Author Topic: Issues with Alesis Nitro Mesh expansion pack on DM6  (Read 644 times)

Issues with Alesis Nitro Mesh expansion pack on DM6
« on: March 10, 2021, 10:08:20 AM »
Hello fellow drummers!

I've been having issues with the snare pad and a cymbal on my DM6, and after doing some research decided to get the Alesis Nitro Mesh expansion pack as a replacement for them (I did a bit of research and found an article saying that it's compatible): https://musicredone.com/products/alesis-nitro-mesh-expansion-pack

The problem I ran into is that after replacing the cymbal with the new one, it's barely registering the hits - I have to whack it quite hard, and even with a moderately fast stroke it only registers about 25% of the time. Upon closer inspection I noticed that all the cymbal cables going from the DM6 module are TS type (fused into the module, not replaceable), while the cables that came with the expansion pack are all TRS. I'm assuming this is because the new cymbal has the "choke" feature, so it needs to send 2 different signals - 1 for the hits and 1 for the choke. As a test, I connected the cymbal to the snare pad cable (the only TRS one on the DM6 module), and indeed it registered the hits much better (though pretty low volume).

So what I'm wondering is: is there a TRS to TS adapter I could get that would fix this issue for me? So far I've found 2 options that I think might work, but I'm not an electrician, so I'm not sure.

Option 1:
Male TRS to female TS adapter. Based on the description it seems to be meant for the opposite direction (splitting a TS signal to a TRS signal, equally to the Tip and the Ring), but I'm guessing it should work in the TRS>TS direction too, by combining the Tip and and Ring signal into the TS Tip signal? But I'm not sure if this would mess with the signal.
https://www.long-mcquade.com/67757/Pro_Audio_Recording/Cables/Roland/Adaptor_1_4_TS_Phone_Female_to_1_4_TRS_Male.htm

Option 2:
Male TRS to 2 female TS splitter. My thinking is that I would connect the DM6 cymbal cable to either the Tip or the Ring part of the splitter (depending on which one is sending the hit signals), and it should work?
https://www.amazon.ca/Hosa-YPP117-inch-Dual-Cable/dp/B000068O54/

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Another small issue I'm having is that the head zone of the new snare is low in volume (the rim part is fine). Not sure what the issue could be there, as the DM6 snare cable is also TRS. Perhaps the DM6 module is just programmed to be less sensitive to the snare signal than more modern kits? But this is a less significant issue, as I can live with programming a new kit with all other inputs lowered in volume.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 10:16:52 AM by Nitro »

Offline Chaser

Re: Issues with Alesis Nitro Mesh expansion pack on DM6
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 02:07:45 PM »
Hello fellow drummers!

I've been having issues with the snare pad and a cymbal on my DM6, and after doing some research decided to get the Alesis Nitro Mesh expansion pack as a replacement for them (I did a bit of research and found an article saying that it's compatible): https://musicredone.com/products/alesis-nitro-mesh-expansion-pack

The problem I ran into is that after replacing the cymbal with the new one, it's barely registering the hits - I have to whack it quite hard, and even with a moderately fast stroke it only registers about 25% of the time. Upon closer inspection I noticed that all the cymbal cables going from the DM6 module are TS type (fused into the module, not replaceable), while the cables that came with the expansion pack are all TRS. I'm assuming this is because the new cymbal has the "choke" feature, so it needs to send 2 different signals - 1 for the hits and 1 for the choke. As a test, I connected the cymbal to the snare pad cable (the only TRS one on the DM6 module), and indeed it registered the hits much better (though pretty low volume).

So what I'm wondering is: is there a TRS to TS adapter I could get that would fix this issue for me? So far I've found 2 options that I think might work, but I'm not an electrician, so I'm not sure.

Option 1:
Male TRS to female TS adapter. Based on the description it seems to be meant for the opposite direction (splitting a TS signal to a TRS signal, equally to the Tip and the Ring), but I'm guessing it should work in the TRS>TS direction too, by combining the Tip and and Ring signal into the TS Tip signal? But I'm not sure if this would mess with the signal.
https://www.long-mcquade.com/67757/Pro_Audio_Recording/Cables/Roland/Adaptor_1_4_TS_Phone_Female_to_1_4_TRS_Male.htm

Option 2:
Male TRS to 2 female TS splitter. My thinking is that I would connect the DM6 cymbal cable to either the Tip or the Ring part of the splitter (depending on which one is sending the hit signals), and it should work?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Another small issue I'm having is that the head zone of the new snare is low in volume (the rim part is fine). Not sure what the issue could be there, as the DM6 snare cable is also TRS. Perhaps the DM6 module is just programmed to be less sensitive to the snare signal than more modern kits? But this is a less significant issue, as I can live with programming a new kit with all other inputs lowered in volume.

This may be a little confusing as Alesis had more than one "DM6" Kit
So the first thing to determine is...which DM6 module?...The Harness aren't "fused"...they use a DB25 connector.
The differences between the modules is extreme...Apples vs Oranges

The Original DM6..(discontinued)..or the DM6/Nitro ? (recently discontinued)...The original DM6 was very limited mostly single zone (TS)..108 sounds and there were (3) DB25 harnesses for expansion.The module does not have expansion ports for the cymbal and Tom..the modules firmware does not work with Mesh Pads..it was designed for rubber type..Mesh pads have the Piezo/trigger much lower in the shell

The DM6 Nitro was the Original DM6 Kit USB Kit with the Newer Medeli DD512 module which was also fomerly the DM7X module and is also on the newer Nitro Mesh and Surge Mesh Kit.This module supports dual zones and has expansion ports on it specifically for a tom and cymbal expansion kit..the firmware supports rubber and mesh triggers..Alesis never released any info if the DM6 Nitro module has different firmware than the Nitro Mesh module...both look identical and the name didn't change

TRS is typically... Tip (Piezo trigger type..bow/head)..Ring (Piezo Trigger Type= Tom Rims...Switch Trigger Type = Bell/Edge) and Sleeve which is basically Ground..Cymbals typically use the Ring for the edge/bell triggers and won't function in a tom port unless the module has the ability to change trigger type.

