Author Topic: STRIKE Module Firmware /Editor Updates  (Read 29648 times)

Offline Purpledc

Re: STRIKE Module Firmware /Editor Updates
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2018, 07:05:49 AM »
I have only been playing edrums since nov.  I have only dabbled in drums previously.  I was a 25 year guitarist who was always a closet drummer at heart.  I practiced on pillows and random crap but never bought a kit. So I understood the mechanics before I actually touched a drum set.  But as a guitarist I did a lot of modding  in that hobby.  And I am finding much of the equipment is actually the same just repurposed.  Its kinda like learning a new language that is really similar to old one you all ready know. You just need the things to connect the dots. 

Its actually a curse, because my understanding of the topic is greater than my knowledge of the technical terms associated with it.  People discredit me as not knowing much when they hear I haven't been playing long especially when I don't know a key term.  I only know its definition.  Ive always been that way.  I can show you how to get somewhere, but Im horrible at telling you.  Leads me to be very verbose.

I hope you didn't get the impression I was trying to discredit you. That wasn't my intent. You seem very knowledgable about edrums and I was a little surprised by your surprise of the difference in the GoEdrum controller (meaning you seem like you know a lot about this stuff already). Edrums need more people like you who are willing to dig in and point out what's going on with this stuff. Please don't stop.

Its interesting that you say the ohms might be different.  Its promising yet also troubling.  Because I saw a circuit board, a tape type wiring harness and that plate. I didnt see any easily swappable part.  But If its possible I would love to figure that out.  Because those variety of semi open tones are there I just need to figure a way to access them.  I too was not happy with the performance of the top cymbal.  I was expending too much energy for the type of music I was trying to play on the edge.  But I didnt really get great semi open sounds with that either.  Well thanks a bunch.  At least now I know which direction i need to head in.

I'm just glad we have the option of the GoEdrum controller out there. It still may not be perfect, but some of issues with hi-hat control might be the programing within the Strike module itself. Alesis hasn't had much experience with variable hi-hat operation.

You may have better success modifying the GoEdrum controller. Those slide pot are quite common and I sure there are other ohm value slides that would fit inside the GoEdrum itself.  Or you could just make your own. Attaching a slide pot to the hi-hat pedal of a standard stand isn't that difficult if you are handy. Just match the wiring of the GoEdrum controller.

Well looks like I found a happy medium.  My VH10 works fine now.  I don't get as many semi open sounds as I would like but I did find adjustments that made it much more playable and my ability to hit what semi open sounds are there more easier to hit.  What I found interesting about the stock hi hat controller was the lack of components.  The whole hi hat controller seems simply be a pressure plate on a circuit board.  No resistors or capacitors. 

Offline Chaser

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2018, 08:59:54 PM »
Well looks like I found a happy medium.  My VH10 works fine now.  I don't get as many semi open sounds as I would like but I did find adjustments that made it much more playable and my ability to hit what semi open sounds are there more easier to hit.

Have you tried log curves for the pedal curve? I see where it is recommended for more semi-open sounds.
You could also try adding/moving some semi-open sounds to a different velocity range in the Editor.
There are 4 levels of open...you have the option of not using 2 levels of open..

I have read more than one complaint about an a muting issue with the edge/bow. The bow,edge and foot are in the typical mute group.I don't think there is any control with muting.There have also been quite a few complaints about v1.4 and Hi Hats other than the Strike not working very well and users are reverting back to v1.3 and keeping the v1.4 content.
I still have the module off the kit so I haven't had a chance to compare v1.3 with v1.4 and see if one works better than the other to get a more fluid hi hat with the new hi hat parameter setup (offset/foot sens/pedal and velocity curves etc.)

EDIT:
I took the time and measured the resistance for the STRIKE controller and it is similar to the REALHAT pedal.
The reason the other Hi Hats are having problems now with v1.4 is maybe the range has changed to better accommodate the STRIKE controller.(speculation) and the Hi Hats are out of range as most including the GOedrum are 20kOhms fully open.

