Author Topic: Songs that made you want to drum...  (Read 15257 times)

Re: Songs that made you want to drum...
« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2019, 12:32:01 PM »
Personal songs i use toplay to warm up and "get in the ring "

Tush   ZZ top

Double vision    foreigner

one in a million    Electric mary

« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2021, 02:33:14 PM »
Neil Peart
John Bonham
Jeff Porcaro
Steve Gadd
Nick Mason
To name just a few !

« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2021, 08:24:36 PM »
When I was in fifth grade, our local high school did a talent show at our school. After the show, one of the bands stayed late and rocked out to My Sharona.

Right there and then I knew I wanted to play the drums.

Offline Joker47

« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2021, 06:30:11 PM »
For me, it was multiple songs, not just one. A whole album.

The first time I heard "Moving Pictures", and had never heard drumming like that before, I had to start.

J
Alesis DM10 MKll Pro kit w/full size kick and offset Eclipse double bass pedal; Dual Alesis Strike modules; Strike cymbals; Zildjian L80 hi hat; 12 channel mixer; Strike SE snare

« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2021, 03:14:24 AM »
Yep, heard Tom Sawyer and that was it...

« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2022, 12:07:48 PM »

Pierre van der Linden, Hocus Pocus.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2022, 08:13:36 PM »
hey, another Focus fan?? man, I was so into them in the 70's.. I convinced our band to play Sylvia back in the early 80's when we got a keyboard player.. I still have about 3 of their records in my collection :-)
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2022, 05:00:48 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APbogD9uwFU

but the studio version hooked me first.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2022, 10:34:54 PM »
Awesome, I have that Rush in Rio dvd. I was 11 when the first Rush album came out I think.. bought it.. then Caress of Steel, then Fly By Night, and then, oh man.. 2112 when I was 13 and as a budding drummer and getting drawn into Progressive Rock, and of course LSD, that album was the mind blower.. the one I'd put on when I came home still tripping out on acid or straight, it was my go to before my Led Zeppelin addiction. What an album.. of course I had to buy All The World's a Stage and Farewell to Kings, and Hemispheres.. and and and.. lol.. I've never stopped loving them.

Fun fact, when I was 16 and a councellor in training at summer camp, I had a girlfriend from Willowdale and she said Neil's family's house was behind hers.. she didn't really know the band so it could have been Geddy or Alex now that I think of it, but I'm fairly sure it was the Pearts because I was so jealous and the drummer connection thing.. I went to visit her once but never got to take a walk around the block to see if anyone was around.. judging by how down to earth they were I bet if anyone WAS out on the lawn or in the backyard they'd be ok to have a stranger/fan say hi. What an awesome era to be a teenager.
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2022, 08:22:40 AM »
Awesome, I have that Rush in Rio dvd. I was 11 when the first Rush album came out I think.. bought it.. then Caress of Steel, then Fly By Night, and then, oh man.. 2112 when I was 13 and as a budding drummer and getting drawn into Progressive Rock, and of course LSD, that album was the mind blower.. the one I'd put on when I came home still tripping out on acid or straight, it was my go to before my Led Zeppelin addiction. What an album.. of course I had to buy All The World's a Stage and Farewell to Kings, and Hemispheres.. and and and.. lol.. I've never stopped loving them.

Fun fact, when I was 16 and a councellor in training at summer camp, I had a girlfriend from Willowdale and she said Neil's family's house was behind hers.. she didn't really know the band so it could have been Geddy or Alex now that I think of it, but I'm fairly sure it was the Pearts because I was so jealous and the drummer connection thing.. I went to visit her once but never got to take a walk around the block to see if anyone was around.. judging by how down to earth they were I bet if anyone WAS out on the lawn or in the backyard they'd be ok to have a stranger/fan say hi. What an awesome era to be a teenager.

Great story!

I was 14 years old. The local rock radio station played 2112 one night for the Midnite Album and I was taping it, because that is what you did in the day. Those incredible fills totally grabbed me when I first heard them.

I had drum sticks but not drums yet. I laid out books of different thicknesses on my bed, replayed the 2112 intro, and immediately tried to copy some of his fills. Been a Rush fan ever since.