EDIT: Added link for All the different versions of the DM6 Kits
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 03:05:07 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 06:43:55 PM »
Thanks for your response, Chaser.

I have the original DM6 USB Kit, with the original DM6 module. It has all single zone triggers with TS cables other than the snare, yes. And you're right, it uses a DB25 connector - I just meant that it wasn't individual cables that can be swapped in and out separately.

So based on your response, it sounds like I should be able to solve my main issue with option # 2 - by using a TRS to 2 TS splitter, and connecting the module's cymbal TS cable to to the Ring side of the splitter?

And sounds like you confirmed my suspicion about the module being programmed for a different sensitivity of the snare head (with the mesh one sending a weaker signal). Is there any simple mod/hack I could do to have the mesh snare send a stronger signal from the head?

The article that I originally read simply stated that it's compatible with DM6, without specifying which version - my bad for not digging deeper I guess. Should've posted here before buying. Lesson learned.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 07:04:32 PM by Nitro »

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 08:11:07 PM »
Thanks for your response, Chaser.

I have the original DM6 USB Kit, with the original DM6 module. It has all single zone triggers with TS cables other than the snare, yes. And you're right, it uses a DB25 connector - I just meant that it wasn't individual cables that can be swapped in and out separately.

So based on your response, it sounds like I should be able to solve my main issue with option # 2 - by using a TRS to 2 TS splitter, and connecting the module's cymbal TS cable to to the Ring side of the splitter?

And sounds like you confirmed my suspicion about the module being programmed for a different sensitivity of the snare head (with the mesh one sending a weaker signal). Is there any simple mod/hack I could do to have the mesh snare send a stronger signal from the head?

The article that I originally read simply stated that it's compatible with DM6, without specifying which version - my bad for not digging deeper I guess. Should've posted here before buying. Lesson learned.

The adapter will not solve the problem..you'll be dumping a Piezo and Switch signal into a module that can't read switch signals..
so whatever happens when mixing 2 signal types may not be desirable,if anything it would probably be a full velocity signal....that is if you hit it exactly on one of the 7 dots used for choking..
I have a number of these 10" cymbals laying around for testing modules etc and then can also be used as dual zone...as long as your aim is good enough to hit the dots...without a Ring on the cable the Cymbal choke can't work or interfere with the Bow signal..it's simply disconnected.

The original DM6 (Medeli DD501) is a very limited module..

There isn't anything at all for Triggers adjustments/settings...the only option is the Voice Volume.

1.Press VOICE to enter Voice Select Mode.The LCD  will  display  the  current  Voice  number  and  the Voice Indicator will light up.
2.Use VALUE +/- to select a Voice.
3.To  adjust  a  trigger's  volume (which  is  different  from  the  Master  or  Kit  volume  levels), press  VOLUME  to  enter  Volume  Adjustment  Mode.
The  Volume  Indicator  will  light  up  and  the  LCD  will  display  the  trigger's  current  volume.
Use  VALUE +/- to adjust it.
When you are finished, press VOICE to re-enter Voice Selection Mode or press another button.

EDIT:
Added Links/attachments DM6 User Guide and Sound List

« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 08:58:21 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 09:05:12 PM »
Thanks! Just to clarify, this is what I'm talking about:
So not really an adapter, but a splitter. I think it should split the piezo and switch signals, and send one to the Tip cable, and the other to the Ring cable, no? Rather than mixing/combining them. I think the mixing/combining would be an issue with the option #1 I suggested, where it's just a simple adapter. But maybe option #2 is OK, because it splits the 2 signals? Just wanted to make sure there's no misunderstanding, or maybe I'm missing something.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 09:44:21 PM »
Thanks! Just to clarify, this is what I'm talking about:
So not really an adapter, but a splitter. I think it should split the piezo and switch signals, and send one to the Tip cable, and the other to the Ring cable, no? Rather than mixing/combining them. I think the mixing/combining would be an issue with the option #1 I suggested, where it's just a simple adapter. But maybe option #2 is OK, because it splits the 2 signals? Just wanted to make sure there's no misunderstanding, or maybe I'm missing something.

So you are going to split a single zone cymbal with choke and use 2 TS cables from the module.
Where do you think you are going to send a switch signal (originally designed for  choking) to a module that can't read switch signals?..
You are focusing on splitting a cymbal with a signal that has no place to go..

EDIT:
After re-reading this entire topic I think you are under the impression that you think by using a splitter that it will some how eliminate a problem of sensitivity/triggering for the cymbal Bow that you believe is somehow being caused by the choke...it won't..the choke is on a separate circuit (ring) as mentioned above and a TS cable into a TRS jack will not make the ring connection..the choke (membrane switch) is disconnected... if you feel there is a problem with the cymbal ...send it back...

« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 10:39:31 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2021, 11:08:28 PM »
Sorry for the confusion - I don't actually care about the choke. I was hoping I could split the TRS signal into 2 TS signals and then only connect the "hit" signal (or whatever the terminology is) to the module, but leave the choke signal unconnected.