Author Topic: Happy New Alesis Drummer  (Read 3228 times)

Offline Dartanbeck

Re: Happy New Alesis Drummer
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2019, 08:25:40 PM »
The new Ahead sticks are incredible! I love the feel!

Me too!  I thought about getting another set just to have a backup!

--
Shawn
Absolutely!

A Strike kit has made it's way firmly onto the top of my wishlist - either standard or pro, whichever I can afford at the time.

Again, depending on how the financing comes in, the Strike Multipad is in the next line but the two are swappable in regards to the amount of cash I can swing.

Also at the top of the list as a floating (buy whenever I can) option is either another DM10 module or a Pearl RedBox or both - just to help ensure that I never have to play without one.

Even when I get a Strike, I may just leave portions of my kit running through the DM10 module since I can change kit presets in the middle of a song without any form of hiccup. It just changes instantaneously and perfectly.

Another thought toward "wishing for things for the future" is to eventually build a kit at home using several multipads along with tom and bass pads and cymbal triggers to be set up for movie soundtrack/music writing purposes - playing it as other instruments that drums.

Again bringing up the point that, I can't wait to learn how to use the DM10's Chord and Arpeggio functions!!! :)
Alesis DM10X Mesh

Offline Iggford

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2019, 11:46:24 AM »
Absolutely!

A Strike kit has made it's way firmly onto the top of my wishlist - either standard or pro, whichever I can afford at the time.

Again, depending on how the financing comes in, the Strike Multipad is in the next line but the two are swappable in regards to the amount of cash I can swing.

Also at the top of the list as a floating (buy whenever I can) option is either another DM10 module or a Pearl RedBox or both - just to help ensure that I never have to play without one.

Even when I get a Strike, I may just leave portions of my kit running through the DM10 module since I can change kit presets in the middle of a song without any form of hiccup. It just changes instantaneously and perfectly.

Another thought toward "wishing for things for the future" is to eventually build a kit at home using several multipads along with tom and bass pads and cymbal triggers to be set up for movie soundtrack/music writing purposes - playing it as other instruments that drums.

Again bringing up the point that, I can't wait to learn how to use the DM10's Chord and Arpeggio functions!!! :)

The Strike Multipad is definitely on my list!!  It's about the last thing I am wanting to add to my gigging kit. 

I want to set up another Strike or A2E kit in a home studio, though.  That's my ultimate goal.  I'll have one for shows and one (probably bigger! :) ) in my studio.

I definitely like having my DM10 around.  I actually used my DM10 kit two weekends ago for a show in a smaller venue.  I still use my Strike module though.  However, I do keep the DM10 set up to mirror the Strike JUST in case I have a module failure.  I have both modules set up to work with the layout of both kits.  I've got 6 toms on my Strike kit but only 5 on the DM10.  The rack ran out of room!!

I agree, it would be cool to use the Multipads for instruments other than drums.  I've seen some video on all the different possibilities, and I can't wait to get ahold of one to try it out! 

--
Shawn

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2019, 05:43:01 PM »
Awesome! Keep Rockin' Brother!!!
Alesis DM10X Mesh

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2019, 10:38:53 PM »
I just had my first drumming woes from my DM10X Mesh - sort of.

The little pressed-in pin on my hi hat angle adjuster came out far enough that the thing was in a free-flow rotation. No biggies to fix, but to finish out the gig I just switched it with one of my crash cymbal pieces. Worked great.

Twas a fun (Fun!!!) Glam-80's gig! I haven't glammed out in over 20 years!

Alesis DM10X Mesh

Offline Iggford

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2019, 12:35:10 PM »
NICE!!!! :)

I hated those pins.  They used the same things on the Strike, but they changed them to where they could be tightened with the drum key.  I never had what I needed when I needed it with the ones on the DM10!

--
Shawn

Offline Liko

« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2019, 03:04:53 PM »
This thread has been a fun read.

I have recently purchased the Surge mesh and had figured that since I am 56 now and high school band was a long time ago I'd take much longer to get my groovy back ... but, that's not the case. I practice every day and it's like "yeah, I remember this" and the muscle memory is still in there somewhere. It's been quite a bit of fun.

I just started assigning "voices"(not the ones in my head) to my pads and I picked up some extension cables so I can move things around some. The Surge module is wired to their idea of where things go. Spacing the kit out required cables. Now I can put Tom 3 in "floor tom" spot and move the hi hat to the right where I prefer it. I had to put the frame together my way as "their way" just didn't work.

