Author Topic: I HAVE HAD IT WITH DM10 MODULE  (Read 1287 times)

I HAVE HAD IT WITH DM10 MODULE
« on: August 09, 2020, 03:37:32 PM »
CAN I RUN A DM10 MKII Studio Kit ON A NEW STRIKE MODULE

Offline Chaser

Re: I HAVE HAD IT WITH DM10 MODULE
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 07:46:46 PM »
CAN I RUN A DM10 MKII Studio Kit ON A NEW STRIKE MODULE

The triggers from the DM10 MKII Studio are compatible, but a few things need to be addressed in order to get full potential out of the STRIKE module.

The STRIKE module uses individual cables so you will also need those.

The STRIKE uses a 2 cable Triple (3) Zone Ride Ride.
The DM10 MKII Studio uses a single cable Triple (3) Zone Ride.

You will need a 2 cable Ride in order to have a fully functional Triple (3) Zone Ride...no getting around that.

If you want to match cymbals look for a DMPad 14" or 16"..Triple (3) Zone Ride cymbal with DUAL Jacks/Outputs.There is usually one or the other on ebay..some sellers list as "Dual Input"..

The STRIKE Hi Hat is Dual Zone/Dual Cymbal/FSR....on a stand
The DM10 MKII Studio Hi Hat is Single Zone with a Continuous/Variable pedal.(Realhat)

The DM10 MKII Studio Hi Hat/Realhat combination will work but you'll lose a zone.

The DM10 MKII Studio Hi Hat is a DMPad 12" Hi Hat..listed as single zone , but double check it first in a crash input and see if it is single or dual because there is a DMPad 12" Cymbal (Dual Zone) for the (2) Crashes and I have known a few to get Dual Zone for all 3 cymbals when they got their kit.

If the DMPad Hi Hat is Single Zone you could...
Swap the DMPad 14 Ride to a Crash..Swap a DMPad 12 Crash for the Hi Hat and get a DMPad 16 with DUAL Jacks/Outputs for the Ride.You need to make sure it has DUAL Jacks/Outputs

Your cymbals would all match and you would have a variety of sizes and your only purchasing one Cymbal..which you have to purchase anyway in order to get a fully functional Triple (3) Zone Ride with the STRIKE module.You can still use the Single Zone DMPad 12" for a splash etc (split a trigger) save for expanding later or sell it.

Are you dissatisfied with the DM10MKII Studio module because of the sounds?

EDIT:
I forgot to mention...
If you are mainly using the module for Software/VST triggering..I recommend looking into the eDRUMin ED10.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 08:38:57 PM by Chaser »

Offline Den

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 10:14:09 AM »
Hi Chaser,
I am considering replacing my DM10 MKII Pro module with a Strike module. However I do not want to replace my DM10 MKII Pro Hi Hat i.e. I do not want to use a Hi Hat stand and 2 Hi Hat cymbals.
Could I route the Strike Hi Hat cable to say my DM10 MKII Pro Tom 4 thereby retaining Tom 4 Head and Rim capability using any internal Strike sounds and route the Strike Tom 4 cable to my DM10 MKII Pro Hi Hat retaining its Hi Hat capability using any internal Strike sounds.
Thanks
Den

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 11:13:48 AM »
Hi Chaser,
I am considering replacing my DM10 MKII Pro module with a Strike module. However I do not want to replace my DM10 MKII Pro Hi Hat i.e. I do not want to use a Hi Hat stand and 2 Hi Hat cymbals.
Could I route the Strike Hi Hat cable to say my DM10 MKII Pro Tom 4 thereby retaining Tom 4 Head and Rim capability using any internal Strike sounds and route the Strike Tom 4 cable to my DM10 MKII Pro Hi Hat retaining its Hi Hat capability using any internal Strike sounds.
Thanks
Den

E-Drum modules require the Hi Hat input and Controller input be used strictly for the Hi Hat..it is a circuit.
The Hi Hat controller only works with the Hi Hat Input.
If you use a different input for the Hi Hat cymbal you'll only get whatever articulation is assigned to it...no open close transition.

