Author Topic: Bricked DM6 USB Kit  (Read 1050 times)

Bricked DM6 USB Kit
« on: August 04, 2019, 05:07:57 PM »
Hi Alesisdrummers,

I had issues with that hi-hat/snare crosstalk, so i decided to update the module to v06. I downloaded the firmware from alesis.com, followed all the instructions and flashed the unit. Had couple of errors then the unit is all bricked...The pc doesn't recognize it and there are nonsense characters on the display. Please share if you had a similar issue...
I contacted alesis over their website but no answers...Their software killed my hardware...and i am years away from a valid warranty...is that my fault or theirs?
Is there a way to reflash it to the previous version?

Please share any info if you have...
Thanks a lot...

Offline Chaser

Re: Bricked DM6 USB Kit
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 06:14:41 PM »
Hi Alesisdrummers,

I had issues with that hi-hat/snare crosstalk, so i decided to update the module to v06. I downloaded the firmware from alesis.com, followed all the instructions and flashed the unit. Had couple of errors then the unit is all bricked...The pc doesn't recognize it and there are nonsense characters on the display. Please share if you had a similar issue...
I contacted alesis over their website but no answers...Their software killed my hardware...and i am years away from a valid warranty...is that my fault or theirs?
Is there a way to reflash it to the previous version?

Please share any info if you have...
Thanks a lot...

To return the DM6 module to its original settings, hold down VALUE + and VALUE – simultaneously while turning on the module. This will restore its factory settings, but with everything you have done including removing the chip and trying to reprogram it there's no guarantee it will work.
Alesis as do most companies put a disclaimer in the updating instructions warning about damage if update failure or power disconnect etc and responsibility falls on the user.
If its out of warranty then there is little that can be done other than an to hope for an understanding rep,but if you go the "blame" route you'll more than likely be ignored.

Re: Bricked DM6 USB Kit
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 06:53:23 PM »
Hi Chaser,

First thing tomorrow i will try to flash the unit with v05 firmware that you have uploaded. (thanks a million). The only way to do that is removing the nand chip, write the fw with the programmer and resolder it back on the module. I will cross my fingers and give that a try.

Being not the only one with a brick, who else i have to blame? As an advanced pc user, both macos and win, i followed up every instruction before flashing to new fw... with no power or cable issues...The unit went dead. I believe there are minor nuances on devices which are sold in europe. The fw worked fine with some and killed the others. And alesis keep silent, thats the thing that rings my bell. Even selling new chips with the fw on is a solution, but they became ghosts...and i wasn't a blamer till now.

I hope the thing works so i may share the knowledge with the other sufferers...Thanks for your help again...!