Author Topic: Strike Pro users: your experiences?  (Read 3010 times)

Offline iCe

Strike Pro users: your experiences?
« on: October 23, 2018, 06:14:45 AM »
Hi all,

I'm considering buying a Strike Pro kit and I'm looking for input of users. The price of this kit is the max i want to go for an electronic kit, so'm I'm not considering more expensive kits.
I read a lot a different reviews online, mostly favorable from websites, but I'm looking for user inputs.

So what I'm asking to the Strike Pro users; what do you like and what do you not like about it?
Alesis DM10 Studio kit with 682drums mesh heads
Asus F551MAV-BING-SX1008B - Laptop

Offline Iggford

Re: Strike Pro users: your experiences?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 02:21:32 PM »
I bought my Strike kit back in February of this year, and I gig with it at least twice a month.  I transport the module between the Strike and my older DM10 kit, that I keep at our bandleader's house for practice. 

First of all, I will say that I definitely love this kit.  There have been different issues that people have had, and one of the most widespread quirks, in my opinion, seems to be the hi-hat.  The stock controller can be a bit of a pain to get dialed in.  There have been firmware updates that have made it exponentially better, though.  You can get a replacement spring for yours if you get the older version.  That is supposed to make even more improvements.

I have tried the GoEdrum hi-hat controller, with better results, and I even tried a Zildjian Gen16 A/E solution.  That worked pretty well, except it was a little of a challenge getting the mix JUST right from show to show.  I just bought a Roland VH-11 hi-hat to see how that works, and I think I've found MY solution for that issue.  It gets its first on-stage use tomorrow night. The Strike hi-hat pad itself can leave a little to be desired in terms of responsiveness, at least I think so, so the Roland was a plus for me.  For me, the playability falls in between stock and the the Gen16, closer to the Gen16. 

Another issue that I've seen people talk about is the center plate in (mainly) the snare.  It will crack in certain instances.  Some people have said they have it happen, while others never do.  I've (so far) been one of the fortunate ones to have not had it happen to me.  If you're still covered under warranty, it's not hard to get a replacement pad, but there are DIY solutions outlined in various places that should keep you going if you're not.  I'm not a powerhouse player, but there are times that I know I hit a little harder than normal.  I try to inspect my internals with a flashlight every so often, just in case.

I DID have to have my module replaced a couple months in.  It was doing a quirky thing where I'd turn it on and it would be anywhere from 2 to 5 to sometimes 10 or 15 minutes before I'd get sound out of my main outputs.  Alesis was wonderful in this case.  I talked back and forth with a rep via email, and, even though we couldn't pinpoint a cause and determine 100% that it was a fault in my module and not some of my external sound equipment, they had me send it in.  I had a brand new one as a replacement within a couple of days.  They made sure all of this took place in a 2-week break my band was in so that I didn't have to go without for a gig. 

Sorry for the long-windedness of this post.  I just wanted to share the entirety of my experience with the kit.  As a DM10 owner, I was already happy with my Alesis experience.  When I made my upgrade, I considered the Strike, the Pearl Mimic Pro for a module-only upgrade, and a couple of the higher-end Roland modules, again for a module-only switch.  The enormous pads and the overall look of the Strike tipped me over that line, and I haven't looked back since.  The module is very versatile, and the built-in sampler is a HUGE plus for me.  The rack is very sturdy, and the kit, at least for me, travels very well.  Not to mention the fact that it gets people talking.  I've had a few admirers at just about every show I've taken it to.

I bought mine from Sweetwater in order to get the 2-year coverage rather than just the 1-year from Alesis.  It's a little added peace of mind for me since I use it on the road a lot.  But with all the great owners out there that are more than willing to help in times of frustration, you enter into a community that, to me, is of even more value than the kit itself.

