Author Topic: amps....  (Read 8341 times)

amps....
« on: April 21, 2010, 05:15:23 PM »
Ok..dont go mad at me ! What amp do you suggest for my dm10pro? will be using it live in a room for about 100 people - low ceiling. Not really any chance to plug into the main PA as its a bit cramped already ! Will be competing with about 250w yam PA system, and a separate base combo. Not after window rattling stuff but loud enough...

Cheers
in advance.
Rob

ps would be handy if easy to buy in UK.
Drumming the beat to life...

Offline Hellfire

Re: amps....
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 06:09:47 PM »
Ok..dont go mad at me ! What amp do you suggest for my dm10pro? will be using it live in a room for about 100 people - low ceiling. Not really any chance to plug into the main PA as its a bit cramped already ! Will be competing with about 250w yam PA system, and a separate base combo. Not after window rattling stuff but loud enough...

Cheers
in advance.
Rob

If you were is the U.S. I would have suggested a Simmons DA200S Electronic Drum Set Monitor. The generic answer is any good Keyboard amp should work. I would say look into the Alesis TransActive Drummer Amplifier but it is only 50 watts. You would most likely need two if you go with the Alesis.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 06:36:00 PM »
Hellfire,

What do you use?  In your experience, how many watts per venue type?

Offline ghostman

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 07:13:42 PM »
Hellfire,

1 watt per audience member.  ;D
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 12:34:08 AM »
Hellfire,

Normally I just plug in to the PA equipment. The on stage monitors are 100 watts per side (left, right) so 200 total. We just split the signal from our board to both the PA and the monitors. The PA just runs vocals and drums. The guitars are handled with just guitar amps. To be honest I don't hear the stage monitors all that well. As a matter of fact, I have my own mixing board (small Radio Shack stereo mixing console) that I mix in the guitar and the sound from the main board. I then wear headphone to monitor. That is how I do every gig.

Offline Bobby@NEMS

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 09:38:58 AM »

Cheers
in advance.
Rob

If you were is the U.S. I would have suggested a Simmons DA200S Electronic Drum Set Monitor. The generic answer is any good Keyboard amp should work. I would say look into the Alesis TransActive Drummer Amplifier but it is only 50 watts. You would most likely need two if you go with the Alesis.

There's actually a decent write on here (that I can't seem to find at quick glance) about the Transactive Drummer. Got one for a customer and he LOVED it.

HF is right though, any normal amped equipment will do the job.
Bobby D.

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 02:52:13 PM »
Hi
Thank for replies so far...

Have tried the Alesis drum amp an yeah its brill....Was amazed at the sound from a little beasty, but sadly would not have enough for a bigger room, fine at home but probably thats all, yes they double up - I tried - they have a connector and switch's to separate left and right, again great sound but then double the cost. Perhaps I'm being a cheapskate...lol.  But still a relatively new venture for me so cant bring myself to spend loads.
People keep telling me to check the "Db sensetivity"????
I know I need at least a 12" cone and some sort of horn for high notes?
All this watts and stuff is new to me...still a caveman at heart and feel the urge to hit branch on skin...lol.

Rob

Offline goony

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 04:16:40 PM »
Have a look at the jbl eon 315.....
KIT: Roland TD9s
Online Browser Game Desert Ops
http://uk.desert-operations.com/?recruiter=275

Offline Guinness

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 12:11:38 AM »
People keep telling me to check the "Db sensetivity" ??? ?
I know I need at least a 12" cone and some sort of horn for high notes?

db sensitivity refers to how well the driver responds to the signal sent.  Better put...  it's how efficient the driver is.

For example, a 91db driver will be louder than an 89db driver, all other variables equal, because it's more efficient with the power supplied.

It's not that noticable, but in hi-fi home systems, car audio.   Best to have drivers match though.

