Author Topic: DM10 studio, alternative setup  (Read 3758 times)

DM10 studio, alternative setup
« on: May 08, 2010, 05:37:22 PM »
After using the standard DM10 studio setup for about two weeks I wanted to try something different.

I have never had any tomtoms on the left hand side of my hi-hat but first of all I could use the rim for a splash/china on the left side. So, I removed the module and replaced it with tom4. Now, I could move my tom3 a bit to right and having it more where I would suppose my floor tom would be. Back in my acoustic drum era I always had ride cymbal as the rightmost cymbal and crash cymbals somewhere between ride and hi-hat. That I also changed and I was very pleased with my setup so far. But I still had the DM10 module in my hand and I knew it had to be mounted. There was just enough space behind my snare and I placed it there, actually a really good place for the module: accessible, more to the center of the kit (cables). And I think the module would be in a safe place, "deeper" between everything and thus maybe not taking collateral damage.

Here's the pics:
http://tinypic.com/useralbum.php?ua=CeJT%2B%2BBk2KaD%2B5LOor7smQ%3D%3D

Note the "pedal board" that I made, I use it to easily lift all the pedals so even the smallest junior drummer in our family can reach the pedals  ;D

Now what I need would be some guidance and inspiration on how to make the most out of the left hand tomtom...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 05:42:04 PM by Juziz »

Offline Guinness

Re: DM10 studio, alternative setup
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 08:19:49 PM »
Looks cool.   One suggestion might be, since you now have the module on the snare arm, you might want to insulate it from vibrations.  The snare takes alot of abuse, and as with any electronics, vibrations can be bad over time.  One suggestion would be to get some felt and wrap the module holder.  Stuff the arm with old cotton socks or t-shirts.  Lots of ways to limit vibrations.   My two cents...

Happy playing!

Offline Pier

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 07:47:02 AM »
Yep, I fully agree with Guinness; I moved my DM10 Studio snare pad on a regular snare drum stand just to get no crosstalk and set it at high sensitivity levels. This would applies perfectly even in YOUR case, where the drum brain is on the very same arm!

Regarding the side left tom: coming from acoustic drum kit, I just can say that what I've seen until now on the left are three things:
- A second snare drum (usually a "piccolo" or some "special" snare drum suitable as a 'second' voice)
- A floor tom or anyway a deeper tom, usually used to get some extra low hits made to deepen the snare sound (in conjunction) or to add hits with your left hand, that is 'out' of the usual "two-four" bar schemes
- A special effect (Octobans, gong drum, special electronic effect, etc)

This depends heavily on the musical genre you play with your band...
Hope that helps

Online Hellfire

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 09:04:09 AM »
I would think about mounting the module on it's own stand (which is what I've done). I also mounted my snare trigger in a standard snare stand. The Hi-hat is the only thing on that arm. That left arm get the most vibration of the entire kit because of the the hi-hat. It's really the only trigger that is always being hit (that and the ride cymbal as well). Just my two cents. ;)

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 02:36:57 PM »
Thank you all for your comments, excellent ideas! A separate stand for both snare and module would be great. I must look for some suitable stands sometime.

Actually I am already changing the kit again  :P The tom on the left didn't feel right, it would have needed a stand of it's own I think. Next up is 3+1 tom setup if I can squeeze everything to the front beam. I will still keep my ride on the right arm. The module will go back to the original position.

Offline Pier

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 02:44:15 PM »
After every setup tweaking, try to play a little (even without your headphones on).
You'll imediately recognize if the new placement is correct for you because it will became COMFORTABLE !

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 05:53:31 PM »
At Juziz :D I have it put up like you now... It's okay. But ill change it :D

greetings from germany :D

Offline Burtmeister

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 06:29:26 PM »
I also moved my snare to it's own stand. That freed up one arm that I mounted the module on all by itself.