You don't need to swap cables..the STRIKE Module uses individual cables for ALL inputs and works fine with the Realhat pedal in the controller input.
The 2 pc cymbal/stand setup simply has the controller under the bottom cymbal and a more traditional feel. 
The OP was asking about the DM10 MKII Studio Module which is entirely different than the DM10 MKII Pro.
The DM10 MKII Studio has single zone Hi Hat.
The DM10 MKII pro ships with a single zone so you'll lose a zone (edge).
The DM10 MKII Pro Module does supports dual zone
You have to use a single cable Dual Zone (Piezo/Switch) cymbal..

Offline Den

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 05:52:27 AM »
Thanks Chaser,
I have a DMPad 12" Crash Cymbal so I shall use that for the single Hi Hat cymbal.
I have ordered a Strike module, cable snake and mount and shall firstly connect it via midi to my DM10 MKII Pro to see how I get on with it in terms of user kits and SD card use with user voices. Then if all OK I'll connect its cable snake to my DM10 MKII Pro pads and cymbals and then either connect the DM10 MKII Pro module to it using MIDI or sell the MKII Pro module.
There is one other thing you could help me with.
I have a SampleRack module and use an SD Card with that for user voices and user kits but it seems to read through the whole card when changing user kits. This takes a fair amount of time. Does the Strike module do the same (hopefully faster) or does it load the whole card and then read kit changes from internal memory making it quicker? 
Den

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 02:21:04 PM »
Thanks Chaser,
I have a DMPad 12" Crash Cymbal so I shall use that for the single Hi Hat cymbal.
I have ordered a Strike module, cable snake and mount and shall firstly connect it via midi to my DM10 MKII Pro to see how I get on with it in terms of user kits and SD card use with user voices. Then if all OK I'll connect its cable snake to my DM10 MKII Pro pads and cymbals and then either connect the DM10 MKII Pro module to it using MIDI or sell the MKII Pro module.
There is one other thing you could help me with.
I have a SampleRack module and use an SD Card with that for user voices and user kits but it seems to read through the whole card when changing user kits. This takes a fair amount of time. Does the Strike module do the same (hopefully faster) or does it load the whole card and then read kit changes from internal memory making it quicker? 
Den

The Sample rack loads into Ram and scans through each time loading.From what I remember all the files had to be on the root drive.
This means scanning the entire root drive instead of an individual folder
It also depends on which firmware version the Samplerack has...last/final version was 1.07.
Unfortunately for those didn't upgrade the firmware download was only available by email/account login.
The biggest attraction was the price point ($200.00) for being able to load/trigger your own samples
The Samplerack disappeared from the Alesis website including Legacy and the Get Satisfaction Forum was abruptly shut down so most information will probably be here.
Check under Samplerack in the search and under the users ChrisK and rhysT.They used the Samplerack extensively and posted a lot of info on the pro's/cons.

The STRIKE Module scans both SD Cards on initial startup.The kits when changed initially load without all the velocity layers so you can access/play almost instantly while the remainder of the velocities/articulations load in the background with FX loading last.

The module rescans the entire SD Card after each instrument/kit is created when constructing instruments and kits in the STRIKE Editor.
Times will vary depending on the size of SD Card and number of files.I can confirm the STRIKE will support a 128GB card.
I have one setup to test a database with over 12,000 instruments and around a half million samples...but it defeats the purpose.
If you have 1,000's upon 1,000's of samples it's best to have on a separate card/drive with just the samples you plan on using then transfer to the SD Card you use for performing.
The smaller the SD Card the better.If you do sets just use a card with the sets on it and separate cards when you use the STRIKE Editor for constructing Instruments/Kits.This is where you need to have good organization/file folder structure on the card.
32GB cards are the best value.I have been using Samsung EVO micro SDXC..

