Author Topic: Super Secret Alesis DMdock drum module?  (Read 29207 times)

Alesis

Re: Super Secret Alesis DMdock drum module?
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2011, 08:06:16 PM »
@Dan:  How long ago were you at Berklee?

Class of '04.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2011, 08:39:04 PM »
Well, I'm guessing I hit pretty close to home with this DMdock...I wonder when we will see it...Summer NAMM 2011 maybe?

Offline Guinness

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2011, 02:52:58 AM »
Big Dan is a Star:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxSHQNGmTQ8&feature=feedu

(it's no wonder why this thread peaked his interest.   ;D )

Offline Tsugu

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2011, 02:34:35 PM »
that is an earthquaking idea  ... Dan & co ... hmm just do it :)

Online Hellfire

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2011, 01:39:23 PM »
Just saw this over at Vdrums.com by Vdrums.com member geni2x (iPhone as drum trigger module).

In that post there is a link to a video of a software for the iPhone called Live Trigger. Very cool video and I think this shows that this concept is definitely doable.

I'm guessing this concept can't be more than a year away. I also heard that Apple is just about done with the new iPad model. Many upgrades over the current model. Alesis may need to update their I/O dock, because I heard the new iPad is thinner than the current one. ;)

Offline vaikl

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2011, 02:42:47 PM »
Very cool video and I think this shows that this concept is definitely doable.

Laying an ipad/iphone down on a drum pad? I don't think that this could be a future "concept" for us - or a very expensive one ;)

The company behind this unsubtantial teaser is Onyx 3, a bulgarian business sitting in Sofia. They have registered livetrigger.com.

One interesting thing for a new ipad would be a pressure-to-velocity capable display, but to make such displays robust enough would also cost much more.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2011, 08:07:38 PM »
Very cool video and I think this shows that this concept is definitely doable.

Laying an ipad/iphone down on a drum pad? I don't think that this could be a future "concept" for us - or a very expensive one ;)

The company behind this unsubtantial teaser is Onyx 3, a bulgarian business sitting in Sofia. They have registered livetrigger.com.

One interesting thing for a new ipad would be a pressure-to-velocity capable display, but to make such displays robust enough would also cost much more.
Maybe I'm assuming something more than what is shown. I assumed the trigger was plugged into the iphone in some way. I didn't assume that one must actually place an iPhone on a trigger for it to work. I've already seen that trick using the mic input on the iPhone, I just assumed this was not happening here. Anyway, (again, assuming they didn't edit the video) I like how well it was triggering. Yes it is only one drum, but it did sound good to me.

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2011, 01:40:19 AM »
Hellfire -

I am associated with this project. Let me assure you that yes, the trigger is plugged to the iPhone/iPod using a cable. It does not rely on phone placed on the pad; we just put it there to show the phone and pad together. The video is not edited, what you see/hear is what you get. Currently there is only one input on the iPhone and probably two on the iPad.

Regards,
Eugene

you can PM me with any questions regarding this

Online Hellfire

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2011, 04:48:25 PM »
Hellfire -

I am associated with this project. Let me assure you that yes, the trigger is plugged to the iPhone/iPod using a cable. It does not rely on phone placed on the pad; we just put it there to show the phone and pad together. The video is not edited, what you see/hear is what you get. Currently there is only one input on the iPhone and probably two on the iPad.

Regards,
Eugene

you can PM me with any questions regarding this
Thanks Eugene for the heads up on the Live-Trigger project and welcome to the forum. Will this app support more than one trigger at a time? Obviously an iphone/ipod touch/ipad trigger interface device of some kind would be needed but I see a very large potential in the edrum area for an app like Live-Trigger if it can support at least a standard four/five piece kit. Just a thought. Thanks again Eugene for the info.

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2011, 03:44:31 AM »
Currently we use iDevice's mic input to attach trigger to. This means one trigger on the iPhone and two on the iPad (with external audio interface such as Griffin iMic). Developing full-blown dock interface is not something we could do at present; the big players will do this anyway.