Anyhoo, assigning the sounds to the kit and changing kits on the fly is what I wanted to acknowledge and say, "yeah, I love that!" because I just started hanging around with a Salsa Band and some Jazz players here in the 55+ park where I live. The other part I like is that I can assign Tom 3 voice "1" just like my kick drum and now I can sneak in some speedy (double) bass drum action where I could not before. That, is super neato.

My only concern right now is that this surge kit was a neat place to start but I'll be swapping the module and ... well, I'm starting to look at a new kit by Christmas.

Thanks Dartanbeck for keeping us all in the know on your happenings as it's fun to be in the same mind with ya.

You cats have fun.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2019, 09:17:26 AM »
hi Liko! fellow 56'er here   8)

Welcome to the forum and glad to read about your return to drumming. I also had to lose my old acoustic kit back in the early 80s due to marriage and apartment living. Quarter century later I get drawn back in and rekindle the love of playing, plus get in with a new great gang of grey-haired's.. started in with a cheap used ekit that looked like one step up from the Rockband kits.. the bug took hold and soon after I was shopping for the best deal and got into the DM10X kit because I couldn't beat the price for the size and amount of pads and cymbals.

Ended up buying into Addictive Drums so now I only play through midi and my PC with this software, it's phenomenal. My life (2 divorces later) is inspiring again!

Enjoy brother
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, 682 white mesh cone conversion, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Tama saddle, Panasonic noise cancelling headphones, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2019, 08:31:09 AM »
Liko, glad you enjoyed my thread (so far)!

Yeah, getting the pads to where we really want them is the trick, eh? I've finally started suffering my first breakdowns on my kit... cymbals starting to go on Choke-only when I play them - so today I'll be trying to fix that. I'm not worried though because, even if I can't fix the cymbal pads, I can really use anything to trigger the cymbal sounds. I do love my cymbals though, so I'm going to try really hard!!! :)

But this is teaching me that I need to start a special collection jar for myself since I know, deep down, that e-kits are finite in lifespan. I need to save up and replace this amazing thing eventually. Honestly, as many live gigs as I've played with this, I can hardly believe how well it's holding up. Some of these shows get pretty energetic and I get to hitting those pads pretty darned hard!

The cool thing is that there will always be something from this kit that will work on my next one, and so on - that is, unless things make a really drastic change. But triggers can always send some kind of signal to something, so....

Oh man, Happy Drumming, my friend!
Alesis DM10X Mesh

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2019, 08:50:30 AM »
AlanK,

Yeah, I downloaded a trial version of some of the midi drum packs out there. I think it was Addictive Drums that I looked at mostly. I love hearing/reading feedback on using that stuff - especially for live gigging.

Two things have kept me from taking that direction: A - lack of 'extra' sounds and B - cost of a higher-end (and tough) laptop.

As for B, I play quite a few parties over a year, and weather doesn't always play nicely with e-gear. I have a nice and quick method for covering my module, but laptops can die so much easier. And for something like this, I'd want a pretty decent laptop, I think (?).

For A, I love the immense catalog of sounds in the DM10 module from agogo bells and gongs to car skid and crash to bass and guitar, horns, FX, and then all of the drums including old e-drum sounds. Granted, I haven't been using a lot of these extra sounds, but the kits that I've built from a midi drum pack were always lacking some of the sounds I do have assigned to my current kit.

But then there's the internet, We can always add pretty much any sound file we find to out midi collection, am I right?

So even though I've been on-the-fence about all of that, it's still on my mind to go that route eventually. I can't recall if it was Addictive Drums or another one that I was really impressed with the most. I do know that I ended up really liking the possibilities.

So maybe my new collection jar will get me to that point as well, one day!
Alesis DM10X Mesh

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2019, 08:52:03 AM »
Holy smokes, I've played a LOT of live gigs with this drum kit without a hitch. So it doesn't bother (or surprize) me that I've finally experienced trouble. I am so impressed with this thing!!!
Alesis DM10X Mesh

Offline Iggford

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2019, 04:01:10 PM »
That's what I've said about my Strike kit.  Granted, I did have to get my module replaced early on, but I've put this thing through so many shows, it took until just two months ago to get the dreaded snare plate crack that's going around.

I definitely can say I'm satisfied with the kit.  As long as you have a backup option, you don't have to stress over possibilities.  My DM10 is a VERY solid backup module, so I'm able to go in confident at each gig!

--
Shawn