I added more information to the STRIKE/ Hi Hat controllers thread

EDIT 8/3:
I had forgotten that when I got the STRIKE (Pro-X bottom)Hi Hat over a year ago that I had placed a spacer in the housing to get it to the 90kOhm that matched the RealHat pedal.
The controller/FSR is a stacked spacer/wafer/sandwich design and when pressure is removed will go up..200..300..400 ..1Mohm.. "infinite" .
Patent pdf has been added to the HiHat controllers thread

« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 09:45:48 PM by Chaser »

Online ChrisK

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2018, 03:09:36 PM »
The reason the other Hi Hats are having problems now with v1.4 is maybe the range has changed to better accommodate the STRIKE controller.(speculation) and the Hi Hats are out of range as most including the GOedrum are 20kOhms fully open.The STRIKE controller is closer to 90. 

It's not a speculation, module are made to be compatible with their own gear at full potential, there is no where advertising, that are compatible with others brand, each trigger have their own construction design, latency, piezo, controller,  I am talking about 100% precision triggers, not 70%. Strike and Roland are not built to get most of all trigger on the market with specific algo and precise triggering, if you are using 3rd party cymbal like Jobeky, Feild, Stealth, Surge etc. these use piezo piezo switch on ride, they will never get accurate triggering with only threshold option for example.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 12:24:07 AM by ChrisK »

Offline Purpledc

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2018, 06:25:49 PM »
Well looks like I found a happy medium.  My VH10 works fine now.  I don't get as many semi open sounds as I would like but I did find adjustments that made it much more playable and my ability to hit what semi open sounds are there more easier to hit.

Have you tried log curves for the pedal curve? I see where it is recommended for more semi-open sounds.
You could also try adding/moving some semi-open sounds to a different velocity range in the Editor.
There are 4 levels of open...you have the option of not using 2 levels of open..

I have read more than one complaint about an a muting issue with the edge/bow. The bow,edge and foot are in the typical mute group.I don't think there is any control with muting.There have also been quite a few complaints about v1.4 and Hi Hats other than the Strike not working very well and users are reverting back to v1.3 and keeping the v1.4 content.
I still have the module off the kit so I haven't had a chance to compare v1.3 with v1.4 and see if one works better than the other to get a more fluid hi hat with the new hi hat parameter setup (offset/foot sens/pedal and velocity curves etc.)

EDIT:
I took the time and measured the resistance for the STRIKE controller and it is similar to the REALHAT pedal.
The reason the other Hi Hats are having problems now with v1.4 is maybe the range has changed to better accommodate the STRIKE controller.(speculation) and the Hi Hats are out of range as most including the GOedrum are 20kOhms fully open.The STRIKE controller is closer to 90. 

My module is messed up.  No matter what Hi hat I use I cant use any of the Log curves or else my hi hat wont reset to open.  The second I touch the pedal it wont return to full open. So I get semi open and closed sounds and thats it.  I tried to talk to alesis about it and the tech I spoke with is insisting I try their new awesome improved spring that has nothing to do with my ability to get an open sound.    Its their automatic hi hat calibration software they have running in the background. As soon as that kicks in it all goes to pot. And this happens with 3 different hi hat  set ups including the stock unit.  But the spring thing I just cant get over.  I get a chick. I get a fully closed sound.  Both of which the spring would help.  But the fact it wont return to open has nothing to do with that.  So they are making me wait until I try that.