As far as what you need, the key to look for is frequency range.  I know of some 8" drivers that will go lower in frequency (bass notes) than a 12" or even 15" driver.  So, don't be fooled by the size of the speakers, but rather pay attention to the frequency range.  Below 30hz is good.  Most companies exagerate their frequency response  (longer explanation needed here, and I'm short on time).  As for the high end, anything above 22k is good.  The human ear (generally) can only hear 20k and below (to about 20hz).

"Points of reference: low "E" on a bass guitar is 41 Hz; middle "C" on a piano is 262 Hz; cymbals can go out to 15,000 Hz."

Hope that helps.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 07:24:08 PM »
My uncle got a new home theatre system a year or so ago (old one wouldn't handle HDMI).  It's a Marantz preamp and two Parasound amplifiers.

I took them home last month and haven't looked at them since.  I wasn't sure what I was going to do with them, but after this weekend (I played my kit over my computer infront of a crowd), I decided I need to amp up my kit.

Tah-dah!  i have two amps I could possibly use.   I just checked the specs and they are very good.
at 8 ohms they are 60w per channel (stereo)
at 4 ohms they are 75w per channel (stereo)
at 8 ohms they are 150w mono

And I have two of them.   I could do two channel 150w system.   Or use one amp for mid's and horn (stereo), and the other amp as a 150w sub.

What's cool about these is that they are rack mountable, and about 1 1/2 inches tall.  They weigh flipping 14 lbs each.  They are beefy!  And have a current output of 15 amps peak per channel.

Now I just need to find speakers / cabinet for them, and I'm good to go.  :)

« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 07:27:26 PM by Guinness »

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 06:44:26 PM »
has anyone tried the laney multi instrument amps? seen a 180w amp which might do the trick, just need to listen to one...

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 11:34:12 AM »
Finally spent some of my hard earned pennies...(again) and got a Stagg sms15p.

The bass response is awesome as indeed the high end,  can only say that the kit has come alive... 8)
Its listed as 220w, but as my teeth were rattling at half way I have not tested to max yet  :o

Rob

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 02:33:03 PM »
Hi all.

Well used the kit (|DM10pro) live for the first time today in a room for about 100 peeps or so...went lovely jubbly.....amp was only turned up about 1/3 and half or so on the master out on unit. Sound guy came over afterwards (even though we sound checked before) and said thought it could be turned up abit..result..always good not to upset peeps in the first instance.  ;)
Setting up and ripping down ok, less hassle than taking my usual acoustic kit. Although think I will perhaps do the rack conversion that I beleive Guiness did?? on here???

Rob

Offline Burtmeister

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 08:54:29 PM »
I myself just recently purchased a Mackie Thump TH15A. I haven't had much experience with PA speakers and such, but as it was recommended by a few different people I took the plunge. I believe it is overkill for me at the moment but it is nice to actually have some thump in my drumset now. Paired with an old sub I had stored, it makes the house shake a bit. Good thing neighbors aren't too close. But  if I ever need to I think it will be good enough for a small crowd.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 12:59:59 PM »

Setting up and ripping down ok, less hassle than taking my usual acoustic kit. Although think I will perhaps do the rack conversion that I beleive Guiness did?? on here???

Rob

Here:  http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=209.15

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2010, 11:37:24 AM »
I was having the same dilemma until I found the Behringer Ultratone K3000FX Keyboard amp! This thing flat out rocks! I went to Guitar Center on Monday and had them hook one up so I could hear it and the salesmen, (who originally were pushing me towards a Roland) we so impressed that they wanted to keep one in the drum section lol . 300 watts, 4 inputs plus R-L audio rca inputs and an array of effects. Here are some specs:

ULTRATONE K3000FX
Ultra-Flexible 300-Watt 4-Channel PA System / Keyboard Amplifier with FX and FBQ Feedback Detection

