Author Topic: My DM10X set-up  (Read 2123 times)

My DM10X set-up
« on: September 11, 2018, 05:58:30 AM »
I'm really enjoying my DM10X.  I have added a floor Hi-Hat, another cymbal, mesh heads and recently the Simmons DA-350 drum monitors.

Re: My DM10X set-up
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 10:08:49 PM »
Nice looking set up. I am amazed that you actually have a back on your throne. I thought I was the only one in the world using a throne with a back. I am 70 years old and I have a bad back. If I try and drum without back support I can only last a few minutes. The back extends my playing time considerably. 8)

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 07:22:19 AM »
I hear ya.  I'm 60.  We're not spring chickens anymore.

Offline Iggford

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 09:09:47 AM »
I have that very throne (from the looks of it, if yours has the velvet seat cover).  I bought it earlier this year on a recommendation from a local drummer friend of mine.  I needed a second one so my older one could stay with my practice kit.  I haven't looked back.  It's a bit more to take apart and transport for gigs, but it more than makes up for it by the end of a show!

--
Shawn

Offline AlanK

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 09:38:48 AM »
Wow, so I'm the baby at 55! SeilorBird, Allen, you both inspire me! I got back into drums about 5 yrs ago and was depressed that I'd been out of it for half my life.. was feeling a bit of despair that I only had so many decent enough years left to get good again and learn things I'd never practiced before. But if I can get another 20 years then I'm happy.

I don't have the back rest but wanted to get a throne like that too.. I could only afford a Tama 1st Chair saddle type with loads of cushioning.. dang, back in the 70s and 80s I'd only ever seen standard 4 or 5" thick round stools.. not too comfortable even then when I was 110 lbs but now at twice that weight.. getting back in to drumming my first crappy seat just wouldn't cut it.. the Tama went on sale for like 75 bucks so I had to upgrade. But if the backrest type ever goes on sale, I'm in!

Hey Allen, noticed your hi-hats (or top at least) look like the new Strike style cymbal pad.. or is it a Yamaha? How do they feel and work? Better than the standard Pro X hats I'm sure.. very curious. Thanks
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 12:02:04 PM »
Yes it is the Strike Hi-Hat set-up.  A guy on this site was selling it a while back.  I still need to tweak it some but I do like it better than what came with the 10X.

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 04:01:06 PM »
I am thrilled to be back on the throne again after a long layoff. I was not idle. I played guitar, bass, keyboards and lately ukulele. The coolest is my bass ukulele. I love it. Sounds like a standup bass and is very small. Hey Ringo is pushing 80 and still going strong. He only has a three note range now when singing but his drumming is still as spectacular as ever. I saw Bill Haley and his Comets about twenty years ago and they were still rocking strong. Some were in their 80s. Of course Bill died in the 80s so he wasn't with them. But what really cracked me up was one song they ended with three down beats that they punctuated by jumping up in the air and landing on the beat. The highest any of them jumped was about a foot, most jumped about 6 inches, but it was the thought that counts.

Offline Iggford

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 10:21:51 AM »
I absolutely love to see these guys that have been doing it for decades go out there and show that they can still play circles around just about anyone half their age.  To me, it shows a true dedication to their craft. 

I'm 41 now, been playing since I was about 22, but I've only been playing in a band situation for 3 years.  I'm hoping that I can rock out like some of these guys when I get to that stage of my life. 

I applaud anyone who puts in the time and effort to make this a lifetime activity.  Whether it be a career or just a hobby, the energy required once you sit down at that kit doesn't change.

--
Shawn

Offline AlanK

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 11:22:14 AM »
Totally agree, Shawn. I am ashamed at myself that I let 25 yrs go by without attempting to get back in.. life was busy and I was broke (still the same but I just had to play again).. I think if I'd known about electronic sets 10 yrs ago I may have tried to get a used set and delve back in sooner but also, timing and life path is everything..

If I hadn't met my 2nd wife (2nd ex-wife now lol) then I wouldn't have met her friends' boyfriends/husbands who were jamming at one of the parties.. I wouldn't have gone down and asked to try sitting in and then got hit big time with the bug to drum again. The timing was perfect to have found the DM10X a few years ago which had the right amount of drums/cymbals for the price.

And the rest is history.. but to get back to your point about age and seniors with more skill or dedication than younglings... I am so inspired now in my 50's to get as much out of playing as I can physically and time-wise.. I'm so not in shape, and playing too long or hard can hurt me for days or weeks after so I do take it easy and am more of a light player, I just can't be bashing away, and I don't know if I'd have the endurance to play a concert! (but we did play for a few hours on and off at a friend's party a few weeks ago and it was a blast.. but it was humid, no A/C, and I was sweating bullets, and all the playing, plus the lugging of drums up and down stairs from my basement to theirs, and back again, hurt me way more than I'd bargained for).

