Author Topic: explanation please on Slate paks using DM10  (Read 3092 times)

Orangeblood

explanation please on Slate paks using DM10
« on: August 26, 2010, 08:03:30 PM »
Just how do you go about hearing the paks with a dm10?

Can one of you explain it easily for a midi, impatient idiot like me. I'm excited to think I can buy all these different kit sounds.

Is there any vids showing process?

Offline ghostman

Re: explanation please on Slate paks using DM10
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 11:45:48 PM »
Well, if you're impatient.. give up now..  haha, just kidding.
Step 1) install SSD on your computer, make sure your DM10 is OFF.
2) Plug in the USB cable from your DM10 to your computer.
3) Turn ON your DM10 module and start SSD / Kontact on your computer
4) In the Kontact, look for an icon that looks like a gear, click on it.  In the MIDI tab, select the input as the DM10.
5) plug your headphones into the headphone jack on your computer, and test.  The MIDI mappings for bass drum and snare drum should work.  The rest, you might have to tweak from the module.  Some MIDI note numbers you cannot change - Ride and HiHat.  In order to get these to work properly, you're going to need software on your computer that translates MIDI notes from the DM10 to SSD.  I use a program called MIDIPipe on the Mac.  I forget what it is on a Windows based OS.

Anyway, that should get you at least to the point where the DM10 is triggering SSD samples - at least some of them.

Good luck!
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.

Orangeblood

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 11:55:45 AM »
Heck, that sounds easy enough. This electronic stuff is completely new to me. Been holding out entirely too long

Offline ghostman

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 03:19:03 AM »
Well, then, good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions.
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 04:46:19 PM »
Just curious, but could one also use SSD with a DM5?
As of now: DM10 Studio Kit with additional SURGE cymbals and DM5 pads.
Pearl ICON front rack with Stealth rack front curved bars for side rack arms
Vic Firth Sticks and MacBook for VST triggering.

Offline ghostman

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 08:03:22 PM »
Just curious, but could one also use SSD with a DM5?

If the DM5 has MIDI out, it has the capability to send MIDI.  SSD just triggers off of MIDI signals.  I don't know much about the DM5, but I would assume that it has MIDI out capability.  I don't think there has been a drum module made in the last decade (or longer) that DOESN'T have MIDI out.