Author Topic: Super Secret Alesis DMdock drum module?  (Read 29217 times)

Offline Hellfire

Re: Super Secret Alesis DMdock drum module?
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2011, 07:20:54 PM »
You don't mean the V-drum modules with COSM, did you? Others I can think of are Drumaxx or the older DKSpro from AraldFX, both not very intuitive to users.
Nope, I don't mean Vdrum modules with COSM. They have a base sound set anyway so there are sample based. Plus I use to be a Roland Vdrum COSM module guy, so no it is not the Roland vdrum modules. None of those are it. The program I saw did not use samples and was not a synth. The guys who wrote the program had a very high level of physics and acoustics (not drums just acoustics) and his program generated a sound based on his algorithms. His drums did not sound like a synth but real acoustic drums (yet no samples were used). It worked for cymbals as well. Heck you could tell the program the type of metal the cymbal was made of and it changed the overall sound. The program worked by simulating what a resonant object sounded like base on its physical properties. The drums didn't even have to be drum shaped. The program was not perfect. I remember some people thought it still sounded a little stale or robotic but, I thought it had great potential.

Offline alieneight

« Reply #76 on: July 04, 2011, 02:53:58 PM »
That would make life so much easier, and I'd drop the 400-500$ for it. Want to calibrate a drum, just touch it on your touchscreen module.
When Irish eyes are smiling, there usually up to something.

Offline Jermdog

« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2011, 08:29:55 AM »
The Alesis website is now stating that the i/O dock for iPad/iPad2 is now available.

And... Amazon has it for $199.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 08:32:03 AM by Jermdog »
Strike Pro, Dm10, Zildjian Gen 16 hats, xhats and garbage cymbals, Kit Toys chinas, crash and splashes, jam dock, mixer, custom 13" tom, alesis, drum workshop and various hardware.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #78 on: July 06, 2011, 09:31:50 AM »
The Alesis website is now stating that the i/O dock for iPad/iPad2 is now available.

And... Amazon has it for $199.
Good news for those who have an iPad.

I wonder how long it will be before Alesis sells some kind of package deal with the I/O dock and the Trigger I/O?
(seems like a perfect match to me ;))

Offline Jermdog

« Reply #79 on: July 06, 2011, 03:09:12 PM »
How about just an app for the ipad... w/ a 30pin midi interface connector.  For a minute, I thought I was going to be asked where I was... like it's been available for months... I guess I wasn't Rip Van Winkle after all!
Strike Pro, Dm10, Zildjian Gen 16 hats, xhats and garbage cymbals, Kit Toys chinas, crash and splashes, jam dock, mixer, custom 13" tom, alesis, drum workshop and various hardware.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #80 on: July 06, 2011, 03:15:04 PM »
How about just an app for the ipad... w/ a 30pin midi interface connector.
Don't you get that with the I/O dock (minus the app)?

Offline Jermdog

« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2011, 04:20:34 PM »
That you do... I'm thinking a 30pin pig tail with 1/4 inputs/outputs and an app for the ipad/touch... much cheaper than a piece of hardware.

Or, a usb adapter to plug into the DM10 would be sweeter - once again, yes, the i/o dock has it, but why the extra hardware?

Damn those Apple license people!

Offline vaikl

« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2011, 09:15:26 PM »
Or, a usb adapter to plug into the DM10 would be sweeter - once again, yes, the i/o dock has it, but why the extra hardware?

Damn those Apple license people!

Don't damn them, look here ;D

The interesting part is in the last 2 minutes. USB devices need to be self-powered, which is the fact for the DM10. CoreMIDI since IOS 4.2 does the rest...

Offline Jermdog

« Reply #83 on: July 07, 2011, 08:37:20 AM »
Yep, I have that already... but there is limited support for MIDI USB devices using iOS, through this connector.  I may have to do some experimentation to see if it will work.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #84 on: July 07, 2011, 10:25:27 AM »
Yep, I have that already... but there is limited support for MIDI USB devices using iOS, through this connector.  I may have to do some experimentation to see if it will work.

You can plug in a standard MIDI keyboard and CoreMIDI in iOS is the complete MIDI framework you normally get with every newer Mac. I think the limitations are located in the apps, not in hardware or OS.

Almost every MIDI-capable iOS app is actually working with the unflexible GSM/XG mapping. That's enough for synths or simple drum utilization but not yet sufficent enough for e-drumming. Let's hope that Alesis, Roland, Yamaha, FXpansion, Toontrack etc. are hearing us...

Offline AWDV8

« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2011, 12:40:24 PM »
The only thing holding me back from buying this dock is the fact that I'd be stuck using Garageband's crappy vst's. On another note, I wonder how bad the latency is?

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #86 on: January 07, 2014, 10:20:56 AM »
I know this topic is a little old, but I thought you guys would get a kick out of this. It would appear that my mock-ups were more convincing than I thought. Here is a French web that pulled my photoshop mock-ups thinking they were the real thing: http://www.soundpad.fr/dm-dock-dalesis

I guess those pic do look pretty convincing. 8)

Offline Sharkuel

« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2014, 07:09:49 AM »
LOL  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Seriously... The way they speak of the "product" it is like they have an inside man in Alesis. So much detail over a thing that apparently doesn't exist...
Megadrum 32 inputs with positional sensing add-on.

Cone centered DIY triggers in snare and toms.

8" racktom
10" racktom
12" racktom
14" floortom

Roland VH13
Lemon Cymbals

"Life is short, death is near, but one's word lives forever