Author Topic: Alesis Module Keeps Shutting off...  (Read 577 times)

Alesis Module Keeps Shutting off...
« on: February 07, 2021, 01:01:27 PM »
Hey, What's up Fellow Drummers I would like to ask a Question Has Anyone who has purchased a Crimson 2 Drum kit Ever had a problem with the Module Shutting of at random times while playing? I bought a kit and it shut off so I returned it and got another one right out of the box after 10 min or so the second one shut off too Keeps doing it... It did it like crazy today. Alesis is sending me another one But I'm skeptical Hoping it doesn't happen again Alesis said maybe I'm the most unlucky guy who had this happen to 2 times and they have never heard of this happening So... I ask has this happened to anyone else or is it just me? Thanks a lot for any Comments

Offline Chaser

Re: Alesis Module Keeps Shutting off...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 01:37:57 PM »
Hey, What's up Fellow Drummers I would like to ask a Question Has Anyone who has purchased a Crimson 2 Drum kit Ever had a problem with the Module Shutting of at random times while playing? I bought a kit and it shut off so I returned it and got another one right out of the box after 10 min or so the second one shut off too Keeps doing it... It did it like crazy today. Alesis is sending me another one But I'm skeptical Hoping it doesn't happen again Alesis said maybe I'm the most unlucky guy who had this happen to 2 times and they have never heard of this happening So... I ask has this happened to anyone else or is it just me? Thanks a lot for any Comments

I have had a number of the Medeli DD650 modules..still own 2 (Crimson) , they basically use a 9 volt 500mA power adapter like a guitar pedal.
Having 2 modules with the same symptoms and getting progressively worse sounds more like a power supply problem.
Did you get a new power supply with each module?..are you using a power strip?...extension cord? or straight into an outlet?
Try changing which ever you are using..the only time I have experienced a module shutting off and progressively getting worse was an extension cord or power strip with a break or short in it.The extension cord example was someone I know used one and the vibration on his drum riser caused intermittent power spikes etc.The cord looked perfect , but had been wrapped too tight ..too many times and had an internal break on a molded end...same thing happens to molded instrument cables including drum harnesses.
You can also go into the menu and turn off the Auto Shut off and see if that makes any difference tho it usually doesn't kick in unless the module has no use for 30 mins or so.

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 05:08:11 PM »
Both units were Right out of the box new everything  Got a lot plugged into a power strip and did put in the outlet direct  and No change  My pc is plugged into a strip and nothing else goes off at all  Only module Well we shall see I'm getting the replacement if it happens to that one too Ill Freak out :o I will also, return it  Thanks For response i can't have that happen at a gig I really like the kit too

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 05:29:08 PM »
Both units were Right out of the box new everything  Got a lot plugged into a power strip and did put in the outlet direct  and No change  My pc is plugged into a strip and nothing else goes off at all  Only module Well we shall see I'm getting the replacement if it happens to that one too Ill Freak out :o I will also, return it  Thanks For response i can't have that happen at a gig I really like the kit too
Did Alesis have you do a factory reset?
I have seen some modules with pre-programming issues where the initial firmware is flashed...then the module gets shipped.

You can restore the factory set by following steps:
a) Press/hold the [<] and [>] buttons simultaneously.
b) Press [POWER] button.
c) Until the LCD displays “FactoryResetting...”.
Complete reset operation, the module will return to the KIT MENU.

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 07:29:24 PM »
Is it the same reset from the menu if so I have reset..... well at least I put it out there if anyone else has this issue I will see the posts..  thanks for your concern   

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 08:35:04 PM »
Is it the same reset from the menu if so I have reset..... well at least I put it out there if anyone else has this issue I will see the posts..  thanks for your concern

The reset from the menu clears the user settings you have made
Kit  (only  the  user  kits),
Song (only  the  user  songs),
Voice  (only  the  user  voices),
Trigger  Settings (all trigger settings),

...the reset I posted is for resetting the firmware when the module freezes or has issues.
This reset isn't in the Alesis User Guide and has worked for many users...it can't hurt to try it..
It will either fix it..or it won't...it is the last resort before sending a module back.