Author Topic: [DM6] DM6 Kick going crazy  (Read 706 times)

[DM6] DM6 Kick going crazy
« on: August 30, 2020, 04:52:15 AM »
Hi all, I'm experiencing a very strange problem with my DM6.

Even if all the cables are disconnected (with the exception of the power of course  :)) the kick plays alone and I can see the red light of the kick flashing on the module.

Has anyone experienced something similar ? Any suggestion ?

Best regards,
Antonio

Online Chaser

Re: [DM6] DM6 Kick going crazy
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 01:15:28 PM »
Hi all, I'm experiencing a very strange problem with my DM6.

Even if all the cables are disconnected (with the exception of the power of course  :)) the kick plays alone and I can see the red light of the kick flashing on the module.

Has anyone experienced something similar ? Any suggestion ?

Best regards,
Antonio

Is the harness disconnected from the module or just the triggers disconnected from the harness?.
Disconnect the DB25 connector from the module and power on..see if the issue is still present.(this will eliminate the harness from trouble shooting)

The DM6 has an option on the back to switch kick types.Try switching back and forth...

If that doesn't help try a Factory Reset..

To return the DM6 module to its original settings, hold down  VALUE  +  and  VALUE  –  simultaneously while powering/turning on the module.
This  will  restore  its  factory settings.(include voice, volume setting).

If neither of the above help , double check the power supply.
When power adapters start going bad strange things start to happen.

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 03:39:54 AM »
The whole harness is disconnected.

I tried with the factory reset, moving the back switch, and with another power supply but unfortunately it's the same.

I think my DM6 module has gone.

Do you have any suggestion about an alternative drum module to use with the same set of pads ?

Antonio   

Online Chaser

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 10:18:08 PM »

I think my DM6 module has gone.

Do you have any suggestion about an alternative drum module to use with the same set of pads ?

Antonio

This may get a little confusing as the DM6 has been around for over 10 years...discontinued...replaced with new/different module..then recently the original was re-introduced.
There are currently (2) modules that identify as DM6..similar but different.The original DM6 had 108 sounds..15 Kits
The newer DM6 (Medeli DD512-514) has 385 ..40 kits..

Depending on which DM6 Kit you have will depend on what module the triggers are compatible with.
If the pads/triggers are all 1/4" (6.35mm) jacks then you'll have the least amount of compatibility problems.Some of the earlier DM6 harnesses/pads/triggers had 1/8" (3.5mm) TRS

DM6 USB Kit

DM6 Express Kit

DM6 Session Kit

The original DM6 module (3 Character RED LED screen) had the same firmware for ALL kits..the harness was different for each one.
There were 3 harnesses including one with 1/8" (3.5mm) TRS cables and one was an expansion to 9 triggers.

The newer "DM6" Kits like the DM6 Nitro Kit (which has DM6 Pads) use a newer module except for the DM6 Burst Kit  (similar to the DM6 Session)
which re-introduces the original DM6 module which was discontinued many years ago.

The newer line up for a majority of the modules use the same harness just different firmware installed.

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 08:09:16 AM »
Thanks a lot for the reply and the informations,  my kit is the original dm6 , all the pads/triggers are all 1/4" (6.35mm) jacks.

I will look around for a second hand dm6 module or similar.

Antonio

Online Chaser

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2020, 12:25:43 PM »
Thanks a lot for the reply and the informations,  my kit is the original dm6 , all the pads/triggers are all 1/4" (6.35mm) jacks.

I will look around for a second hand dm6 module or similar.

Antonio

If you plan on using a newer Alesis module use the KIT COMPARISON CHART..It will allow you to check the zone count

The...Crimson..Crimson II..Command..DM10 MKII Studio..Forge modules are based off the Medeli DD650.
You can load your own samples and songs.
There are differences are in the firmware

I would avoid the Command (single zone ride) and the Forge (single zone triggers)
The Crimson II has the option to use the Pro_X Hi Hat (same controller as Strike except single zone cymbal)
If you use VST be aware the Crimson II and DM10 MKII Studio have the Hi Hat open/closed tied to one note.

The Nitro..Surge modules are based off the Medeli DD512-514
These modules do not have the option of loading your own samples and songs.
There are differences are in the firmware

Out of these 2 module types I tested (DD650 and DD512-514.) I kept the Crimson and sold off the others.
It has everything including separate notes for the Hi Hat (open/closed).
You won't find many complaints for Crimson,but it is harder to find separately.

If you plan on using just VST check the eDRUMin

an older module but very good value is the original DM10

« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 07:43:54 PM by Chaser »