Author Topic: DRUM WORKSHOP JOINS ROLAND CORPORATION  (Read 1244 times)

Offline Chaser

DRUM WORKSHOP JOINS ROLAND CORPORATION
« on: September 11, 2022, 11:13:17 PM »
Guess what Roland and DW Drums announced during their 50th Anniversaries......(1972)

Roland Corporation welcomes Drum Workshop , Inc to their family of brands

Roland Corporation (est 1972) and Drum Workshop, Inc. (est 1972) today announced a definitive agreement for Roland to acquire all outstanding shares of Drum Workshop...Hamamatsu, Japan, and Oxnard, CA, September 12, 2022

DRUM WORKSHOP JOINS ROLAND CORPORATION
Combining two of the world's best acoustic and electronic drum companies to focus on delivering new innovation for drummers; Drum Workshop will operate as a standalone unit with pioneering founders retaining leadership positions

About Roland Corporation
For 50 years, Roland's innovative electronic musical instruments and multimedia products have fueled inspiration in artists and creators around the world. Embraced by hobbyists and professionals alike, the company's trendsetting gear spans multiple categories, from pianos, synthesizers, guitar products, and electronic percussion to DJ controllers, audio/video solutions, livestreaming products, and more. As technology evolves, Roland continues to lead the way for gigging musicians, producers, and beatmakers, providing modern software-based solutions and seamless creative workflows between hardware products, computers, and mobile devices. For more information, visit Roland.com.

About Drum Workshop
Founded in 1972, Drum Workshop, Inc. is widely recognized as the global leader in designing and manufacturing award-winning musical instruments including drums, pedals, hardware and accessories.  Drum Workshop manufactures, markets and distributes an iconic portfolio of brands including DW Drums and Hardware, PDP, Gretsch Drums, Latin Percussion, and Slingerland. Drum Workshop's wide range of products have earned their reputation as The Drummer's Choice and are endorsed by many of the world's top artists including Dave Grohl, Phil Collins, Chad Smith, Mick Fleetwood, and Sheila E., among others. Drum Workshop, Inc. is headquartered in Oxnard, California. For more information, visit DWDrums.com.

https://www.roland.com/RolandComSite/media/global/release/pdf/2022/20220912_1_Drum_Workshop.pdf

https://www.dwdrums.com/roland

"All eyes now are on the future of DW's e-drum plans, with the American company?s initial alliance with GEWA scrapped.
It is expected that Roland will take over the much-anticipated DWe project."

Digital Drummer:Roland buys DW

I wonder if the http://www.dwelectronics.com/ site will now be finished ("Coming Soon"..Since 2018..lol) and list all the DWe Hardware..

EDIT:
Added Links
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 02:02:34 AM by Chaser »

Offline ChrisK

Re: DRUM WORKSHOP JOINS ROLAND CORPORATION
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2022, 02:59:31 AM »
More:
https://www.marketscreener.com/quote/stock/ROLAND-CORPORATION-6493102/news/Roland-Notice-Regarding-the-Acquisition-of-the-Shares-of-Drum-Workshop-Inc-Consolidation-as-a-W-41747947/?fbclid=IwAR0WyvHAeQt3bfY7KI461Y7CtuFtdHLbo3yU7krGgXRbTq2xZuVS30XH5aA

From what I know about DW edrum that was developed before started in 2018, I know very little, the new product is to be unique\game changer, let's see how this will end up, with DW tag Roland price was for the rich, now for the rich and famous.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 03:01:18 AM by ChrisK »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2022, 08:12:32 AM »
Thanks for posting! That is interesting news. I've heard rumblings of a DW electronic kit going back 10 years now. Honestly, I don't think this means anything for those mythical DW edrums. I'm guessing Roland acquire them for their acoustic drums. That's the way Roland make it sound based on there own info:

"DRUM WORKSHOP JOINS ROLAND CORPORATION
Combining two of the world's best acoustic and electronic drum companies to focus on delivering new innovation for drummers; Drum Workshop will operate as a standalone unit with pioneering founders retaining leadership positions"

Maybe I can see Roland using DW hardware for some of their vdrum line, but I really don't see the DW name being used on edrums at this point.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2022, 06:41:41 PM »
Thanks for posting! That is interesting news. I've heard rumblings of a DW electronic kit going back 10 years now. Honestly, I don't think this means anything for those mythical DW edrums. I'm guessing Roland acquire them for their acoustic drums. That's the way Roland make it sound based on there own info:

"DRUM WORKSHOP JOINS ROLAND CORPORATION
Combining two of the world's best acoustic and electronic drum companies to focus on delivering new innovation for drummers; Drum Workshop will operate as a standalone unit with pioneering founders retaining leadership positions"

Maybe I can see Roland using DW hardware for some of their vdrum line, but I really don't see the DW name being used on edrums at this point.

