Author Topic: What software to use?  (Read 4492 times)

What software to use?
« on: February 20, 2010, 04:10:23 PM »
I'm still not sure on which I want to use, bfd2 or superiour drummer. There's lots of info on both, but rarely in  direct comparison.
Anyone that has experience with both or perhaps other options?
Pros, cons, experiences?

Re: What software to use?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 06:58:08 PM »
did you see that thread on steven slate drums ex for 20 bucks its a steal and is full of just as many features as the rest plus it has 6 exspansion packs you can buy fairly cheap to give you a pethera of possiblities
i have tried bfd drumagog toontracks and a few others they all have there own pros and cons but any can yield you what you wanna do i prefer the interface of bfd2 to toontracks but im likeing the steven slate its a konnect interface and if youve used any native instrument products it will be a breeze and you can use drum agog files with it too so it makes it even more versitile
the process of a thought is only stirred on by creative ingenuity

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 12:56:03 PM »
Seems like a screaming deal. The logical next question:
Do u use it as stand-alone software or as a plugin? And what host could u recommend?

Offline ghostman

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 02:02:23 PM »
Seems like a screaming deal. The logical next question:
Do u use it as stand-alone software or as a plugin? And what host could u recommend?

I just got it, and it comes with the Kontact player (which apparently, a few other VST's use).  This player loads the samples and provides you the MIDI interface.  I've owned it and had it installed for 4 hours now, and I have one corrupt file I am trying to figure out.  For all practical purposes, it is standalone, as far as you don't have to purchase anything else.  the Kontact docs says it can be used as a plugin or as a player.  Host?  I am not sure your question, if you mean computer.  Use a Mac, but that's my standard answer! :D
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 09:43:36 AM »
Ghostman, I bet your having trouble with the "Absolute rock kit"?

If that is the case there is an easy fix. Instead of choosing the V-drum kits choose from the keyboard kits. They are the same kits but they are mapped a little different, same sounds and it loads fine on the keyboard kit.

The "keyboard" kits are better also because you get more note mapping options for example ride x ,, there are no mappings for the x ride in the VD kits but there are on the keyboard maps. I think this is true for the crash a and crash B also. Anyway if you look at that midi map sticky and compare you will see what I'm talking about. 

Another good thing to do is to go into options and go to the search / DB tab. Clear the default and point it directly to your sound library folder. In my case I have the Library on a USB thumb drive because it's faster than a external hard drive. The reason for doing this is so that it only indexes that folder instead of the whole hard drive. --------------BZ

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 11:52:54 AM »
Total n00b here - can anyone explain how to use this?

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 12:26:57 PM »
Total n00b here - can anyone explain how to use this?
first what are using for a tmi ( trigger midi interface) and what program do you have then we can go from there

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 03:00:58 PM »
I'm using a DM5. What do you mean, what program? This does nothing by itself?

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 07:21:55 AM »
these programs ssd,bfd,toontracks etc are a vst program for daw's such as cubase cakewalk protools etc... it allows you to trigger yoour edrums in the recording realm without using the sounds in your dm5 it provides you with a professional sounding kit to record with.

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 09:59:14 AM »
So... I can't do that with the Kontakt 3 player?

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 12:51:36 PM »
sure you can im using a dm5 with ssd  wich uses the kontak interface you have your dm5 midi to your pc?

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 03:59:01 PM »
Yeah, I'm using the UM-1G from Cakewalk.
Update: I managed to get it to get input from my kit, but is it possible to have it map to different notes to output to a different device?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 06:59:59 PM by jwideman »

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 08:20:28 PM »
look in this section of the forum for ssd midi map take the notes for what trigger you want to assign and use the ex trig on your dm and set the midi note to reflex that note and also in ssd you can remap most of the drums except for the xslots i remapped the tom3 so i could add the 5th tom

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 11:09:00 PM »
Maybe I didn't understand you...
What I want to do is send out different midi notes than the ones coming in, specific ones, and in some cases sending out the same note from two pads - but getting different sounds.

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 09:18:29 AM »
Maybe I didn't understand you...
What I want to do is send out different midi notes than the ones coming in, specific ones, and in some cases sending out the same note from two pads - but getting different sounds.
technically your not reciving midi info back you only send it unless you are making program changes and using your tmi in a program such as reason etc... you can send out the same midi note from 2 pads but you wont get differnt sounds you have to have a specfic note for each sound in this instance you can layer sounds (poly) but as i told you about the midi map each drum or cymb sound has  a specfic midi note  you go in your dm5 and place that note for the pad you want to trigger that sound

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 11:31:29 AM »
I guess I should be much more specific...
I want to send the remapped notes to GHWT - which can only see a limited set of notes - while still getting the better hit sounds from SSD.
If this won't do that, then I guess I can try getting MIDI Yoke to work and use MIDI-OX to remap.