Author Topic: Alesis SR-18 - How do you edit the drum sounds an individual pad makes?  (Read 7641 times)

Hello,  I am driving myself crazy trying to figure this out.  I am trying to edit a drum set.  I am trying to edit the sound that an individual pad makes.  For example pad # 3.  I have followed the instructions in the book but I can not get into the mode that will allow me to change the sound of pad 3.  For this example,  I wish to add a 4th tom to the drum set.  I just can not figure out how to get into the right mode to allow me to edit pad 3 to a different drum sound!  Any help or assistance you can give me would be greatly appreaciated!

Offline vtdrummer

Re: Alesis SR-18 - How do you edit the drum sounds an individual pad makes?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 11:49:36 AM »
I have NO idea if this is even CLOSE, but I just got a Performance Pad Pro, and I think it's a similar engine... On it, there is a Page UP, Page Down, for each pad.  Use that to change the pages in the "Drum Set" screen, and one of the pages (Page 3 on the Perf Pad Pro), has the instrument assigned to the pad.

Now, if I could just figure out how to save a kit... it won't let me!!!
DM10 Studio 2011 w/Surge Cymbals added, BB Mesh head conversion w/rubber muffs at bottom, one 12" A-E pad, Simmons DA200S, sometimes using 2 satellite speakers... Simmons SDMP-1 Multi-pad.
See my DIY 12" Acoustic to E-Drum project post here: http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=1227

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 12:07:34 PM »
I own an SR18. It has been a while since I used it but, I'll give it a shot anyway. If I recall, you first have to create a new drum kit (make sure you are in USER mode). I don't think the SR-18 allows you to save over the stock kits. Once you create a new drum kit, you should be able to assign each pad how ever you want. If I get some time today, I will pull my SR-18 out and play around with it. I know I have at least one custom kit on it. I labeled it "Leverage" which was our band name. I'll report back what I find out.

BTW, welcome to the forum JOEinMARYLAND.

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 02:27:00 PM »
Thanks for the help so far!  I did go through the page up & page down.  I stumbled upon the settings!  Now I am going to shut it down and see if I can find them again!  Sure was not easy to find at first!

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 11:33:16 AM »
Hello,  I am driving myself crazy trying to figure this out.  I am trying to edit a drum set.  I am trying to edit the sound that an individual pad makes.  For example pad # 3.  I have followed the instructions in the book but I can not get into the mode that will allow me to change the sound of pad 3.  For this example,  I wish to add a 4th tom to the drum set.  I just can not figure out how to get into the right mode to allow me to edit pad 3 to a different drum sound!  Any help or assistance you can give me would be greatly appreaciated!
Okay, I think I've got this figured out. When you turn on your SR-18 press the "DRUM SET" button. Next press the "PRESET/USER" button. You will now be in the "Drum Set" mode "User" kits. Scroll to the drum kit you wish to edit. Next press the "PAGE" up arrow button so you are on page 3. At this point you should see the Kick sound selected. Press the pad you want to edit. You will see the screen change to that buttons current sound selection. Using the scroll wheel, select the new sound you want for that pad.

Now, press and hold down the "SAVE/COPY" button. While holding down the "SAVE/COPY" button press and hold down the red "REC (ENTER)" button until you can read "SET SAVED" once you have read that message let go of both button. Your change is now saved.

Please keep in mind this only works in the Drum set user bank. If you try to save a preset, once you turn it off and turn it back on you will loose that setting on the preset. You will notice however, that the SR-18 will have saved that change to the user kit that corresponds to the preset kit.

Only the "USER" drum kits can be edited. I hope that helps.