Author Topic: USB Driver Error for Command X module  (Read 2020 times)

USB Driver Error for Command X module
« on: December 04, 2020, 02:36:42 AM »
Hello everybody, I just purchased my first e-drum kit, a Alesis Command X. I've dissatisfied with the default kits and I purchased a sample pack to upload to the module. I formatted a USB drive to FAT32, but when I insert it into the module, I get an USB DRIVE ERROR! PRESS EXIT TO CONTINUE! I've done multiple quick formats and a long full format, with no dice. I tried to use another FAT32 formatted USB drive which the module did not even acknowledge. There is no information I could find online and I've already tried emailing Alesis support. Is my module bricked or is there something I'm not doing correctly?

Offline Chaser

Re: USB Driver Error for Command X module
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 10:20:19 AM »
Hello everybody, I just purchased my first e-drum kit, a Alesis Command X. I've dissatisfied with the default kits and I purchased a sample pack to upload to the module. I formatted a USB drive to FAT32, but when I insert it into the module, I get an USB DRIVE ERROR! PRESS EXIT TO CONTINUE! I've done multiple quick formats and a long full format, with no dice. I tried to use another FAT32 formatted USB drive which the module did not even acknowledge. There is no information I could find online and I've already tried emailing Alesis support. Is my module bricked or is there something I'm not doing correctly?

The Command module is based off the Medeli DD650
I have always used guiformat without issues including large drives/sdcards.There is a 32 bit and 64 bit version.

After formatting insert USB stick/thumbdrive into the module..power on you should see "USB Processing"..
To format a connected USB flash drive:
1.Press Kit to enter the Kit Selection page (if you are not already viewing it).
2.Press Menu to enter the Kit Menu.
3.Use the Down and Up buttons to select USB Memory, and then press Enter.
4.Use the Down and Up buttons to select Format, and then press Enter.
5.The display will show The USB memory will be erased! Enter or Exit?
To format the drive (which will also erase its contents), press Enter. To cancel formatting, press Exit.
The module will then format/create all the proper folders.

Each sample must be a 16-bit mono WAV file with a maximum size of 15 MB....(15MB TOTAL PER KIT)
It can have a sampling rate of 48, 44.1, 32, 22.05, or 11.025 kHz.

Note: Samples  that  you  have  loaded  to  the  drum  module  can  only  be  deleted  all  at  once.
In  other  words,  if  you  have  loaded  multiple  samples  into  a  kit  (or  to  multiple  kits),  you  cannot  delete only one of your samples; you must delete all of them.

EDIT:
Added Command Drum Module User Guide v1.3 link as small file couldn't be attached/error (2.51 MB (2,635,431 bytes))
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 10:37:05 AM by Chaser »

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 02:24:23 PM »
Yeah I figured as much it's a relatively easy process to upload samples. Unfortunately even with guiformat I'm still not able to get pass the USB DRIVER ERROR. I can't even format it through the module since I get an error before that point. My USB drives I've used works perfectly fine otherwise on computers.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 02:46:50 PM by vroomvroom5.0 »

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 02:53:03 PM »
Yeah I figured as much it's a relatively easy process to upload samples. Unfortunately even with guiformat I'm still not able to get pass the USB DRIVER ERROR. I can't even format it through the module since I get an error before that point. My USB drives I've used works perfectly fine otherwise on computers.

According to the medeli DD650 Manual there are a couple USB errors
NO USB MEMORY !...USB flash drive is not recognized
USB DRIVE ERROR !PRESS EXIT TO CONTINUE ...The USB flash drive can’t be recognized or the object was plugged in the USB MEMORY port caused short-circuit

Try a Factory restore on the module...see if that helps

You can restore the factory reset by following steps:
Hold the [<] and [>] buttons down simultaneously while powering on Until the LCD displays “FactoryResetting...”.
After the reset operation, the module will return to the KIT MENU.

EDIT:
If that doesn't work..I forgot to ask...USB 2.0 or 3.0 drives?
The "object was plugged in the USB MEMORY port caused short-circuit" in the troubleshooting is concerning...

« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 03:32:06 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 03:59:18 PM »
Tried factory restore, no dice. One is a USB 3.0 drive, other is unknown. However, I found and used my 3D Printer USB drive and that one seems to work fine. It's more like an micro-SD to USB adapter if anything. I wonder if I just had a bad set of drives for the module. Anyways, thank you for your assistance!

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 04:13:02 PM »
Tried factory restore, no dice. One is a USB 3.0 drive, other is unknown. However, I found and used my 3D Printer USB drive and that one seems to work fine. It's more like an micro-SD to USB adapter if anything. I wonder if I just had a bad set of drives for the module. Anyways, thank you for your assistance!

USB Drives can be a cr*p shoot these days with so many knockoffs from China...
If you have any trouble with samples/format errors use the Alesis SampleConverter Utility v1.1.5.It's drag n drop and under the SamplePad Pro downloads

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2020, 04:21:37 PM »
That's actually a super useful program, thank you again! This might be off-topic, but would you happen to know if I can upload soft hit samples and hard hit samples to the same pad? Or is it just one generic sound for the whole pad to be played/mixed with velocity.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2020, 04:34:59 PM »
That's actually a super useful program, thank you again! This might be off-topic, but would you happen to know if I can upload soft hit samples and hard hit samples to the same pad? Or is it just one generic sound for the whole pad to be played/mixed with velocity.

Just one sample...if you have a soft and a hard sample from the same instrument/drum you can try using a simple program like Audacity..import the 2 samples and mix down to one then export the wav.depending on how the samples line up sometimes it works...sometimes not so well and you get phasing.
For experimenting Voice stacking see this post...you would need one 5 pin MIDI cable..

COMMAND/CRIMSON/II/DM10 MKII Studio/FORGE/NITRO/SURGE-Instrument/Voice Stacking

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2021, 10:16:59 PM »
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but the command module only accepts 64gig and under usb sticks, formatted to the fat32 file system.