I see two main applications of the LiveTrigger app:
- Silent practice: attach a drum pad to iPhone and hear real drum sound via headphones/speakers
- Real-time sound replacement/reinforcement: attach a trigger to acoustic kick or snare and use iPhone to trigger quality sound samples for live/studio situations

Eugene

Offline vaikl

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2011, 08:42:38 AM »
I see two main applications of the LiveTrigger app:
- Silent practice: attach a drum pad to iPhone and hear real drum sound via headphones/speakers
- Real-time sound replacement/reinforcement: attach a trigger to acoustic kick or snare and use iPhone to trigger quality sound samples for live/studio situations

So LiveTrigger will trigger drum samples, like .wav/.aiff files? And it comes with it's own sounds or is it open to load any samples? What about MIDI?

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2011, 12:25:35 PM »
It comes with some samples built-in, plus, you can add your own multilayer samples built from .wav/.aiff files. MIDI is still to be investigated.

Thanks,
Eugene

Offline vaikl

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2011, 01:03:49 PM »
It comes with some samples built-in, plus, you can add your own multilayer samples built from .wav/.aiff files. MIDI is still to be investigated.

Thanks,
Eugene

Thanks Eugene, very useful infos!!

Online Hellfire

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2011, 05:14:52 PM »
Looks as if Apple will be announce the second generation iPad this Wednesday. It will be interesting to see if they make any major updates to the platform.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2011, 02:02:20 PM »
Apple is showing off the new iPad 2 with iPad GarageBand and showing the drum kit. The new iPad 2 has velocity on the touch screen. How cool is that and the sound appears to change on the cymbals depending on where you hit it on the cymbals. This info is coming from:

Live from Apple's iPad 2 event

Pretty cool stuff. It now sounds as if the DMdock is a no brainer base on the new features of the iPad 2.  :)

Online Hellfire

« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2011, 04:38:37 PM »
Well, since they now have GarageBand for the iPad I guess the first iPad drum module now exists. Now we just need the DMdock. ;D

Using GarageBand as a drum module would actually work pretty well. I've used it on my mac with the Trigger I/O and had no problems. It would however lack a variable hi-hat. Unless GarageBand has updated that.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2011, 04:57:15 PM »
I read about the iPad2 earlier today.  zNet says..  wait.  iPad3 is coming out soon.  iPad2 is just an iPad with the features the original iPad should have had.  That said, the ipad2 is indeed more robust (dual core processor).  But according to zNet, iPad3 will be out shortly.  Expect original ipad to fade away, where Apple offers 2 choices: the ipad2 as the basic, and iPad3 as the souped up/feature laden device.  Apple will completely own the entire market in no time.   Impressive.

Either way... ipad1, 2 or 3, a DMpad (I suspect) will be out in short order.  It'll be awesome to have a VST as a stand alone module.  :)

Offline vaikl

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2011, 05:05:47 PM »
GarageBand is way too limited for serious e-drumming, but it's a first showcase by Apple and we won't have to wait long for the real apps. DualCore is the key, MIDI is already there (the AKAI Synthstation25/49 can already transfer real MIDI both ways via USB on a 4G iPod/Phone/Pad) and the velocity option is a true bonus now.

It's an upgrade as expected (for me ;)), but the new cover is really cool....
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 05:07:46 PM by vaikl »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2011, 05:27:39 PM »
GarageBand is way too limited for serious e-drumming,
I didn't mean to suggest it was, but it can be used as such. I was merely pointing to a proof of concept.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2011, 07:01:32 PM »
I didn't mean to suggest it was, but it can be used as such. I was merely pointing to a proof of concept.

The proof of concept - CoreMIDI - is already there, even on the iPad 1. Several apps use it, like nanostudio or synthstation.

But as far as I've read the first comments on the GarageBand app it has no CoreMIDI features, no MIDI at all and no other external triggering options - not even a Logic kernel.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 07:05:34 PM by vaikl »

Offline vtdrummer

« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2011, 07:22:05 PM »
OK, I'm not an ipad, ipod or Mac person, but why would the ipad be any better than, say, a small notebook PC or netbook PC with a usb to MIDI interface or something like that?  You can get a really good netbook for under $300 these days, that should run most of the drum VST's or Reaper or such.