I think there may be more to the purchase other than the interest in Acoustic drums.
I found it interesting DW will act as standalone...but no mention of DWe although DW did release a short Video about DW/Roland and there is a brief mention (:50) ...."Adding Technology to Craftsmanship" and there are a few statements like this one "We are buying game-changing technology that allows us to accelerate the introduction of the next-generation of hybrid drums" in the "Acquisition of Drum Workshop.PDF" ...released by Roland (basically a "Dear Shareholder..here's what we spent $65 million cash for")

DW filed for the DWe trademark 2016-2021..also MARK MORALEZ filed for (2) patents in Jan 2021..publications July 2021 for Electronic Musical Instruments And Systems and Electronic Cymbal Instruments And Systems ...multiple sensors (pressure sensors for heads,continuous controller sensors on cymbals,FSR) Wireless (Bluetooth/FSK) Drums and Cymbals,wireless hub/transceivers..1ms  etc etc....with REMOVABLE ELECTRONICS..so you can go from "Electronic Mode" to Acoustic and back.

ELECTRONIC MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS AND SYSTEMS

Publication number: 20210225338 17/153819
Filed: January 20, 2021
Publication date: July 22, 2021

This disclosure relates generally to electronic musical instruments, systems, and methods. More particularly, this disclosure relates to electronic percussion instruments such as tom toms, snare drums, bass drums, cymbals, and hi-hats, and assemblies of instruments (e.g., percussion instruments), such as drum sets. Even more particularly, this disclosure relates to wireless electronic percussion instruments, and percussion instruments with interchangeable and/or removable components to change the instrument between a traditional percussion instrument (that relies on resonance and/or vibration to produce sound) and an electronic percussion instrument. The present disclosure also relates to electronic cymbal instruments, such as cymbal assemblies and hi-hat assemblies, that can be used in conjunction with a traditional acoustic metal cymbal.

ELECTRONIC CYMBAL INSTRUMENTS AND SYSTEMS

Publication number: 20210225346 17/153824
Filed: January 20, 2021
Publication date: July 22, 2021

This disclosure relates generally to electronic musical instruments, systems, and methods. More particularly, this disclosure relates to electronic percussion instruments such as tom toms, snare drums, bass drums, cymbals, and hi-hats, and assemblies of instruments (e.g., percussion instruments), such as drum sets. Even more particularly, this disclosure relates to wireless electronic percussion instruments, and percussion instruments with interchangeable and/or removable components to change the instrument between a traditional percussion instrument (that relies on resonance and/or vibration to produce sound) and an electronic percussion instrument. The present disclosure also relates to electronic cymbal instruments, such as cymbal assemblies and hi-hat assemblies, that can be used in conjunction with a traditional acoustic metal cymbal.

July 22, 2021

United States Patent Application
Application Number                     Patent Title
20210225338      Electronic Musical Instruments And Systems

United States Patent Application
Application Number                     Patent Title   
20210225346      Electronic Cymbal Instruments And Systems 

I also noticed..
20210225338 17/153819 Current Status: Final Rejection Mailed - 08/25/2022
20210225346 17/153824 Current Status: Docketed New Case - Ready for Examination - 08/22/2021

some excerpt's that will get peoples attention....If I come across the illustrations etc I'll post them.

Under 20210225338

1. A drum, comprising: a drum shell having an inner wall; and an electronics portion within said inner wall, said electronics portion attached to said drum shell, said electronics portion comprising: a power source; one or more sensors, each of said sensors configured to, upon an actuation of said drum, produce a sensor impulse; a circuit for accepting sensor impulses from said one or more sensors; and a transmitter for sending instrument signals based upon said sensor impulses.

2. The drum of claim 1, wherein said transmitter and said circuit are on a circuit board, wherein said circuit produces said instrument signals in response to said sensor impulses, and wherein said power source powers said transmitter.

3-6. (canceled)

7. The drum of claim 1, wherein said electronics portion is detachable from said drum shell and removable from said drum.

26. A electronic musical instrument system, comprising: a hub; and one or more musical instruments, each of said musical instruments comprising: a sensor; an electronic; and a power source powering said electronic; wherein said sensor is configured to produce an impulse in response to an actuation of said musical instrument; and wherein said electronic is configured to accept said impulse from said sensor and, in response to said impulse, wirelessly transmit a signal to said hub.

