Author Topic: Uploading custom sounds  (Read 4589 times)

Uploading custom sounds
« on: October 16, 2015, 10:32:52 AM »
Hello,
I am new to the forum. I have an Alesis DM8 pro and a Ludwig acoustic set. I am wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to somehow record sounds from my acoustic set and upload to my module or do I have to take the midi out of the module and go through a computer? If this subject has been addressed please forward me to the correct forum.
Thanks,
Paul

Offline Trondster

Re: Uploading custom sounds
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 10:48:12 AM »
No, you can't upload sounds to the module. If you want different sounds, use a VST on a computer, and hook up your module to the computer with a USB cable to transfer the MIDI notes.
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 11:20:04 PM »
In dm8 you cant, only in dm10 you can change the sounds =(.
Greetings
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 11:29:30 PM by RobOP »

Offline Trondster

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 03:51:16 AM »
In the Dm10 you have one option - the Blue Jay sound library. But - that sound set has its faults - I prefer the stock sound library.
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 10:59:35 AM »
In DM10 you can add your custom sounds. It isn't so hard and you need to have a little knowledge of editing files. In short we must take the "SYX" file, and convert it to raw file (.rom), replace the wav file for your file, then re-pass the raw to "SYX". Load it into the DM10 and bingo.

I managed to do this thanks to an advanced user of this forum (Fabricio Dias or fmgdias). The problem is you can only use sounds equal to or shorter than those present in the system. Various sounds in "SoundFX" folder may be replaced with this method without disturbing the rest of the sounds ..

Maybe I should write a tutorial about it, since the tool was interesting to add short samples. however, I am not clear the limits of copyright to modify the ROM and if it's illegal adding more features to the system, considering that there is only one soundset :o

Greetings

Offline Sharkuel

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 05:47:03 PM »
RobOP, i actually spoke with Fabricio Dias via e-mail quite some time ago, and he was at the time developing a "super soundset" that included both the bluejay soundset, stock cymbals and some other additions, but he dropped the ball because he was worried that Alesis would put him in court, or something. So, and since you mentioned that, what did you accomplish? I am quite interested in this because this is the ultimate DM10 potential unlocker.
Megadrum 32 inputs with positional sensing add-on.

Cone centered DIY triggers in snare and toms.

8" racktom
10" racktom
12" racktom
14" floortom

Roland VH13
Lemon Cymbals

"Life is short, death is near, but one's word lives forever

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 07:37:51 PM »
wow, you went over to talk to him directly and the purpose of him was even bigger.

What I achieved was more simple. replace some funny sounds coming into the system by some of my sounds. As I mentioned I used the tools developed by Fabricio. The disadvantages are that you must use a file of equal or smaller size. I guess replace those sounds was easier because they do not have layers or different files for each instrument or dynamic.

As I say, it's not a big deal, but it helps if you're not near a computer and want to use your sounds. But, The potential is enormous if you record your drums and loads some files, giving it a more personal touch to your DM10.

Greetings