Author Topic: Cables inside the rack  (Read 2788 times)

Offline Dobly

Cables inside the rack
« on: November 15, 2018, 04:26:46 PM »

After weeks of cutting wire, stripping, tinning and soldering I have finally finished rewiring my DM10X rack to do away with the cable snake forever.

I have dozens of photos of this project. In a few days I'll add a new post to the DIY forum.

This project is not that technically difficult. If you can solder, you can do this. But it took me weeks and weeks, a bit here and a bit there.

Re: Cables inside the rack
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 04:00:14 AM »
I am so jealous. As a retired electrician I really hate to see wires anywhere and I have gone to a lot of pain to keep the wires on my Commander out of site. However I am 70 years old and yesterday I took my set apart and rebuilt it to make the frame stronger. I finally figured out the proper way to build the frame. It took me a couple of hours and wore me out (I have emphysema and arthritis) so the idea of rewiring the set like you have is very appealing but totally out of the question for me. But you did a very nice job. I am very impressed. Please post some more photos and torture me even more.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 05:31:21 AM »
I am so jealous. As a retired electrician I really hate to see wires anywhere and I have gone to a lot of pain to keep the wires on my Commander out of site. However I am 70 years old and yesterday I took my set apart and rebuilt it to make the frame stronger. I finally figured out the proper way to build the frame. It took me a couple of hours and wore me out (I have emphysema and arthritis) so the idea of rewiring the set like you have is very appealing but totally out of the question for me. But you did a very nice job. I am very impressed. Please post some more photos and torture me even more.

Thanks Seiler.. I hate the wires too. It pained me to run cables right up the cymbal arms to plug in the crashes.

You can see on rack at the front right corner 2 more plugs. They are for a ride cymbal that I don't currently have. The one that came with the DM10X was utter rubbish. So I am going to buy or MAKE one worthy of the kits. In the mean time I use a Zildijian 21" K Dark ride. It had better be a darn good e'ride to out the Dark ride.. :)

The D-Sub 37 connectors were the toughest. I could not do them at night regardless of the lighting. I only did those during the day on the weekends.

Offline stylazyn

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 12:01:55 PM »
Is it easy to unplug for moving (i.e. gigging)?

Offline Dobly

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 07:22:31 PM »
Is it easy to unplug for moving (i.e. gigging)?

Yes, very. The plugs push on and each have to long nuts either side to secure them. There is not a great deal of time saving when plugging in the kit. A minute or so. But the upgrade is very worth it for the look of the kit. Even if it took longer to set up I would still prefer it.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 07:42:21 PM »
Seiler Bird

Here are some of the torture photos you asked for. :)

This next photo was the most important in the entire build. I referred to it constantly..

The image is shows the plugs on my Drumit3 module. The cable were color coded every step of the way.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 07:44:39 PM by Dobly »

Offline stylazyn

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 07:48:39 PM »
Very nice work. You have some serious patience.

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 03:38:00 AM »
Very impressive. It would be nice to be young and have that much energy. I tip my hat to you.

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 07:27:17 AM »
That is awesome.  Very nice.

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 01:57:53 PM »
You never cease to amaze! Bravo!
Alesis DM10X Mesh - Laurin Drums & Cymbals - Strike Module
Dartanbeck.com Digital Artist