But I want to get the most out of this hobby and my passion for music and drumming as possible before my time comes. Every time I watch a good drummer play or someone with a really cool tricked out set I get so hyped up about how cool it is to be a drummer and play the drums, it just puts me up in the clouds.. drumming is SO much fun and when you find that pocket it's bliss.. and if you're playing or jamming and you begin to connect with the other(s), it's a feeling like no other huh?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 11:24:38 AM by AlanK »
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Mr.J.

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 01:27:51 PM »
I too have the same throne, best money I ever spent, wish I had gotten it years ago.

Nice set-up.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 11:15:57 AM »
Allen, you got some fancy picture frames in that there room! hahaha   nice!

Offline Iggford

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 12:50:07 PM »
Alan, I couldn't agree with you more.  I started playing before I met my wife.  There hasn't been a time that there wasn't a kit in our living room or bedroom. 

I had begun to play an acoustic kit, and actually had a couple of friends that were interested in starting a band.  I ended up moving out of state, so those plans fell through.  Once I was here in North Carolina, I met a guy at my job who was interested in teaching himself to play guitar.  He found a good deal online and bought a guitar and amp.  I was online to buy the same package, and we were going to both learn and go around and hopefully play some local stuff.  I spotted a Roland TD-6 kit.  It was about five times the price of what I was supposed to be buying, but I did it anyway.  We jammed in my apartment all the time.  It was great because of the volume control.  I had that kit until 2008, when we lost everything to a fire.  My wife ended up surprising me with a new kit, an updated version of the TD-6. 

I kept just playing for the fun of it, until I found an ad on Craigslist for a band looking for a drummer that plays an e-kit in 2015.  My wife talked me into auditioning.  I credit her for my involvement in this band to this day.

I'm plagued with back and knee problems, and haven't been in the greatest shape for some time.  I have, however, had more success in getting back into shape during times that I'm able to put at least an hour a day into playing.  I've had some shows that have been a little tough getting through, specifically a date in April where we played a show on a warm Saturday morning, then followed up with a 4-hour gig the same night.  We try not to take many of those! :)

I'm the same way you are, I just want to get the most out of this.  I have learned a lot in the last 3 years especially, on top of just learning to play over the last 20 years of my life.  I handle all the video and audio mixing and processing for the band, so I've learned how to use the equipment.  I sat in on a session, with the girl who has since become the band's keyboard player, to add drum tracks to a few songs on her indie band's album a couple years ago.  It's given me this craving for more.  Ultimately, I want to set up a studio, where I can invite songwriters in to record.  I'll provide drums if they want, but mostly, it will be to provide mastering services.  My area has an amazing songwriter community, and I want to be able to help give that community the tools to reach as many people as possible. 

I feel the same when I see an amazing drummer, live or on TV.  I'm proud to share that as an attribute, and it makes me just want to sit down at my kit and have at it. 

My band has come a long way in 3 years.  We've released an album, and we have a huge library of cover songs that we do.  However, I think the most fun I've had is in those moments when we're just noodling around, and before long, there's an improvised jam taking shape.  Getting into that groove and playing off each other's spontaneity is a feeling like no other.  We're often amazed at what happens.  And there's one or two of those that have been incorporated into songs we recorded for the album.

I love this life, and I just want to do this as long as I can!

--
Shawn.

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 07:30:11 AM »
AlanK:  That room is wall to wall pictures.  My father-in-law (passed) was a wood  worker / artist.  He made all the frames and painted all the art.

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2018, 03:33:39 PM »
Glad you're loving that beautiful kit! I love mine too!

Wow! I was off work for nine months after a back injury, and playing drums on my cheap throne was agonizing. I actually thought I was going to have to hang it up for good, and this was around ten years ago. I'm only 52, but that back injury really set me back... and I was much younger then.

My wife took me to Guitar Center to get some new heads and she spotted the high-end Tama throne. Too pricey for me to consider, but one of the highlights in the text on that throne is that it's good for one's back, so she bought it for me.

They didn't have the backrest for it in stock, I thought I'd just order that online. At this point I was playing on a modified office chair. I had to beef it up on the bottom since taking off the wheels made it too low.

After playing for just a few minutes on the new Tama throne, I noticed that my back felt better. It not only wasn't hurting... but feeling better! After a whole practice, I was amazed. I still haven't bought the backrest. These awesome thrones (Gibraltar, Pork Pie, Tama, etc.,) are indeed worth every penny!
Alesis DM10X Mesh - Laurin Drums & Cymbals - Strike Module
Dartanbeck.com Digital Artist