[0038] In some embodiments of the present disclosure, a single hub is used to receive signals from multiple electronic instruments, and thus produce sounds (through one or more sound sources) from each of those instruments. For instance, a single hub can be used to receive signals from the various instruments of a drum set, such as 1) a snare drum, 2) one or more toms, 3) a bass drum, 4) a cymbal, and 5) a hi-hat...

Snare Drum

[0049] FIG. 3 shows a snare drum 300 (with the top drumhead removed for viewing purposes) that can incorporate the above-described wireless technology, electronics, and/or interchangeability concepts. The drum 300 includes a trigger platform 302. The trigger platform 302 can include a plurality of arms 304 or another type of support structure, and an electronics portion, electronics module, and/or trigger box 500 (shown by itself in FIGS. 5A-5F, and hereinafter referred to as an "electronics portion" for simplicity).

[0050] The electronics portion 500 can be below the top drumhead and/or approximately in the center of the drum 300, and/or be connected to the drum body by the arms 304 and/or other components, such as the brackets 320 (which will be discussed in further detail below). The electronics portion 500 can include multiple connection holes 508 (some of which are not in use in FIG. 3) so as to be able to accommodate various different shell and/or lug configurations. The trigger platform 302 and the components thereof, such as the arms 304 and the body of the electronics portion 500, can be made of the same material or a multitude of materials, such as but not limited to plastic, metal (e.g., aluminum), wood, and/or other materials as known in the art.

[0051] The drum 300 can include brackets 320. The brackets 320 can be attached to an inner wall of the drum 300. Each bracket 320 can connect to one of the arms 304 of the trigger platform 302, as shown, such as using drum screws 306 and/or other connectors. The brackets 320 can have an adjustable height with respect to the inner wall of the drum 300, which can make the drum 300 adaptable to different components. For instance, as shown in FIG. 3, when the screws 322 are loosened the brackets 320 can be moved up or down before the screws 322 are again placed through the height apertures 324.

[0052] In FIG. 3, a relatively quiet drumhead (e.g., a PET drumhead) could be placed on the drum 300 as shown, and the drum 300 would be in electronic mode. Alternatively, a user could remove the trigger platform 302 by unscrewing the connectors 306 and pulling the trigger platform 302 out from the inside of the drum, and then connecting an acoustic drumhead (e.g., a Mylar and/or plastic drum head) to the sidewall of the drum 300. The drum 300 can include all components of a traditional drum, such as drum lugs, tensioning screws, etc., so as to be fully operational as a traditional drum when a traditional drumhead is installed. It is understood that an acoustic drumhead could also be used in conjunction with the electronic components and/or when the drum 300 is in electronic mode.

[0053] In some embodiments, instead of or in addition to arms 304, a support structure such as a circular support structure (e.g., a plate or disc) can be used (e.g., as part of a trigger tray), which can connect to the inner drum shell wall and/or to other components such as the brackets 320. For instance, FIGS. 4A and 4B (with equivalent reference numerals used for substantially equivalent or equivalent structures) show a drum 400 including a support structure 412 which can be circular and can operate similarly to the arms 304 from the drum 300. The support structure 412 can include arms 414 and an outer ring 416, which can enhance stability as well as ease of installation and removal. Instead of individual arms 304 connecting to the brackets 320, the single support structure 412/outer ring 416 connects to multiple brackets 320. Other support structure designs are possible, including but not limited to solid circular support structures.

[0054] It is understood that while the above interchangeability concepts have been described with regard to the snare drums 300,400, they could be applied to other instruments, such as but not limited to tom toms and bass drums (such as the bass drum 600 shown in FIGS. 6A-6C and described below).

Under 20210225346

45. A cymbal assembly, comprising: a striking portion; and an electronics portion under said striking portion, said electronics portion comprising: one or more FS sensors for recognizing a user moving edges of said striking portion and said electronics portion closer together, and producing a sensor impulse in response thereto; and an electronic for accepting sensor impulses from said one or more FS sensors.

46. The cymbal assembly of claim 45, wherein said one or more FS sensors are around a top edge of said electronics portion.

47. The cymbal assembly of claim 46, wherein said one or more FS sensors are around 300.degree. or more of said top edge of said electronics portion.

48. The cymbal assembly of claim 45, wherein said one or more FS sensors are continuous controller sensors.

49. The cymbal assembly of claim 45, wherein said one or more FS sensors comprises a single FSR sensor around 300.degree. or more of a top edge of said electronics portion.

EDIT:
Added Links

EDIT#2:
I found the patent pdf's

US20210225346A1

US20210225338A1
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 11:27:14 PM by Chaser »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2022, 11:02:13 PM »
I think there may be more to the purchase other than the interest in Acoustic drums.

