Author Topic: Pier's new Studio kit  (Read 5272 times)

Offline Pier

Pier's new Studio kit
« on: May 03, 2010, 03:41:55 PM »
Hi all,

guess who's arrived at home last Friday?
Yep! My brand new DM10 Studio Kit!  Hoorray!!!  :D

Needed a lot of work to tighten up all those nuts and bolts -- looked like a big mess, but little by little finally I got the kit mounted.
Now, even if last photo shows the kit more or less like in "factory conditions", I've already made some changes and plan to made some others. I.E., I've already moved the snare on its separate snare stand... way better!
For now my overall impressions are more than good; just would have liked maybe 15 cm. more in most of the cables for A LITTLE extra flexibility, but I can made it even in this way for now (in case, I know where they sell spare TSR cables...).
The drum brain needed a lot of tweaking because - don't know why - the overall sensitivities where heavily messed up. Anyway the software version is already 1.03!
All in all, I'm convinced that this kit represents the best value for the money in its level and field of electronic drums. Oh, and it's not just for home practicing: it's STURDY, believe me!!!
Well guys, I'm glad to introduce you the very first Italian Studio drum kit sold to a private user (or maybe one of the first 10... not that I can care less of the number of kits...  ;D):

Offline ghostman

Re: Pier's new Studio kit
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 04:43:38 PM »
congrats pier!

I got my DM10 module a few weeks back, I still have less than 5 hours on it.  I had to tweak it's defaults for my DIY drums a bit, too.
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 05:31:41 PM »
Looks great, congrats Pier!

Offline eugenecp

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 05:37:09 PM »
congrats pier!

ciao!
DM10 Pro Kit, Tama Iron Cobra Jr Double Bass Pedal, Tama 1st Chair HT530E5, Tascam US-122 Audio/MIDI interface

Offline Guinness

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 12:46:19 PM »
Very cool.  Looks great.

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 08:21:12 PM »
Does do double pedal has good response?
Is the triggering clear enought?

Congrats by the way!!

Offline Guinness

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 11:24:18 PM »

Congrats by the way!!

Nails.  Yes.  And welcome to the forum.

Offline Pier

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 02:40:21 AM »
Thanks guys, feedback much appreciated!  ;)

Congrats by the way!!
Nails,
hi and welcome here.
The bass drum pedal is NOT provided with the DM10 Studio kit; the one you see on the pictures is mine: a cheap double Pearl that I use with much satisfaction even on my acoustic kit.
The triggering can be made "clear" (as you stated), but I found my kit not ready out-of-the-box; I'm still tweaking the various parameters to get the response I want from the unit.
Every day a little better...  8)
Anyway almost anything is adjustable, so, after a good read and understanding of the user's manual and some trials and experiments, the whole kit really sounds good and responsive!

Hope this can help... feel free to ask if you have some more questions

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 11:59:25 AM »
Lookin good dude , congrats  8)  I just did Phils upgrade on the same set . . totally worth it . I was gonna go double pedal on the same kick pad too but might be buying another kick pad and running seperate pedals Iron cobra PG's . . enjoy brother and once again congrats  8)

Offline Pier

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 04:38:03 PM »
Lookin good dude , congrats  8)  I just did Phils upgrade on the same set . . totally worth it . I was gonna go double pedal on the same kick pad too but might be buying another kick pad and running seperate pedals Iron cobra PG's . . enjoy brother and once again congrats  8)

Thanks mate,
just to remember that with a "Y" cable you can use just the single DM10's 'KICK' input for both bass drum pads, since they both are mono.
Save extra inputs for some other stuff!
Oh... and don't forget to post your pictures once made...  ;)

Offline Pier

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 03:20:24 PM »
UPDATE
... in case someone would be interested, btw!

As already told somewhere else in this forum, I moved the snare to its own stand. As a result, this freed up the snare arm (the shorter one) and I moved it to host the hi-hat cymbal (which I also placed higher than it was before).
It's a shorter arm, so it works less as a "leverage" and has some cleaner triggering and less Xtalk (or, so this appears to me...)

The longer arm (ex Hi-hat) was then free, and I used it to place DM10 module AND a Yamaha DTX 2 drum module that I used before buying the DM10. For now I use it just to play some of its songs (without drums) and for the click, but in the next future I'll use even its sounds via midi.
It will became kinda "drum nuclear plant" ...  ;D

Also, I added a small Yamaha trigger that I had around the house and now I use it like a splash cymbal -- because even its shape is like a splash  :).

Too much words, I know. The pictures below represent from top to bottom:
1-) How my kit looks like nowadays
2-) The snare on its stand
3-) the splash "cymbal"
4-) the two paired drum brains

Finally, sorry if some objects went into the shots, but I've got not much space around the drums...

Enjoy!

Offline Guinness

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 03:54:53 PM »
Looks good Pier!

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 04:14:19 PM »
Looks good Pier. You could add in some more of your yamaha pads, use the DTX as a TMI and plug it into the DM10. That would be one heck of a large kit!

Offline Burtmeister

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 07:23:19 PM »
Spiffy looking setup Pier. I must say that while I love the mesh mod I did to my set, I do miss the sweet black Alesis drumheads. It just looks......classy.

Offline Pier

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 12:32:03 PM »
Thanks again for your compliments guys!

I already own the number of pads I need Phil, so I won't go into making a "monster" electro-drum-kit. Anyway, by adding the DTX inputs, I agree that now I own more trigger inputs than what I really need.
After all, all the toms and snare are dual zone... why add more heavy stuff?  ;) ;

And... yes, I find very cool the black mirrored look of the original heads. Also I like their response to my sticks.
Mesh head mod is cool, but if you can afford the "noise" of the mylar heads, the whole look is great.

Or so it seems to me...

Offline ungoliant

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 05:54:04 AM »
Sure, the black heads are classy. I did the mesh head conversion and i put the Alesis heads when i want to "impress" friends with the look. It works fine too. No need to adjust sensitivity  8)