, usb to computer, then computer to interface also via usb. I have also connected the module to the interface via usb and computer to interface via usb. My last setup was 2 midi controllers and dm10 to a usb bus then to laptop computer and computer to interface via the bus as well. I am using a 2017 Mac book pro and an iConnect audio4 interface. It’s all in the routing. My preferred setup was the dm10 to the interface due to the iConnects USB port functions.That interface has 2 type b USB ports, a usb host port and midi din in and out. You can plug 8 usb midi devices, 1 din midi, iPad,iPhone or 2 computers, or any combination of them. You can mix all the devices via mix buses as well as with the 4 analog ins (line, instrument, or mic xlr w 48v phantom power. 4 stereo outs and 2 headphone outs. I run 3 stand alone vst’s sometimes, 1 each for the keyboards and AD2 for the drums. Sometimes I run them all thru Logic Pro. Sometimes I’ll run a keyboard thru my iPad. The combinations are endless, but it’s still all in the routing both hardwire and software.  And I never experience latency problems. I have recorded an entire band (guitar, bass, keyboards, drums, vocals) thru the setup. I am currently using a drumit3 module and am just now learning it. I also think it comes down to which interface you are using. I have the outs of my interface going into a mixer then to speaker system. When playing live I don’t use the analog ins on the interface, those go directly to the mixer.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 11:06:54 PM by Rmiller »