LOOPS FOLDER..You can go 10 folders deep for a Folder structure on the SD Card and the STRIKE module will still read them.For example if you use Multitracks you can create a folder with Artist name...then a song sub folder...then an instrument sub folder, and so on..the module will not show the folder structure and display every file so if your file in separate instrument folders is labeled "bass"...then you would have a list of "bass" showing and would not be able to distinguish the difference.
The module will display up to 40 characters in the Menu screen , but transpose on the top and the side column
DO NOT GO PAST 10 FOLDERS.You will see a nasty screen "Task 2 stack corruption" error in Red and the module will freeze and you have to disconnect the power to it...pull the card and remove any sub folder over 10 in depth.
10 folder structure is more than enough for anyone..
The rest of the module you can go to 5 sub folders on the SD Card before lockup..but the module will still only show the main folders on the main display
so kind of redundant unless you want more organization away from the module.

Offline Den

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2021, 07:26:31 AM »
Thanks again Chaser. The knowledge you have/have access to is amazing!

Offline Den

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2021, 03:05:40 PM »
Hi Chaser, My Strike module should arrive by the end of this week. In the meantime I have downloaded the Strike Module and Strike Editor manuals from the Alesis website. I have read them both a couple of times and cannot find any reference to being able to use .wav voice files on an SD card. I was hoping in order to get started quickly with the module that I could, using the correct folder structure, use some of the voices I like to use. Hopefully I am wrong and the Strike module recognises .wav files as well as .skt and .sin files.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2021, 05:21:54 PM »
Hi Chaser, My Strike module should arrive by the end of this week. In the meantime I have downloaded the Strike Module and Strike Editor manuals from the Alesis website. I have read them both a couple of times and cannot find any reference to being able to use .wav voice files on an SD card. I was hoping in order to get started quickly with the module that I could, using the correct folder structure, use some of the voices I like to use. Hopefully I am wrong and the Strike module recognises .wav files as well as .skt and .sin files.

STRIKE EDITOR GUIDE   pg 19

Importing Your (User) Content When  you  connect  your  Strike  module  to  your  computer  via  USB—and  both  are  powered  on—your  computer  will  automatically scan and display the SD card in your Strike module’s SD card slot. You can then use your computer to add or edit new kits, instruments, and samples to the SD card to use on your Strike module.
To import samples onto the SD card:
Tip: You can use the Strike Editor to automatically import samples and convert them into instruments
(as long as it will not be used as a hi-hat instrument). See Creating & Editing Instruments > Quick Instruments to learn about this.

1.In the Instrument Editor, click Import Samples below the Sample Browser.
2.In the window that appears, locate and select the sample file/files (.wav).
Click Open to continue or Cancel  to  close the window.
Important: Samples must be 16-bit or 24-bitWAV files with a sampling rate of 44.1, 48, or 96 kHz (we recommend using 48 kHz files, which is what the Strike Module uses). Samples can be mono or stereo.

3.In the window that appears, select a folder where you want to import your samples. You can click New Folder to create and name a new folder.

4.Click Select Folder to import the samples or X in the upper-right corner close the window without importing. The module  and  editor  will  briefly  refresh  their  respective  drives  so  that  you  can  load  the  new  samples  from  the  Sample Browser.

also read up  on Auto-Mapping and Velocity Ranges  ..pg 17.

EDIT:
One thing I should mention...you don't need to have the SD Card in the STRIKE Module/connected USB ..to add samples to the SD Card..
You can use an External SD Card reader...when finished adding your samples then you can insert the SD Card into the STRIKE Module then USB..then power on.
It's much faster..especially if the STRIKE Module is on a kit and a computer with your samples/kits/instruments you created/backed up is in another room etc..or if you just want to add a song to the Loop Folder to play along/rehearse with.
also when using the SD Card with a Reader use the "Safely Remove Hardware" ...bottom right on the Taskbar.Since it's an External Reader you'll need to unplug the USB and Plug it back in again.

The SD Cards are seen/treated like USB Drives (See File explorer column) and even if you have Quick removal Policy (depending on which version of Windows OS)...if you just pull them from the reader I have experienced them getting corrupted on occasion.
previous versions of the STRIKE OS treated them as "Storage" and they were recognized as SD Cards

I should also mention this is getting off topic from the Original Post...."I HAVE HAD IT WITH DM10 MODULE"

« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 06:32:08 PM by Chaser »

Offline Den

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2021, 10:54:47 AM »
Thanks Chaser, however I have another question and will start a new topic "Equipment »Drum Modules/Machines » Using SD Cards with the Strike module.