Author Topic: Steven Slate and Trigger IO  (Read 5065 times)

Steven Slate and Trigger IO
« on: March 02, 2010, 03:17:42 PM »
Hi,
Well i for one took up the steven slate ex for $20 (about £13) and I am lovin it. Took a bit of setting up and has a few niggles im still working on but overall I think i will stick with it.
Initially I used edrum monitor mainly because of the hi hat cc being cc4 not cc1 as SSD wants, but then i found any trigger IO kit above 4 worked with out edrum monitor. Also the hi hat clamp (SSD term not mine) triggers right were it should, as the pedal closes completley.
After reading of some of the issues others seem to come across I thought i would let you guys know that my IO seems to work fine with SSD for kits 4 up (havent tried them all but did go to about 10). I did have to change some of the midi notes on the IO for other triggers but this is no big deal if the hi hat works IMHO.
I checked the IO manual and it only has the midi maps for kits 0-4 as the rest are meant to be user kits i believe. Maybe the user kits output on cc1 or i have faulty IO and if this is the case i have never been happier to have a faulty product.
Blimey I almost wrote an essay............
Cheers
Noj

Offline ghostman

Re: Steven Slate and Trigger IO
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 05:24:42 PM »
That's great and odd..  I need to take a look at maybe using a default kit above 4.  I think I was using preset 20, but I had modified 19 and 20 for use with my MIDI keyboard.  I've been hunting around reading about the SSD and the trigger IO, and it seems the biggest issue is the CC hi-hat.

Great info, and since the $20 was one that it seems a lot of folks took advantage of, this thread will be helpful in debugging issues.

Thanks!
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.

Offline ghostman

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 01:37:47 PM »
Well, I didn't find your statement of kits 0-4 to be true, my hi-hat workings didn't work in any kit - but then I didn't do a system reset to factory defaults, either.  Which I probably should have for a true test.  Regardless, I downloaded MIDI Pipe (I am on a Mac) and set it up ton intercept CC4 signal, reverse it and send it on to SSD as CC4.

Also, it was key to set the hi-hat MIDI notes to the KDC note number (I used 67).

Hats work great, now!

BTW, I had no clue how to set up MIDI Pipe, I found this video tutorial on youTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hHByfJWAf0

And, the thread I found this info on is on the Steven Slate forums:
http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=703

Cheers!
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 03:42:48 PM »
Hi Ghostman, all i can say is it works on mine, not sure why but im glad it does :) . I did use edrum monitor to start with and set it up by following the guide u posted above on the SSD forum. Dont get me wrong edrum monitor worked really well i just prefer not to have to use a third party app. Hopefully a future update to SSD will add some support for the Trigger IO.
How are you finding SSD? I love it, would be even better if I could work out how to make kontakt auto load a kit on startup, but thats no big problem. I have also just bought 2 expansion packs for $50 (£33), I got the rock classic and metal and more, downloading right now :).

Offline ghostman

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 01:42:38 AM »
I am liking SSD a lot.  I don't think I'll buy anymore packs - even though they are cheap.  I think that what I have is okay.  I do hate that most VST's only have 4 toms - I like to have 5 or 6 for variety.  I guess that's the old 80's metalhead in me!!  There's a lot to mess around with in SSD, I've barely scratched the surface.  I need more time to play with it!

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 06:44:52 AM »
I am liking SSD a lot.  I don't think I'll buy anymore packs - even though they are cheap.  I think that what I have is okay.  I do hate that most VST's only have 4 toms - I like to have 5 or 6 for variety.  I guess that's the old 80's metalhead in me!!  There's a lot to mess around with in SSD, I've barely scratched the surface.  I need more time to play with it!
if you need help adding a 5th tom let me know im running one with the ni interface theres so much you can do its a tweakers paradise...lol
the process of a thought is only stirred on by creative ingenuity

Offline ghostman

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 12:14:30 PM »
if you need help adding a 5th tom let me know im running one with the ni interface theres so much you can do its a tweakers paradise...lol

ni = Native Instruments?  I assume you are talking about the Kontact player.
I was looking at how to add stuff, the issue with SSD, is that the MIDI notes are not editable.  I was thinking about adding a tom instead of the extra cymbal, and tweaking it a bit, but haven't tried anything.  If you can write up some simple instructions as a how-to, that would be great.

I watched a Steven Stlate you tube vid yesterday on how to build your own multi, and that was pretty easy - I didn't learn anything new.  In fact, it provided me with more questions to ask.  The first thing he does is adds 2 different bass drums to the Multi - but I could only hear one bass drum at a time, and I had to click on the drum in order to hear it - Why he adds 2 bass drums is confusing, since only one is accessable.  I thought maybe one would be on MIDI note 35, and the other on 36..  nooooo.. confusing..

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 04:40:42 PM »
yes ghost native instruments basically you add another tom i used tom 4 cause its a floor tom and once you add it you can rename it to tom 5 goto tom 3 and click the setting you have to remap it disable the main and remap to g3 i belive them set tom 5 to g3 its alil more work around but the amount of things you can tweak far out wieghts this unlike toontracks where you can just click a sound hit the learn and hit your drum and it programs it maybe ni will get to this in future addtions of kp
the process of a thought is only stirred on by creative ingenuity