As far as like vs. don't like, for me, there are little quirks, maybe even annoyances.  However, I've had that with any other kit I've owned.  I don't think there's any time I've said I don't like something with this one, though.  My outlook has been more like, "ok, this is what it is, how can I improve it to work better for me?"

Good luck in your adventure.  I hope you have a great experience if you decide to go with the Strike!

--
Shawn.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 03:58:08 PM »
Shawn that was a wonderful synopsis and even though I don't have a Strike yet, still a DM10X guy, reading your review and all the detail you went into was really beneficial (and also great to hear what you do with yours and how it's fared along the way).

Keep up the great commentary and may you continue to wow audiences with your skills and equipment!
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline iCe

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 01:35:42 AM »
What a great review! I don't mind the length at all, it's exactly what i was looking for; a honest review. I think that every (electric) drumset has it quirks, but i am/was looking for a review from a user who had it for a longer time. The reviews i find online on sites are 9 out of 10 times based on a couple of sessions, not spanning weeks or months. So thank you for that! I've already decided that i want to get one, but I'm looking if i can get a discount somewhere or should wait for black friday.

Having said that; i have an DM10 Studio kit at home and modded it with mesh heads, but the pads don't trigger correctly anymore (tried different settings). The sounds on the DM10 are perfect IMO and was even looking at the DM10mkII, but read that the Pro X Hi-hat isn't supported and that the new module isn't that versatile as the 'old' grey module.

Oh and since i have the DM10 i think i'll split some channels and use the cymbal pads from the DM10 and stop using the rims for splashes an china's :)

Offline iCe

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 04:59:25 AM »
BTW; are the rackclamps of the DM10 compatible with the Strike Pro rack? I plan to mount 3 cymbal pads on the rack, but i can't find info about the rackclamps or the diameter of the rack pipes

Offline Iggford

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 11:03:16 AM »
Shawn that was a wonderful synopsis and even though I don't have a Strike yet, still a DM10X guy, reading your review and all the detail you went into was really beneficial (and also great to hear what you do with yours and how it's fared along the way).

Keep up the great commentary and may you continue to wow audiences with your skills and equipment!

Thanks, Alan!  I was always so appreciative of the help I got when trying to make my decision, and then again to confirm my choice.  It really helped me feel that I made the right one.  I just want to help out wherever I can and return the favor!

I've got so much video to sort through, and now even more with the show last night.  I'll have to get it done so I can share the road stories! 

What a great review! I don't mind the length at all, it's exactly what i was looking for; a honest review. I think that every (electric) drumset has it quirks, but i am/was looking for a review from a user who had it for a longer time. The reviews i find online on sites are 9 out of 10 times based on a couple of sessions, not spanning weeks or months. So thank you for that! I've already decided that i want to get one, but I'm looking if i can get a discount somewhere or should wait for black friday.

Having said that; i have an DM10 Studio kit at home and modded it with mesh heads, but the pads don't trigger correctly anymore (tried different settings). The sounds on the DM10 are perfect IMO and was even looking at the DM10mkII, but read that the Pro X Hi-hat isn't supported and that the new module isn't that versatile as the 'old' grey module.

Oh and since i have the DM10 i think i'll split some channels and use the cymbal pads from the DM10 and stop using the rims for splashes an china's :)

I'm glad that you found it helpful!  My previous kit was the DM10 Studio Mesh kit.  It's a very good kit, even still.  It gets some stage time when I have to go a bit smaller!  I did the same thing, and split a couple of the pads off.  I even split my kick so I could use a double-bass setup.  At the time, I could afford a single pedal like the one I already had a whole lot better than buying a double pedal.

I've split all four of my Strike toms, one for a china, one for a cowbell and the other two for various sounds.  I have identical kits built with those two pads different on each one based on what I need so I can just call them up between songs easily.

