Author Topic: Crimson Mesh compatibility with other parts  (Read 5156 times)

Crimson Mesh compatibility with other parts
« on: October 16, 2017, 06:55:01 AM »
I thought I'd share some info I've received from Alesis as I'm sure other people would benefit from it.  They have confirmed the Strike Pro Hi hat (not the Pro-X although I believe that is too) is compatible with the Alesis Crimson Mesh kit.  I tried the Go-Edrum hihat controller and had no luck getting that to work properly.  I'm waiting to hear if it can be ordered as a separate part.

However, Alesis were not sure if the Snare from the Strike Pro kit was compatible. This confused me a little as I would have thought it would be one of the more simple parts to make compatible. I have already looked at Laurin snares and they specifically exclude Crimson in their list of compatible modules.  Does anyone know why?  What's so different about the Crimson snare?

I'd be interested to know if anyone has got information on what's compatible with what.  Not just on Alesis either, but other makes.  For example, if I splash out on a Roland TD-30 module, will the rest of the drums still work?

Online Hellfire

Re: Crimson Mesh compatibility with other parts
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 08:14:28 AM »
I thought I'd share some info I've received from Alesis as I'm sure other people would benefit from it.  They have confirmed the Strike Pro Hi hat (not the Pro-X although I believe that is too) is compatible with the Alesis Crimson Mesh kit.  I tried the Go-Edrum hihat controller and had no luck getting that to work properly.  I'm waiting to hear if it can be ordered as a separate part.

However, Alesis were not sure if the Snare from the Strike Pro kit was compatible. This confused me a little as I would have thought it would be one of the more simple parts to make compatible. I have already looked at Laurin snares and they specifically exclude Crimson in their list of compatible modules.  Does anyone know why?  What's so different about the Crimson snare?

I'd be interested to know if anyone has got information on what's compatible with what.  Not just on Alesis either, but other makes.  For example, if I splash out on a Roland TD-30 module, will the rest of the drums still work?

Look, I get it. No body wants to spend the money to find out if something works so we hope that someone already did the hard lifting to find out for us. 99.9% of the time that's never going to happen. So, with that in mind here's my idea for you to find out if these things work.

If you can go to a music store that has this equipment on the showroom floor, see if they will let you hook-up your Crimson module to the Strike Pro hi-hat set-up. Obviously you will need to take your module (and power adapter with you). Most music stores will let you do this, but you will have to call them and ask before you show up with your stuff to try it. Also, please keep in mind that just plugging in the Strike Pro hi-hat most likely isn't going to work. You will need to tweak the internal setting to your module. Basically, it isn't going to be "plug and play".

As for the Roland TD-30, same thing. Call your music store and ask if you can bring in a pad or two and hook it into the Roland TD-30 to see if it will work. Again, they most likely will be okay with this.

One more thing. If you are truly interested in buying these things and you end up using a music store in the way I described above, it would be a good idea to purchase from that music store that lets you do this. Remember "if" they let you test these things, they are doing so (i.e. putting in their time and energy) hoping you buy from them. Nothing is worse than a buyer who goes into a store just to use the sale man's knowledge and floor equipment for testing and then walks out of the store just to buy it somewhere else from some online store that didn't help them at all.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 05:13:37 AM »
Thanks for that, will certainly let people know what I find out.  I'm a couple of hours away from a music shop hence trying to do as much as I can on the internet.  Also, I agree with you completely about not using a music shop that you don't intend to but from.  That's another reason for not going to one! After the release of the TD50 from Roland there's quite a few TD-30's popping up on E-bay, so it's a second hand one I'm looking at.
Thanks again.

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 01:46:51 PM »
Pro-X works on the Crimson.

Bummer that you couldn't get the GoEdrum controller to work nicely either. I remember you asking in my thread.
Did you have the same problem that I described?

Did they say whether there is any difference between the Pro-X and the Strike hi-hat?
I'd assume the controller is the exact same thing but looks like the Strike comes with a nicer top cymbal than the Pro-X.
I've switched out the top of my Pro-X with the standard hi-hat anyways, like most others have.
A2E 5-piece | Bum Wrap Drum Co maple burl wrap | Jobeky & UFO triggers | Drum-Tec real feel heads | Strike module | VH-11 + Strike cymbals | EZD2 + EZXs

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 04:25:02 PM »
However, Alesis were not sure if the Snare from the Strike Pro kit was compatible.

Yes, Alesis Strike 14" Dual-Zone Snare from the Strike Pro kit and Alesis Strike Mesh Head Kick 14" are campatible with Alesis Crimson Mesh Kit.

Eda

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2018, 09:20:00 AM »

I use Laurin snare and toms with my Alesis Crimson module and they work fine right out of the box. I also use Jobeky real feel cymbals and they work fine as well. I am looking to upgrade to a functional hi hat and will report my findings.