But I found a way to get it to work properly in linear curve for the pedal so Im happy anyways.  But this update I am 100% sold on.   The kits I am making and playing wouldn't even work on 1.3 with the amount of layering Im doing.    At first I thought it wouldn't load all velocity layers but it seems I was using 24 bit samples which ate up too many mb. I converted to 16bit and they work awesome.  My module even sound better now.  Tighter and more modern.  This may not appeal to some.  But I could never go back. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 06:30:25 PM by Purpledc »

Offline ironman187

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2018, 03:06:07 AM »

EDIT:

My module is messed up.  No matter what Hi hat I use I cant use any of the Log curves or else my hi hat wont reset to open.  The second I touch the pedal it wont return to full open. So I get semi open and closed sounds and thats it.  I tried to talk to alesis about it and the tech I spoke with is insisting I try their new awesome improved spring that has nothing to do with my ability to get an open sound.    Its their automatic hi hat calibration software they have running in the background. As soon as that kicks in it all goes to pot. And this happens with 3 different hi hat  set ups including the stock unit.  But the spring thing I just cant get over.  I get a chick. I get a fully closed sound.  Both of which the spring would help.  But the fact it wont return to open has nothing to do with that.  So they are making me wait until I try that.

But I found a way to get it to work properly in linear curve for the pedal so Im happy anyways.  But this update I am 100% sold on.   The kits I am making and playing wouldn't even work on 1.3 with the amount of layering Im doing.    At first I thought it wouldn't load all velocity layers but it seems I was using 24 bit samples which ate up too many mb. I converted to 16bit and they work awesome.  My module even sound better now.  Tighter and more modern.  This may not appeal to some.  But I could never go back.

Have you considered the hihat controller may be faulty?

Offline Purpledc

« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2018, 07:49:56 AM »
I have only been playing edrums since nov.  I have only dabbled in drums previously.  I was a 25 year guitarist who was always a closet drummer at heart.  I practiced on pillows and random crap but never bought a kit. So I understood the mechanics before I actually touched a drum set.  But as a guitarist I did a lot of modding  in that hobby.  And I am finding much of the equipment is actually the same just repurposed.  Its kinda like learning a new language that is really similar to old one you all ready know. You just need the things to connect the dots. 

Its actually a curse, because my understanding of the topic is greater than my knowledge of the technical terms associated with it.  People discredit me as not knowing much when they hear I haven't been playing long especially when I don't know a key term.  I only know its definition.  Ive always been that way.  I can show you how to get somewhere, but Im horrible at telling you.  Leads me to be very verbose.

I hope you didn't get the impression I was trying to discredit you. That wasn't my intent. You seem very knowledgable about edrums and I was a little surprised by your surprise of the difference in the GoEdrum controller (meaning you seem like you know a lot about this stuff already). Edrums need more people like you who are willing to dig in and point out what's going on with this stuff. Please don't stop.

Its interesting that you say the ohms might be different.  Its promising yet also troubling.  Because I saw a circuit board, a tape type wiring harness and that plate. I didnt see any easily swappable part.  But If its possible I would love to figure that out.  Because those variety of semi open tones are there I just need to figure a way to access them.  I too was not happy with the performance of the top cymbal.  I was expending too much energy for the type of music I was trying to play on the edge.  But I didnt really get great semi open sounds with that either.  Well thanks a bunch.  At least now I know which direction i need to head in.

I'm just glad we have the option of the GoEdrum controller out there. It still may not be perfect, but some of issues with hi-hat control might be the programing within the Strike module itself. Alesis hasn't had much experience with variable hi-hat operation.

You may have better success modifying the GoEdrum controller. Those slide pot are quite common and I sure there are other ohm value slides that would fit inside the GoEdrum itself.  Or you could just make your own. Attaching a slide pot to the hi-hat pedal of a standard stand isn't that difficult if you are handy. Just match the wiring of the GoEdrum controller.

NOOO! not you.  You have been really cool as has Chaser in sharing information.  I wont name the place but I have been told in some places to keep my opinions to myself and stop making long technical posts on subjects I am incapable of understanding given my lack of experience in the subject matter.  Though I keep finding myself knowing things they don't know.  And it would seem they don't believe me because they cant reconcile how I could know things they don't.  I have even been threatened with banishment If I didn't reel it in.  But no.  That's why I like this place.  I just wish there was more traffic in the strike realm.  There are things that I have to learn.  But im a diy guy through and through.  And I like solving problems.  I think I did the first plate replacement on a strike pad.  At least the first carbon fiber plate.  And I came up with a mod to inset the wire into the foam to prevent cracking plates.  I also came up with a fix to get the original hi hat working properly but I have been told others figured that out before me.  I just have a lot of time on my hands and I really love tackling things people cant seem to figure out.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 07:54:54 AM by Purpledc »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2018, 08:50:49 AM »
NOOO! not you.  You have been really cool as has Chaser in sharing information.  I wont name the place but I have been told in some places to keep my opinions to myself and stop making long technical posts on subjects I am incapable of understanding given my lack of experience in the subject matter.  Though I keep finding myself knowing things they don't know.  And it would seem they don't believe me because they cant reconcile how I could know things they don't.  I have even been threatened with banishment If I didn't reel it in.  But no.  That's why I like this place.  I just wish there was more traffic in the strike realm.  There are things that I have to learn.  But im a diy guy through and through.  And I like solving problems.  I think I did the first plate replacement on a strike pad.  At least the first carbon fiber plate.  And I came up with a mod to inset the wire into the foam to prevent cracking plates.  I also came up with a fix to get the original hi hat working properly but I have been told others figured that out before me.  I just have a lot of time on my hands and I really love tackling things people cant seem to figure out.

For what it worth, I don't want you to "reel it in". You are learning the same way I did/do and nobody is perfect. Just because someone has been doing something longer doesn't mean they will always see everything. Heck, you were the one that pointed out the true load time. I didn't even think to listen that close and I "assumed" (that can be bad and in this case it was) that Alesis wouldn't try to trick something like load times. Heck, how many people would admit publicly to be wrong (which is what I just did).

I say, your welcome here and post away. Because even people like me (been around the edrum thing a while) can still learn something from you. :)

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2018, 04:34:14 PM »
I've been off internet again for quite a spell. Just saw the new firmware update last night (video).

I don't have a Strike (yet), but am very excited about this update.

- I kinda figured (with how robust the sound library seems to be) that the new insta-load was an efficiency with loading sounds thing. While it might not load fully in an instant, being able to at least get a kit switched over in a hurry seems (to me) to be a real boon to the module.

- Hi Hat sounded awesome in the video. Is anyone here using the hats that come with the Strike? I caught that some might 'have' them, but has anyone tried dialing them in? Just curious. I'm still torn by the design of having to use two cymbals for an electronic hi hat. I love the versatility of being able to place my HH trigger pad anywhere I want regardless of the pedal - so I'm glad to hear that Chaser is reporting the RealHat having similar (same?) specs. Does anyone know if the RealHat controller works on the Strike?

- While I seriously doubt I'd ever need more sample time that what the previous firmware allowed, I thinks it's super that they lifted the cap. It just makes the whole thing that much more versatile!

- The new kits I've heard so far sound wonderful.

I'm really glad to see this thing get the love it's getting! Rock On, Alesis!
Alesis DM10X Mesh - Laurin Drums & Cymbals - Strike Module
Dartanbeck.com Digital Artist

Offline Purpledc

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2018, 06:35:54 PM »
I've been off internet again for quite a spell. Just saw the new firmware update last night (video).

- I kinda figured (with how robust the sound library seems to be) that the new insta-load was an efficiency with loading sounds thing. While it might not load fully in an instant, being able to at least get a kit switched over in a hurry seems (to me) to be a real boon to the module.

- Hi Hat sounded awesome in the video. Is anyone here using the hats that come with the Strike? I caught that some might 'have' them, but has anyone tried dialing them in? Just curious. I'm still torn by the design of having to use two cymbals for an electronic hi hat. I love the versatility of being able to place my HH trigger pad anywhere I want regardless of the pedal - so I'm glad to hear that Chaser is reporting the RealHat having similar (same?) specs. Does anyone know if the RealHat controller works on the Strike?

- While I seriously doubt I'd ever need more sample time that what the previous firmware allowed, I thinks it's super that they lifted the cap. It just makes the whole thing that much more versatile!

I have tried and tried with the stock hi hat.  Numerous times. With 1.4 its as good as it has ever been. Unfortunately I don't think its good enough.  To me the strike cymbals in general are less than optimal.  My biggest gripe being the edge responsiveness.  You simply have to hit them too hard to trigger the sensor.  In general we know that e-cymbals will trigger a bow sound if you hit the edge too lightly. But the strike cymbals its worse than most.  For crashes they are acceptable but the ride and hi hat require the player to expend way too much energy. 

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2018, 06:42:55 PM »

I have tried and tried with the stock hi hat.  Numerous times. With 1.4 its as good as it has ever been. Unfortunately I don't think its good enough.  To me the strike cymbals in general are less than optimal.  My biggest gripe being the edge responsiveness.  You simply have to hit them too hard to trigger the sensor.  In general we know that e-cymbals will trigger a bow sound if you hit the edge too lightly. But the strike cymbals its worse than most.  For crashes they are acceptable but the ride and hi hat require the player to expend way too much energy.
On my Command set it is possible to adjust the Threshold:

Threshold: The amount of force required to trigger the sound. It is under Kit>Menu>Trigger>

Offline Iggford

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2018, 11:04:25 AM »

I can confirm that the RealHat works really well with the Strike kit.  When I transport my Strike module to my DM10 practice kit, I use the RealHat pedal that came with the DM10.

However, I don't know if it works as well with the settings from the Strike's hi-hat, or even something like the GoEdrum controller.  I use a Gen16 hi-hat on my Strike at the moment, so my module is actually set up to work with the RealHat, and no other electronic option.  You can really dial it in great, and if you plan on using strictly the RealHat, I would say it's a great option!

--
Shawn

Offline Purpledc

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2018, 09:41:16 PM »

On my Command set it is possible to adjust the Threshold:

Threshold: The amount of force required to trigger the sound. It is under Kit>Menu>Trigger>

The strike has the threshold setting. But even with extremely low threshold settings the hardware itself is what is limiting its responsiveness. If you look at an old alesis cymbal and a new strike cymbal the bottoms look identical. Even the patent numbers appear to the same. And the strike hi hat seems to be identical to the Pro X hi hat except the cover. Which led me to think that when alesis decided to make the strike cymbals that they would just put thicker covers on the existing product which lowered their responsiveness.  So since they didn't change the triggering system at all they can never be even as sensitive as a previous alesis cymbal.

Offline Iggford

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2018, 11:39:49 AM »
The strike has the threshold setting. But even with extremely low threshold settings the hardware itself is what is limiting its responsiveness. If you look at an old alesis cymbal and a new strike cymbal the bottoms look identical. Even the patent numbers appear to the same. And the strike hi hat seems to be identical to the Pro X hi hat except the cover. Which led me to think that when alesis decided to make the strike cymbals that they would just put thicker covers on the existing product which lowered their responsiveness.  So since they didn't change the triggering system at all they can never be even as sensitive as a previous alesis cymbal.

So, by this logic, would I be better off using my older DM10 cymbals with my Strike kit for better responsiveness?  I kind of have an answer in my head for that question, as I use my Strike module on my DM10 practice kit from time to time.  I don't ALWAYS have issues with the Strike cymbals, but it always seems that when I need them to really ring out the most, I'll get a quiet little "ping" because I didn't hit it just right.  I haven't had this problem as much with the older cymbals.  Ironically, though, I found it to be an issue with the DM10 kit and it's own module, so it's a little puzzling.

At first, I chalked it up to just needing to get acquainted with the way the Strike cymbals play, and for the most part, I've been able to compensate.  I do like the way they look with the kit a lot better, though.  I've even played with turning them around to get a better loud response.  I haven't fully tested the dynamics that way, though.  I can usually get pretty good swells out of them, so I need spin them around again and see how that works.

--
Shawn.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2018, 03:18:45 PM »

So, by this logic, would I be better off using my older DM10 cymbals with my Strike kit for better responsiveness?  I kind of have an answer in my head for that question, as I use my Strike module on my DM10 practice kit from time to time.  I don't ALWAYS have issues with the Strike cymbals, but it always seems that when I need them to really ring out the most, I'll get a quiet little "ping" because I didn't hit it just right.  I haven't had this problem as much with the older cymbals.  Ironically, though, I found it to be an issue with the DM10 kit and it's own module, so it's a little puzzling.

At first, I chalked it up to just needing to get acquainted with the way the Strike cymbals play, and for the most part, I've been able to compensate.  I do like the way they look with the kit a lot better, though.  I've even played with turning them around to get a better loud response.  I haven't fully tested the dynamics that way, though.  I can usually get pretty good swells out of them, so I need spin them around again and see how that works.
--
Shawn.

Fwiw maybe try various trigger curve settings like Spline 2 or 3 for each cymbal as it could improve the cymbal response for lighter hits.

Also in my DM10 (Mk-I) kits I've combined some of the ride and crash sounds at various levels, although in the Strike module that could increase the kit loading time a bit.

Offline Iggford

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2018, 11:07:41 AM »
Fwiw maybe try various trigger curve settings like Spline 2 or 3 for each cymbal as it could improve the cymbal response for lighter hits.

Also in my DM10 (Mk-I) kits I've combined some of the ride and crash sounds at various levels, although in the Strike module that could increase the kit loading time a bit.

I'll try the curve settings.  I think I'm using Log1 right now, so I'll see if that makes a positive change for me.

The loading times usually don't matter too much to me, at least not so far.  They really have gotten better, though, with the newest updates, in my opinion at least.  So, it may be worth trying to combine some sounds.  Thanks!

--
Shawn.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2019, 10:05:11 AM »
NEW! Strike Performance Drum Module - Firmware and Content Update v1.5

Moved to 1st Post

« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 10:45:03 AM by Chaser »

Offline Chaser

« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2020, 10:06:54 AM »
STRIKE Editor version 1.1.3 has been released.

Change History Version 1.1.3 (March 24, 2020)
Support for macOS Catalina (version 10.15)

Note:This update is for macOS only

https://www.alesis.com/products/view2/strike-pro-kit

« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2022, 04:17:53 PM »
is the Mac editor dead forever? Been a while since they updated and doesn't work anymore with any version of Mac OS released after 2019.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2022, 05:57:32 PM »
is the Mac editor dead forever? Been a while since they updated and doesn't work anymore with any version of Mac OS released after 2019.

The majority if not all Developers fell behind during COVID...and the supply chain is a mess as I know many manufacturers behind a year or more..even Audiofront..eDRUMin 10 isn't going to be available again until Aug 2023

Alesis is currently testing for Monterey 12 and M1 which had a RAM limitation...now the M2's are out.
The rule for Music Hardware and software is never update unless you check with the Hardware/software manufacturer first...especially Apple.
I know users that the App store wouldn't open after the Monterey update.
It's been that way for years and a number of developers I know finally just dropped them.
Alesis actually didn't have mac support for years and started again around the time STRIKE was released.

EDIT:
Fixed link
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 06:44:17 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2023, 08:42:14 AM »
This to me seems to be one of the more important topics yet it's awfully quiet here. I posted this elsewhere:

Hello
Old guy with new e-drums.
I was playing around with my Strike Pro SE and was wondering how some of the sounds are programmed - like (I believe it was) EDM-38 or a few in that range of kits where there were more than one sound associated with a given pad ? zone and many of them were velocity dependent - hit softly and you have one sound, hit harder and you have another. There is also a situation where each time you hit a particular pad, the sound / melody shifts through a chord or arpeggio within a specific scale. How is all this accomplished?
And is there not a midi editor for this to do it on the computer?? I watched a guy go through this painful process of simple editing on the module and holy crap I wouldn't waste too much time doing that.