BTW; are the rackclamps of the DM10 compatible with the Strike Pro rack? I plan to mount 3 cymbal pads on the rack, but i can't find info about the rackclamps or the diameter of the rack pipes

I'm about 99% sure the DM10 clamps work just fine with the Strike rack.  I've used Roland and Simmons clamps on my Strike, but I haven't moved any of my DM10 clamps over.  The Rolands were just a bit too loose, so I used a strap around one side to tighten it up.  I had to do the exact same mod for both my DM10 and my Strike.  So, by that I would say the DM10 clamps should work just fine.

--
Shawn.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 11:52:19 AM »

I'm about 99% sure the DM10 clamps work just fine with the Strike rack.  I've used Roland and Simmons clamps on my Strike, but I haven't moved any of my DM10 clamps over.  The Rolands were just a bit too loose, so I used a strap around one side to tighten it up.  I had to do the exact same mod for both my DM10 and my Strike.  So, by that I would say the DM10 clamps should work just fine.

--
Shawn.

I think the frame's tube size is the same for the DM10's and Strike.. but if the clamps are at least similar, there'd be enough play in the bolt if the Strike was slightly larger, to tighten.. if the Strike was a bit smaller diameter, perhaps a bit of rubber would give it enough grab to keep cymbals or pads from slipping?
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Iggford

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 12:40:43 PM »
I think the frame's tube size is the same for the DM10's and Strike.. but if the clamps are at least similar, there'd be enough play in the bolt if the Strike was slightly larger, to tighten.. if the Strike was a bit smaller diameter, perhaps a bit of rubber would give it enough grab to keep cymbals or pads from slipping?

I'm about positive you're right about the tube size (that's the problem with not having both kits in the same place!).  I do like the clamps on the Strike a bit better.  They are like my Roland clamps in that they hinge open.  Makes it so much easier to add clamps. 

I agree, though, about adding something to keep it from slipping.  In my opinion, the Strike tubes seem to be harder to tighten down on because they are kinda slick.  Even with that, all it took was a velcro cable tie around one side of my Roland clamps (and they are quite a bit larger around) to keep it from moving on the rack.

--
Shawn

Offline iCe

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 02:46:49 PM »
Again, thanks for the fast and helpful replies! I've already made the decision that I'm going to buy a Strike Pro kit, but I'm looking for a discount somewhere (haven't found it) or debating with myself if I should wait for the holiday season and hope for a price drop. But I fear that that will not be the case. Anyway... i guess i can't wait for another week and order it haha.

I just realized that i also need to get cables for the extra cymbals/pads i want to add.
Should this splitter be proficient for use with the module?

https://www.thomann.de/nl/pro_snake_tpy_2003_pbb.htm

I'll split a couple of pads so i can trigger a splash, 2nd hihat (x-hat) and a china. I even thought of perhaps using the DM10 hi-hat trigger pedal for some effects.
That will come near my acoustic setup and expect a lot of fun to play again at home.

If the DM10 clamps fit the Strike rack, that would be perfect. I've had the issue before with my Pearl DR-80 rack (which I use with my acoustic set) that 2 small cymbal boom arms were not 7/8", so they were too small for the clamps. Bit of rubber from a bicycle's inner tire around it and it fitted like charm.

Offline Iggford

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 03:05:30 PM »
Again, thanks for the fast and helpful replies! I've already made the decision that I'm going to buy a Strike Pro kit, but I'm looking for a discount somewhere (haven't found it) or debating with myself if I should wait for the holiday season and hope for a price drop. But I fear that that will not be the case. Anyway... i guess i can't wait for another week and order it haha.

I just realized that i also need to get cables for the extra cymbals/pads i want to add.

I'll split a couple of pads so i can trigger a splash, 2nd hihat (x-hat) and a china. I even thought of perhaps using the DM10 hi-hat trigger pedal for some effects.
That will come near my acoustic setup and expect a lot of fun to play again at home.

If the DM10 clamps fit the Strike rack, that would be perfect. I've had the issue before with my Pearl DR-80 rack (which I use with my acoustic set) that 2 small cymbal boom arms were not 7/8", so they were too small for the clamps. Bit of rubber from a bicycle's inner tire around it and it fitted like charm.