* Ultra-flexible 300-Watt 4-channel PA System / Keyboard Amplifier
    * Powerful 15'' BUGERA woofer and custom-made 1'' driver for ultimate sound reproduction
    * Integrated 24-bit digital FX processor with 100 awesome presets including reverb, chorus, flanger, delay, pitch shifter and various multi-effects
    * Revolutionary FBQ Feedback Detection System instantly reveals critical frequencies
    * Full 4-channel stereo operation with separate Volume and FX Send per channel
    * Additional XLR mic input on Channel 1 for direct connection of dynamic microphones
    * Dedicated 7-band graphic EQ for awesome sound shaping
    * Balanced stereo XLR DI with Ground Lift switch for direct connection to your mixing console
    * Main section with FX Return level, Master Volume, Phones level and Shape switch
    * Link output allows linking to a slave amplifier for true stereo operation
    * Subwoofer output for ultimate low-end power
    * CD input allows you to play along to your favorite music
    * Separate headphone output—perfect for quiet practicing
    * High-quality components and exceptionally rugged construction ensure long life
    * Conceived and designed by BEHRINGER Germany

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2010, 04:33:31 PM »
Hi

nearly had that amp myself... ;)

Offline Guinness

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2010, 04:52:16 PM »

That statement , plus the fact that I can't find frequency response on their spec sheet, gives me pause.

Does it have any low end?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 06:27:09 PM by Guinness »

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2010, 04:41:11 PM »

That statement , plus the fact that I can't find frequency response on their spec sheet, gives me pause.

Does it have any low end?
Tons of low end! With authority even  ;)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 06:27:47 PM by Guinness »

Offline Guinness

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2010, 06:28:52 PM »
FYi.... I read on vdrums forum that Berhinger, while the price is great, the durability is hit and miss.  Again, FYI.

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2010, 04:30:18 PM »
I read a ton of reviews and 90% of them rate it highly. As with any electronics, you always get a dud once in awhile but with a 60 day return policy and a year warranty I should know by then  ;)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 05:35:31 PM by GotstaFish »

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2010, 06:53:19 PM »
Well again I must applaud the stagg, it feels right, One thing I have done though is when playing "live" I place the stagg in its little standy leggy thingies like a kick back and sit it directly behind my back side - this enables me to "feel" the sound as well as hear it.  The only thing I've always had against edrums is the lack of feeling the sound, I think I've over come that one... :)

Rob

ps Alesis if you are listening - if you could come up with an amp like the drum-transamp but in say 250w format then you'd have a winner. Yes the amp's can be duelled but for live performance need abit more... ;D

Offline DeeDubs

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2010, 08:13:44 PM »
  The only thing I've always had against edrums is the lack of feeling the sound, I think I've over come that one... :)

Anyone have any experience with a buttkicker or Clark Synthesis Thunder Throne? I read about Carter Beauford (Dave Matthews band) using the latter.

the Clark systems throne is ~$250.. not cheap but if you don't need an amp (shrug)?
Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Check out my silly mug with "So What" at http://www.sowhatct.com

Offline Guinness

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2010, 02:02:32 AM »
Wait, so Carter has a transducer in his throne?  Needs to feel the thump in his hiney?  I'd think with all the wattage DMB has on stage, he'd feel his whole body shake, just like the audience and stadium and city.

Offline DeeDubs

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2010, 10:49:34 AM »
Wait, so Carter has a transducer in his throne?  Needs to feel the thump in his hiney?  I'd think with all the wattage DMB has on stage, he'd feel his whole body shake, just like the audience and stadium and city.

From my experience, it sounds completely different behind the main speakers. I actually have had trouble hearing myself on a few occasions, despite being run through 2 1200 watt power amps and 4 18" subwoofer cabs. I can see how having a transducer in the seat might make any electronic kit feel more like acoustic drums. (Note - Not an endorsement for being slammed in the buttocks by a machine, but I can see how it might work in theory) ;)

Anyone ever try one of these systems?
Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Check out my silly mug with "So What" at http://www.sowhatct.com