Am I missing something?  Other than a touch screen?

Not picking a fight here, just asking...  ;D

Thanks.
DM10 Studio 2011 w/Surge Cymbals added, BB Mesh head conversion w/rubber muffs at bottom, one 12" A-E pad, Simmons DA200S, sometimes using 2 satellite speakers... Simmons SDMP-1 Multi-pad.
See my DIY 12" Acoustic to E-Drum project post here: http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=1227

Offline vaikl

« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2011, 07:59:36 PM »
OK, I'm not an ipad, ipod or Mac person, but why would the ipad be any better than, say, a small notebook PC or netbook PC with a usb to MIDI interface or something like that?  You can get a really good netbook for under $300 these days, that should run most of the drum VST's or Reaper or such.

Am I missing something?  Other than a touch screen?

Not picking a fight here, just asking...  ;D

No, that's a real good question which is discussed on thousands of pages in many forums now ;)

The touch screen is one of, or *the* main point, though many audio engineers/producers gripe over the lack of real buttons, knobs or faders. But the mouse has reached its vertex as the dominant input device for GUIs for decades now, so any new input method will boost the business. Multitouch ability is also a seller if you want to tweak several GUI elements in parallel, like some oscillators or level faders.

Second main point is the one-button-start and the slim, no-fuss OS with immediate access to all necessary functions.

Third main point is the form factor - it's a difference to put even the smallest netbook or AirBook in front of your mixer/keyboard (you'll have to open the display) or an iPod/iPad and keep the air free for your hands.

I like my iPod touch with some real cool apps for WiFi remote control or just playing/rec'ing some notes in the garden. Most of these apps even are not available for "normal" laptops/netbooks.

Offline vtdrummer

« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2011, 10:03:08 PM »
Thanks for the info.  How about Android tablets?  Or windows tablets? (I do realize, or at least I've never seen, that there is no multi-touch on Windows tablets), but touch screen is, and many of the drum/midi sound apps are available on windows tablets... and they are becoming available in smaller form factors, too... maybe not quite as small though...
DM10 Studio 2011 w/Surge Cymbals added, BB Mesh head conversion w/rubber muffs at bottom, one 12" A-E pad, Simmons DA200S, sometimes using 2 satellite speakers... Simmons SDMP-1 Multi-pad.
See my DIY 12" Acoustic to E-Drum project post here: http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=1227

Offline vaikl

« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2011, 10:37:06 PM »
How about Android tablets?  Or windows tablets? (I do realize, or at least I've never seen, that there is no multi-touch on Windows tablets), but touch screen is, and many of the drum/midi sound apps are available on windows tablets... and they are becoming available in smaller form factors, too... maybe not quite as small though...

Well.., uhm.., Android - I've got an Android smartphone two weeks ago and since then I was trying to find apps on The Market that are worth to download for my music purposes. Honestly said, I didn't find anything that is as easy to load, easy to configure, easy to use and functional like the apps I've mentioned on the iAny's.

Don't know if there are such Android apps but it isn't me who walks blindfolded I believe.

Yes, some of the Windows/Android tablets have much more horsepower and a doubled number of interfaces for more input but - as Steve Jobs mentioned today in his round-up - that's not what a tablet makes a hot gear. Simplicity, functionality, usability, smart design - that are my 4 Aces.

And no - I'm not a Jobs-aholic or Mac-fanboy ;).
I've been working with PCs, UNIX-workstations and Macs my whole life in parallel and won't miss this freedom of choice in future.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2011, 07:41:45 PM »
vtdrummer, a little addition to my last post is this blog article i've found today in a discussion about Androids future for musicians:
The state of MIDI support on Android

It's perhaps too technical, but it states clear that the Android developers at Google have chosen not to support a major standard of the music business. In the discussion it is mentioned also, that this statement is still valid, even with the new 3.0 Android. For me Android is lost because most manufacturers/developers are on iOS now.