Author Topic: Strike module "Direct Audio Outs"  (Read 1273 times)

Offline Joker47

Strike module "Direct Audio Outs"
« on: May 06, 2021, 01:25:51 PM »
I recently upgraded my DM10 MKii Pro module for the Strike module. Really happy with it so far, but have a question I can't seem to find an answer for anywhere.

On the back of the module, below the primary outputs, are a set of "Direct Audio Outs". The manual says that "They are fixed, without any effects applied".

Out of curiosity, I plugged in my snare to the "Direct Audio Outs" snare. Nothing happened. There was no sound.

So, I have no idea how those are to be used, or what they can be used for. No where on the internet could I find anything that explained them either.

Anyone know what they are and how they can be used? Or, what they are INTENDED for?

TIA,
J
Alesis DM10 MKll Pro kit w/dual 22" kicks, Tama Iron Cobra pedals; extra 8" tom, Dual Alesis Strike modules; Strike cymbals; Zildjian L80 hi hat and 16" cymbal with Shure57 mics; two 4-channel mixers; Strike SE snare

Just for fun:
https://www.youtube.com/@jokersdrumcovers4769/abou

Offline Chaser

Re: Strike module "Direct Audio Outs"
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 01:34:31 PM »
I recently upgraded my DM10 MKii Pro module for the Strike module. Really happy with it so far, but have a question I can't seem to find an answer for anywhere.

On the back of the module, below the primary outputs, are a set of "Direct Audio Outs". The manual says that "They are fixed, without any effects applied".

Out of curiosity, I plugged in my snare to the "Direct Audio Outs" snare. Nothing happened. There was no sound.

So, I have no idea how those are to be used, or what they can be used for. No where on the internet could I find anything that explained them either.

Anyone know what they are and how they can be used? Or, what they are INTENDED for?

TIA,
J

They are Direct Outputs...Not Inputs...

"7.Direct  Audio  Outs  (1/4”/6.35  mm,  TRS  or  TS):
Connect  these  mono  outputs  to  your  external  mixer,  audio interface, etc.
The independent audio signals of these triggers will be sent out of these outputs: kick, snare, hi-hat, ride, the left and right channels for all toms, and the left and right channels for the crash cymbals.
The signal sent from these outputs is fixed and without any effects applied."

Offline Joker47

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 02:22:45 PM »

Connect  these  mono  outputs  to  your  external  mixer,  audio interface, etc.
The independent audio signals of these triggers will be sent out of these outputs: kick, snare, hi-hat, ride, the left and right channels for all toms, and the left and right channels for the crash cymbals.

Thanks Chaser.

I have a mixer on the way, so I could use that. But, I am still not sure what I could use these for? Can they be used for expansion? If so how?

I really wish there was something out there that helped explain this. :-)

J
Alesis DM10 MKll Pro kit w/dual 22" kicks, Tama Iron Cobra pedals; extra 8" tom, Dual Alesis Strike modules; Strike cymbals; Zildjian L80 hi hat and 16" cymbal with Shure57 mics; two 4-channel mixers; Strike SE snare

Just for fun:

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 04:29:16 PM »

Thanks Chaser.

I have a mixer on the way, so I could use that. But, I am still not sure what I could use these for? Can they be used for expansion? If so how?

I really wish there was something out there that helped explain this. :-)

J

They are not for expansion...they are for sending separate dry signals ...to FOH or recording..
Alesis never responded to my inquiry if they work best with certain kits...some kits in the module are Stereo
see this Topic about the STRIKE Direct Outs Summed Mono  and whether or not they are for panning instruments or placement in the Stereo Field..

Offline Storklor

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 11:10:43 AM »
Yeah, they send unprocessed signal (no FX, compression, EQ, pan, etc) from each item in your setup individually to a mixer.

Great if you’re using it in a live setting, so your sound tech can have individual control over volume, or the monitor guy can send just kick and snare to the bass player, or whatever, as if it was an acoustic kit all miced up. Cant see a valid common use for it outside of that though; if you were recording, I guess you could route the pieces and apply your processing separately if you really wanted to, but a VST would be a far easier and more flexible way to do that.

Offline Joker47

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 05:34:20 PM »
Thanks Chaser and Storklor.

From what you've both said, it sounds like something I'll probably never need or use. But, nice to know what the hell it is....LOL

Thanks again for your replies and info.  :)

J

Just for fun: