Author Topic: DM10 / MacBook Pro / iMovie / GarageBand / 1st Video  (Read 5234 times)

Offline ghostman

DM10 / MacBook Pro / iMovie / GarageBand / 1st Video
« on: July 05, 2010, 02:09:38 AM »
OK!!!
I FINALLY finished my project that I said I'd do.

DISCLAIMER:
This is my FIRST video I have ever done of myself drumming.  (Don't ask what my other videos are.. Wink )  The drumming is fair, at best, and kinda kludgy in the beginning.  I was mostly concentrating on the video camera on me rather than drumming.  Then I relaxed a bit.
Secondarily, I wanted to show some of the functionality of the DM10, and my e-kit.  So, there are parts that show the Visualite hi-hats with the drop clutch (this is HUGE, in my opinion).  The dynamic sounds of the DM10 - hard and soft hits.

To watch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-UiIkhGL68

Anyway, this was using my MacBook Pro (about 2 years old at this point), Garage Band, iMovie and an old video camera (at least 7 years old).

Here are the details of the experiment / video.
Step 1: started the video first, then GarageBand for recording.
Pretty simple, click record on GB, and I have a remote for the video camera.  I think starting them at the same time would be optimal, but difficult.

Step 2: play drums.
Duh.

Step 3: stop GB & video cam
Again, stoping at the same time might make syncing the video and audio easier, but, meh.

Step 4: Import the video into iMovie
This was done via FireWire - my video camera has a FireWire export, iMove makes this REALLY easy.

Step 5: Detach the original audio from the video.
This took me a while to figure out.  It wasn't very intuitive but I finally figured out that in order to take out the audio the video camera recorded, there is a 'detach audio' feature.

Step 6: clip the video to a more useful start / end
The precision editor is pretty cool.  But mostly I needed to erase the beginning of the tape that was imported that were of other projects, so I had to trim.

Step 7: Edit the GarageBand audio file to trim out the empty space.
The video was where I wanted it, now to focus on the audio, so I simply opened up the GB file, and trimmed out the dead space.  Save.

Step 8: attach the GB file to iMovie.
This was weird. There seems to be 2 ways to attach.  iMovie made it easy, you simply browse for the file, and drag it into iMovie.  HOWEVER, if you drag it to the clip, it can put it in the clip out outside the clip, this took a while to figure out.  If it is IN the clip, you can't do anything to sync the audio with the video.  The key (which took me a while to figure out) is to have the audio outside the clip.  THEN, you can drag the audio clip around to sync the two.

Step 9: Synch the audio with the video.
This was tough.  I am sure professional level software makes this simple, but with iMove, this seems more difficult that it should be.  In the end, I think I lucked into it.  The sync is pretty darn good, and it STAYS synced the whole video.

Step 10: publish / export video.
This was CAKE.  you export it to the HD, and you're done.  What is even cooler, is there is an 'share' pulldown, and one of the options is youTube.  You add your account, and share it, and iMovie exports and uploads the video.

So, that's my quasi 'report' on using a Mac with the FREE included software of GarageBand and iMovie.  Overall, it can be done, the hardest part is syncing the audio with the video.

comments and questions accepted.  Good luck!!
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.

Offline Tsints

Re: DM10 / MacBook Pro / iMovie / GarageBand / 1st Video
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 05:43:45 AM »
I can't watch the video, it's marked as private...

Offline Rev2010

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 10:13:23 AM »

Yep, same for me.

Rev.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 10:50:53 AM »
same for me.

Offline ghostman

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 09:39:14 PM »
I fixed it this morning.. sorry - I am a youTube Newbie.
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 10:09:58 PM »
I fixed it this morning.. sorry - I am a youTube Newbie.
You are on your way to being a YouTube star. Good video ghostman.

Offline ghostman

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 02:33:03 PM »
Haha.. I very seriously doubt it.  but it was kind of fun...  I guess as long as I don't make it on Tosh.0, I'll be happy.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 04:12:57 PM »
good stuff.   I watched on my laptop in Lake Tahoe.  Here vacationing with the family.  Darn laptop has only the right speaker working, so it wasn't the best computer to check your video out.  Will do again when I get home.

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 03:12:43 AM »
Nice video Ghostman, How the blazes did you get that nice slosh sound on the High Hats? I have the same HH and havn't come close to that yet. What settings and sounds are you using on the HH? Is the drop clutch the secret?

Offline Guinness

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 10:15:38 PM »
that was from the DM10 or a VST?  It sounded really good.  (I am home now and am able to listen to it with good speakers.)   

Yes, you definately warmed up midway through.  Sounded really good.  I like how you used that drop clutch...  it worked like it's supposed to.

Anyways.. good stuff.  Thanks for posting!

Offline ghostman

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 11:55:16 AM »
Drumslinger:
the hi-hat is the Visualites from PinTech - with the controller between the hats - not the controller box attached to the pedal.  If you have those hats, then it should work the same...  we can chat sometime if you still aren't getting it - do you have a drop clutch or a standard clutch?  If you just loosen a standard clutch and let it rest, you should get the same sound.  But, it may be the sound set - I used 004 "Big Wet".  I seem to be using that one A LOT.
 Guinness
DM 10 -- 004 Big Wet

BTW, sorry about the 'headless' shot, but the camera can't move any further away on the tripod, nor zoom out any further.  It's kinda funny..

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 05:15:35 PM »
Nice work m8, could see u getting ur groove bout 1/2 way thru

cheers
Alesis DM 10 studio, DW3000 double kick, Alesis 6 ch mix, Pearl Speed Beat throne, Alesis 50watt Transactive Drumer Amp, Shure WH20 Dynamic Headset Microphone.

Offline ghostman

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 07:59:24 PM »
Thanks, radman.
Next time I think I'll warm up a bit.. between being kinda nervous and paying attention to the technical stuff.  It was fun, I'll need to play a cover and record that.