I'm about positive that the clamps will be interchangeable between the Alesis kits.

I do know you need a TRS to dual-TS splitter.  I bought four of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000068O54/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They work perfectly for splitting the toms.  I tried splitting cymbals, but I got mixed results. 

I'd be interested to know if you have luck using your hi-hat controller for applications on the Strike.  I use mine with my practice kit, but I've often thought about adding it to my Strike kit.  I haven't taken the time to work on that part yet, though.

--
Shawn

Offline AlanK

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2018, 10:24:28 AM »
Yep, I've bought and used up to four of a similar type of y splitter on my DM10 to add more crashes and another 8" pad in the past. By the way, the clamps that come witht the DM10X are the hinged type and thank goodness.. my first foray into e-drumming was a bottom of the line kit that had slide on clamps and it was a major pain in the buttski to add or remove 'em. I think that would be a deal breaker if I was ever upgrading my kit to one that didn't come with hinged clamps!

Have a great weekend everybody!

Offline Iggford

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2018, 03:00:48 PM »
Yep, I've bought and used up to four of a similar type of y splitter on my DM10 to add more crashes and another 8" pad in the past. By the way, the clamps that come witht the DM10X are the hinged type and thank goodness.. my first foray into e-drumming was a bottom of the line kit that had slide on clamps and it was a major pain in the buttski to add or remove 'em. I think that would be a deal breaker if I was ever upgrading my kit to one that didn't come with hinged clamps!

Have a great weekend everybody!

I just have the DM10 Studio Mesh kit, so I have the slide-on clamps on that one.  Talk about a PITA! :)  It's much easier to work with the Strike clamps.

Funny story.  I had my Roland TD-6 kit, bought it in 2001.  It wasn't until I had been using my second kit, exactly the same as the first, for about 2 or 3 years (that would have made it around 2011) that I realized the clamps hinged open.  ALL that time thinking I had to dismantle the rack to move pads around.  I was a little bummed when my DM10 clamps were the slide-on kind, but I don't change it around a whole lot at this point.  I'm just glad they moved away from those on the higher-level kits.

You guys have a good weekend as well!! :)

--
Shawn

Offline iCe

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2018, 07:22:17 AM »

I'm about positive that the clamps will be interchangeable between the Alesis kits.

I do know you need a TRS to dual-TS splitter.  I bought four of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000068O54/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They work perfectly for splitting the toms.  I tried splitting cymbals, but I got mixed results. 

I'd be interested to know if you have luck using your hi-hat controller for applications on the Strike.  I use mine with my practice kit, but I've often thought about adding it to my Strike kit.  I haven't taken the time to work on that part yet, though.

--
Shawn

Thanks! I've found a similar splitter on the Thomann site. 9 out of 10 times i need some gear i order it there, plus that it would save me a lot instead of importing those splitters from the US (which are kinda pricey IMO).
Think i will mail them and see if i can bargain a discount for a set, since I've ordered a lot of stuff over the years and probably will order a double pedal as well with 4 splitters.

Thinking of that; i use an Iron Cobra with the wood beaters on acoustic kits, but would this work on the Strike bass pad? Isn't wood too hard? Should i get special rubbers beaters so save the mesh head?

Offline Iggford

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2018, 12:45:13 PM »
Thinking of that; i use an Iron Cobra with the wood beaters on acoustic kits, but would this work on the Strike bass pad? Isn't wood too hard? Should i get special rubbers beaters so save the mesh head?

I'm not sure about wood, but the pedal I have has hard plastic on one side and felt on the other.  I know felt is no good for a mesh head, as it will burn a hole in it eventually.  The plastic seems to work just fine.  It is a hard plastic, but I don't know if there would be a different reaction to the wood beater.

--
Shawn.