Author Topic: question from newbie dummy  (Read 3590 times)

question from newbie dummy
« on: December 19, 2009, 05:03:39 AM »
Hey Guys,
after having played acoustic drums for 20 yrs I recently bought my first Alesis DM6 kit. I really like it, am not experiencing any of the problems with hi hat or snare volume or latency that you can read about in forums but I feel like an idiot.... I can't seem to hook up my DM6 to my laptop to play along to my band's MP3s. I can't get the MP3 sound over my headphones.

This is also keeping me from experimenting with other sounds from reason or Fruity Loops. Any hints/tips?

Offline Hellfire

Re: question from newbie dummy
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 12:26:34 PM »
Hey Guys,
after having played acoustic drums for 20 yrs I recently bought my first Alesis DM6 kit. I really like it, am not experiencing any of the problems with hi hat or snare volume or latency that you can read about in forums but I feel like an idiot.... I can't seem to hook up my DM6 to my laptop to play along to my band's MP3s. I can't get the MP3 sound over my headphones.

This is also keeping me from experimenting with other sounds from reason or Fruity Loops. Any hints/tips?
Playing along with a mp3 player is different than trying to use reason or fruity Loops to change your drum sound. You will need to use the USB connection on your DM6 to use drum kit sounds in Fruity Loops or reason. I don't have a DM6, so hopefully someone will chime in that does. You might want to post your question in the Drum Modules topic as well.

You might have to give more information so we can help. What have you tried? What kind of computer are you using? Are you trying to use the sounds in the DM6 to play along with mp3's or are you wanting trying to record the sounds in reason or Fruity Loops alone with the mp3's. The more information the better we can help.

Offline ghostman

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 11:19:08 AM »
It sounds like to me that you are trying to play the MP3 from the computer and you want to listen to it through the DM-10, right?

The DM-10 should have an 'aux-in' that you can plug in a CD player, MP3 Player or computer - using a stereo cable that fits.  Hellfire has one, and can provide you the tech details - or download the manual from a link that can be found elsewhere on this site.

basically, instead of plugging in your headphones or stereo speakers to your laptop, get a stereo cable and run it from the laptop speakers jack to the DM-10 Aux-in.

Hope that helps.
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 03:16:25 AM »
Yep, it works, thanx!