Author Topic: Piezo Size  (Read 9503 times)

Piezo Size
« on: March 15, 2012, 07:32:01 AM »
I am going to convert my single zone Medeli DD602 pads to mesh and also add another piezo to make them dual zone.  Does anyone know what size piezo I should use?  I was thinking 27mm.

Online Hellfire

Re: Piezo Size
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 09:39:43 AM »

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 05:46:28 AM »
I ordered some 27mm piezo triggers and they arrived today.   I noticed that they appear to be smaller than the ones installed in the drum pads at the moment.    They measure 27mm however this is the steel plate, not the ceramic disc.   Are these the correct size?

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 09:53:59 AM »
Had another look at the existing piezo in the pad and it actually is 27mm. 

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 01:32:40 PM »
Hellfire, do you or anyone else know the "operating specs" for the ones used in the DM10X??? Need to buy one to replace the one in my kick!!

Offline Trondster

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 01:39:19 PM »
"27mm".
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 01:44:05 PM »
Hellfire, do you or anyone else know the "operating specs" for the ones used in the DM10X??? Need to buy one to replace the one in my kick!!

To be perfectly honest with you, many people new to the DIY thing get hung up on the whole specs thing about piezo elements. It really isn't that crucial. Any two wire piezo from 20mm up to about 30mm will work just fine. Heck, I've even used 10mm piezo elements in my builds and got then to work just fine.

With Alesis modules I tend not to go above 27mm. That's because the Alesis modules tend to have high input gain on the trigger. They do that because the less expensive triggers tend to use the smaller piezo elements. On the other hand Roland works good with a 35mm piezo, but don't use those on an Alesis module or the trigger will always be too hot. Basically, it will max out too quickly. It won't hurt your module, it will just make it hard to dial in.

Keep in mind these are general rules based on standard type DIY builds. It is possible to use larger piezo elements, but you will need to alter your build to work around the piezo. I hope that helps.

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 01:59:50 PM »
Thanks you guy's...what would be the best way to remove the old one and attach the new one?????

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2019, 06:33:59 PM »
It would be awesome to make this, or a similar thread on this topic, Sticky
Alesis DM10X Mesh - Laurin Drums & Cymbals - Strike Module
Dartanbeck.com Digital Artist