Possibly, but at least in the short term it sounds as if Roland is pushing the Acoustic/hardware aspect of the deal. It's one of the first things Roland points out about the deal. The order in the way things tend to be mentioned (with acquisitions like this) end up being the most meaningful. That just based on my experience.

I found it interesting DW will act as standalone...but no mention of DWe although DW did release a short Video about DW/Roland and there is a brief mention (:50) ...."Adding Technology to Craftsmanship" and there are a few statements like this one "We are buying game-changing technology that allows us to accelerate the introduction of the next-generation of hybrid drums" in the "Acquisition of Drum Workshop.PDF" ...released by Roland (basically a "Dear Shareholder..here's what we spent $65 million cash for")

Act as a standalone company. Okay, Simmons is operated like a standalone company from Guitar Center.

If hybrid drums were the next big thing Ddrum should be going gang busters by now.

I really don't like the term "game changing technology" anymore. It is so over used and normally used for incremental advancements at that.

DW filed for the DWe trademark 2016-2021..also MARK MORALEZ filed for (2) patents in Jan 2021..publications July 2021 for Electronic Musical Instruments And Systems and Electronic Cymbal Instruments And Systems ...multiple sensors (pressure sensors for heads,continuous controller sensors on cymbals,FSR) Wireless (Bluetooth/FSK) Drums and Cymbals,wireless hub/transceivers..1ms  etc etc....with REMOVABLE ELECTRONICS..so you can go from "Electronic Mode" to Acoustic and back.

Patents don't always mean a product is coming. And to be honest I'm not seeing anything all that ground breaking.

The 1ms looks to by the latency between the hub and transceivers. That is slightly impressive, but at the end of the day that doesn't mean all the much to the end user. Multiple sensors, FSRs and removable electronics have been out there for at least two decades (if not longer).

Time will tell what this means to the edrum community at large, but I'm not holding my breath.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2022, 11:16:09 PM »
I agree...lots of Hype....I remember the Tru-Trac heads...and NFUZD
I found and was adding the Patent pdf's links  during your post...not exactly what I was expecting for "removable electronics" and Electronic mode to Acoustic which read like a simple procedure "change the instrument between a traditional percussion instrument and an electronic percussion instrument. and cymbal assemblies and hi-hat assemblies, that can be used in conjunction with a traditional acoustic metal cymbal"....unless I am missing something

"This disclosure relates generally to electronic musical instruments, systems, and methods. More particularly, this disclosure relates to electronic percussion instruments such as tom toms, snare drums, bass drums, cymbals, and hi-hats, and assemblies of instruments (e.g., percussion instruments), such as drum sets. Even more particularly, this disclosure relates to wireless electronic percussion instruments, and percussion instruments with interchangeable and/or removable components to change the instrument between a traditional percussion instrument (that relies on resonance and/or vibration to produce sound) and an electronic percussion instrument. The present disclosure also relates to electronic cymbal instruments, such as cymbal assemblies and hi-hat assemblies, that can be used in conjunction with a traditional acoustic metal cymbal."

US20210225346A1

US20210225338A1

EDIT:
Fixed bad link

I seen Paul Piscoi (Romania) is also listed in the patent app as an inventor,sounded familiar but couldn't remember why..he was the inventor of Versatrigger...so the wireless tech is nothing new..
The Versatrigger site has all the main info removed just some contact/support info , info is in the Internet Archives.
Occasionally you can still pick up a set on Reverb etc..I know someone who just gave a set away..I sold a basic set on Craigslist last year.
You had to use their software as it created a Virtual MIDI hub and for Windows you needed an ASIO driver...ASIO4ALL

Versatrigger_Manual_1.2
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 04:08:05 PM by Chaser »

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2022, 12:54:20 PM »
The product should be show soon, according to them and Roland where impressed, but the affiliation with Roland is very recent, things might change once Roland are in the legs we all know them as been conservative.

-Ddrum are doing something new that they promised it will be something special.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 12:57:45 PM by ChrisK »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2022, 01:56:57 PM »
The product should be show soon, according to them and Roland where impressed, but the affiliation with Roland is very recent, things might change once Roland are in the legs we all know them as been conservative.

Well, based on patent filings it looks to be just the wireless system. Again, I don't know how groundbreaking it really is. Unless there is something that's not documented (which is possible).

Again, Ddrum (like DW) has always had that "something new" coming for a while now (for something like 10 years).

I just don't see the hybrid market taking off like others seem to think. The idea of hybrid drums is a very old idea and like I stated earlier, shouldn't Ddrum be the number one leader in this category?

