Author Topic: Rack tubing sizes  (Read 1209 times)

Offline stylazyn

Rack tubing sizes
« on: December 16, 2021, 12:54:30 PM »
Hi,

I have a Surge kit and wanted to add another cymbal as I am now using a Strike brain. I bought a clamp and boom off eBay but when I assembled, the boom was too big for the mount (but not by much), so I need a bigger mount to hold the boom, and am guessing a Strike mount is what I need. However, before I do, can I? I mean, do the tube sizes for the racks differ on Alesis kits? 
Alternately, I can by a Surge boom I guess because the one I have fits the rack tubing.

Offline Chaser

Re: Rack tubing sizes
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2021, 05:22:14 PM »
Hi,

I have a Surge kit and wanted to add another cymbal as I am now using a Strike brain. I bought a clamp and boom off eBay but when I assembled, the boom was too big for the mount (but not by much), so I need a bigger mount to hold the boom, and am guessing a Strike mount is what I need. However, before I do, can I? I mean, do the tube sizes for the racks differ on Alesis kits? 
Alternately, I can by a Surge boom I guess because the one I have fits the rack tubing.

The Industry standard for rack tubing is 1.5"..
The Surge Mesh has 1.5" with capped uprights.
Alesis tubing is thinner walled than Gibraltar so the slip on rack clamps have to be spread and require more effort if used on Gibraltar tubing.
Earlier Alesis kits also had a plastic 3 pc clamp type for 1.5" rack tubes for the cymbal arm tubing, L-rods and module mounting
The Alesis Nitro and a couple other entry level kits have different diameters for the uprights and the cross bars (1-3/8" and 1-1/8") so you have to use the specific clamps that came with those kits.

There are 2 different size for the tubing for the Alesis boom/arm type..7/8" and 3/4"..they are similar in appearance so you have to watch for that.
The 7/8" were for kits that used the uprights and have a Black mount pinned ...the 3/4" were for  kits that have the uprights capped and use rack clamps.
3/4" is the same size as the L-Rod/clamp end.
The cymbal arm tubing is offered in multiple lengths.

Example:STRIKE/STRIKE Pro uses the uprights 7/8"....STRIKE Pro SE uses rack clamps 3/4"..but are nearly exact in appearance

I use the uprights/Gibraltar mounts as they clamp in/adjust to the tubing,one comes with adapters for different tubing diameters so you can use multiple manufacturers etc without worrying about it.

EDIT:
Added pics
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 05:26:08 PM by Chaser »

Offline stylazyn

Re: Rack tubing sizes
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2021, 11:54:50 AM »
Great info. Thank you.