Author Topic: Steven Slate Drums EX plus expansions - WHAOW!!!  (Read 6355 times)

Steven Slate Drums EX plus expansions - WHAOW!!!
« on: April 27, 2010, 09:08:16 AM »
Hi all,
I`ve just downloaded SSD EX and 2 expansions from their website.
Installed it and now using my DM10 studio via usb as midi input.
This software is ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC, just the Black Kit (Metallica Lars Ulrich) was worth the money.
My rigg now beats the crap out of Roland, thats for sure.
SSD also added sensivity on all pads compared to DM10 modules sound.
And you can also play with room mics, drum mics and all kinds of effects and of course tuning your drums.
I HIGHLY RECOMEND SSD - YOU WILL LOVE IT TOO!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers, Peter
SWEDEN

Online Hellfire

Re: Steven Slate Drums EX plus expansions - WHAOW!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 09:28:21 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Peter. I think VST's are the future of edrumming. It will be interesting to see how Alesis taps into this in the future. If you get a chance, make some mp3's and post links to them so we can hear too. :)

Offline ghostman

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 01:04:14 PM »
Hiya Peter!

I got SSD EX for $20 a month or so ago, I agree, the sounds are fantastic.  I use the trigger IO w/ SSD, and am in the process of setting up my DM10 module on my kit.

I like the enthusiasm!

BTW, the hi-hat articulation for SSD using the DM10 - was it very easy?  On the trigger IO I needed to get a MIDI interception software to get it to work right. (MIDI Pipe on the Mac).
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.

Offline DeeDubs

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 09:09:39 PM »
ghostman,

how do I find out when SSD goes on sale? this is twice I missed out..  :'(
Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Check out my silly mug with "So What" at http://www.sowhatct.com

Offline ghostman

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 12:11:49 PM »
ghostman,

how do I find out when SSD goes on sale? this is twice I missed out..  :'(

The Brain Dead deal was a happen upon chance.  The expansion packs are on sale now, and I am not sure of the time limit, if any.

Currently, GuitarCenter is selling Superior Drummer 2.0 from ToonTrack at 50% off.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Toontrack-Superior-Drummer-2-0-105153522-i1401765.gc
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 10:08:30 AM »
Well, I´ve not figured out how to set hihat and cymbals to work as with the DM10 module. But I`ll find it soon I hope.

I bought via stevenslatedrums.com and downloaded right away.
159 $ for the EX and 2 expansion packs. Very reasonable!!

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 01:26:44 PM »
Gentlemen,

Pardon me but I am a longtime acoustic drummer who a couple of years ago died and moved to the suburbs with wife and young son.  After lots of thought, I purchased the DM10 studio kit and really wanted the versatility allowed with VST software like SSD.  Couple of questions.

1.  Can you use the EX and expansion kits with the DM10 studio module?  Does it trigger the pads and cymbals with the Zep kit and others?

2.  Do you have to use it tied to the laptop or can the sound sets actually get installed into the DM10 module.

Again very new to the electronic drum kit world and just want to know the $159.00 is worth it without a lot of hassle.

THanks,

CSB

Offline ghostman

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 02:02:46 PM »
Gentlemen,

Pardon me but I am a longtime acoustic drummer who a couple of years ago died and moved to the suburbs with wife and young son.  After lots of thought, I purchased the DM10 studio kit and really wanted the versatility allowed with VST software like SSD.  Couple of questions.

1.  Can you use the EX and expansion kits with the DM10 studio module?  Does it trigger the pads and cymbals with the Zep kit and others?

2.  Do you have to use it tied to the laptop or can the sound sets actually get installed into the DM10 module.

Again very new to the electronic drum kit world and just want to know the $159.00 is worth it without a lot of hassle.

THanks,

CSB

Short answers:
1) yes.
1a)  I think I understand what you are asking, and yes - you pick the kit you like in SSD, and play your pads to trigger the sounds - the Zep kit is one of my fav's on SSD as well.  There may be some setup required to get the pads to trigger the sounds you want.

2) SSD has to be running on a laptop / computer.  You cannot import your own sounds to the DM10.

SSD is a VST (Virtual Studio T-something..) it has sounds that are professionally recorded that you primarily access via MIDI.  There are more VST's than just Steven Slate Drums.

The DM10 module (or Trigger IO module or any MIDI capable module) can access those sounds via MIDI - you will need SSD running on a laptop, and the USB cable that came with your DM10 can connect to the computer for MIDI access.

Hope that helps - browse the VST section to get a better understanding of some users working with the DM10 and SSD.  SSD is popular around here because a bunch of us got it on sale a while back.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 03:54:45 PM »
SSD is a VST (Virtual Studio T-something..) it has sounds that are professionally recorded that you primarily access via MIDI.  There are more VST's than just Steven Slate Drums.

VST = Virtual Studio Technology

Yes, I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.   :D