The problem with hybrid drums is it's a very specific use case. Edrums is already a niche market. Hybrid is a niche of a niche.

It takes a good amount of time to tune a good acoustic drum kit. These drummers are not going to like converting their drums between home use and gig use. Most of these drummer don't really want to use their edrums playing out anyway. So, edrums have become nothing more than practice tools for these type of drummers. That's why the mid range level of edrums is so popular. These mid range edrums are just good enough for that practice tool.

Now if you try to make this hybrid kit, these same drummers will demand a level of quality in both the electronic and acoustic aspects of the kit that will not be very cost effective.

Again, this is just more of the search for the "perfect" acoustic emulation trap that most drummers fall into when they first sit down at an electronic drum kit. Which IMHO misses the whole point of electronic percussion.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 08:34:04 AM by Hellfire »

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2022, 11:49:33 AM »

Interesting, Where did you find the info about the something special with DDRUM?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 02:27:21 PM by Mikevdrums »

Offline Chaser

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2022, 11:13:28 AM »

DW 50th Anniversary Presentation & Celebration

November 3rd,2022

Join the live stream of Drum Workshop's 50th Anniversary with a special presentation of our milestones over the past five decades and exclusive product reveals.

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2022, 04:30:34 PM »

November 3rd,2022

Join the live stream of Drum Workshop's 50th Anniversary with a special presentation of our milestones over the past five decades and exclusive product reveals.

From what I know (can't confirm the source is 100% right as today, all can change fast) DW ekit will be released as DW brand, not Roland, hence why latest Vdrum got update and new config, would make more sens to separate both. Roland bought DW for wireless/hardware for future to replace Flagship and lower slowly with Roland way.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2022, 12:05:23 AM »

November 3rd,2022

The Live Stream is a continuous one...I received an onscreen message at the end there will be no video links available until the celebration etc is over..however..I took screenshots during.
DW introduced new products including a 50th Anniversary Kit..a Kick pedal tribute to the 5000 series with a Carbon Fiber Top and introduced DWe for 2023

DWe 2023...
The Presentation had a kit on the right and as the kit was being played.. kit pieces were taken to a table at the left..head/hoop removed with a cordless drill ..replaced with electronics then set in place on the rug on the left until the kit on the right was gone and became kit on the left..Then the kit was unveiled and played on stage...no latency , machine gunning etc etc..
They also had a  someone take a snare out in front of the audience and do a snare roll battle..
"Electronics are AA powered and batteries are good for a year" ...
enjoy the pics......maybe they will release in segments and there will be links up soon

DW 50th Anniversary Presentation & Celebration video is now up

EDIT:
Updated Links
DW 50th Anniversary Presentation & Celebration Video is back online
« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 09:08:34 AM by Chaser »

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2022, 12:33:07 AM »
This is a full DW product, 0 Roland involed. You need a computer and sound card to run this, so latency depend on your setup.  But apparently you can trigs module too, the little box might have midi.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 12:37:13 PM by ChrisK »

Offline ap

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2022, 09:05:25 AM »

November 3rd,2022

From what I know (can't confirm the source is 100% right as today, all can change fast) DW ekit will be released as DW brand, not Roland, hence why latest Vdrum got update and new config, would make more sens to separate both. Roland bought DW for wireless/hardware for future to replace Flagship and lower slowly with Roland way.

I work in software development and many years ago we had developed a niche product that was so good that a larger company acquired us to:
 a) sell our product that was better than theirs, rather than developing theirs to compete
 b) eliminate us from competition during the sales cycle.

I wonder if there isn't maybe some of this going on with Roland acquiring dw?

Online Hellfire

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2022, 04:45:28 PM »
I work in software development and many years ago we had developed a niche product that was so good that a larger company acquired us to:
 a) sell our product that was better than theirs, rather than developing theirs to compete
 b) eliminate us from competition during the sales cycle.

I wonder if there isn't maybe some of this going on with Roland acquiring dw?

Possibly, but personally I think there is a little more to this.

- The guys running DW are need of a little more man power to get more things done.
- Also, I think (speculation on my part again) DW needed capital to fully release a product of this magnitude and it just happens to be a win for Roland in the categories that you mentioned.

I'm not seeing this as some kind of hustle take over of DW.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2022, 08:31:02 PM »
DW, for whatever reason removed the DWe Video (now Private)..
65drums released an informative video DW Announces Wireless Electronic Drums: The DWe Drum Set a couple hours ago.
It shows clips from the presentation,about Versatrigger and an image of the DW Soundworks plugin.

EDIT:
Added link
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 08:49:07 PM by Chaser »