Author Topic: DM10 Voices Videos  (Read 10599 times)

Offline Guinness

DM10 Voices Videos
« on: March 22, 2010, 05:13:29 PM »
Hello All....

I remember when I was waiting for my DM10, I couldn't find that many videos or sound files that had DM10 voices.  While waiting, i wanted to hear how it sounded.  I couldn't get enough.  You don't know how many times I watched Hellfire's or Nevada Music's reviews.  Both reviews are good (obviously Phil's is better), but neither roll thoroughly through the kits.

So...  i'm thinking of adding some content to the wide-wide world of DM10.  What I'm thinking about is creating 5 - 10 videos of me rolling through each kit.  It would be basic, and I'd just play the same thing over and over in each kit, but the viewer would get the idea of what the DM10's voices are like.  I'd break it up in 5-10 separate videos, as there's 100 preset kits.

Before I go through the trouble of doing this (actually, I'd be happy to do it), is there any interest from the DMDrummer forum members?

Let me know...

Offline Burtmeister

Re: DM10 Voices Videos
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 05:47:28 PM »
Heck ya! Count me in as interested!

Offline H3RB

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 07:58:10 PM »
id be interested as i just got a dm5 and wanna see the difference. wanna know if its worth saving up for

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 07:58:57 PM »
Absolutely!!

even though im getting the Alesis I/O i would love to hear it

Offline Guinness

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 02:17:48 AM »
Well...  I tried to do one tonight, but I can't seem to get my camcorder to record the audio from the AV In.  It's supposed to work (at least that's what I thought.)  I wrote Canon for some help.

stay tuned...

Offline Guinness

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 08:59:48 PM »
Well... CRAP!   My Canon ZR850 can't record audio from another source other than the internal mic.  I just got off the phone with Canon.  Bummer.  >:(

I'll see if I can figure out another way of doing it.  Maybe my picture camera can do it, although, I bet the sound wouldn't be too great.   :-\

I haven't given up yet! 

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 09:22:21 PM »
I'm also really interested! Bring it on.

Offline H3RB

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 09:54:04 PM »
how about just running the dm10 through a small amp or some speakers then just record your self going through a few of the kits on the video cam? just do say 5 voices per video or something. would probably take a couple hours but its all good

Offline Guinness

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 11:07:04 PM »
Both picture cameras I have won't do external audio sources. 

So, I could video me playing, then record sound straight to my computer, and then mix it all.  But, do you really need to "see"?  I'm thinking not really.  Audio is key, and I want it to be quality, so you get a real sense of the voices.

I could hook it up to an amp, but having done that before with my guitar amp, it sounded like crap, so that wouldn't be worthwhile.   Although, now that I think of it, I could hook it up straight to a stereo amplifier and see how that sounds.   So many options....  lol

Offline Guinness

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 12:19:26 AM »
As a test, here's a short clip of the Demo.  (I did this to see if it would work, and how to use Adobe Audition)  File format is MP3.

I'll post these elsewhere going forward, and post a link, so I don't waste hellfire's server space with audio files.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 01:00:27 AM »
Well...  I have it working pretty good... but the tip broke off my stick, but like a dumbass, I kept playing.  Then, on my snare, it snaged the mesh head and ripped.  Sigh.    Time to order a new snare head. 

I recorded 3 kits and I'll try to post them at some point.

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 09:03:40 AM »
 ;D Awesome! I am stoked to hear it...

Offline Guinness

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 02:21:37 AM »
Update:

I had to reinstall Adobe Premier.  that took forever, plus I was doing taxes at the same time.  So...  I probably won't get to it until the weekend.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 03:27:32 AM »
Ok...  video for kits 000-011 is done.  I used Adobe Audtion for the audio, then mixed it into Adobe Premier for the video.  Cool project.

But I can't seem to find a good format.  First was avi and it was 3.7gigs.  Then I did quicktime, and while the file size was good, video was poor and sound quality was just as bad.  Then I tried a custom Mpeg-2, and it was 2.4gigs.   When I play either the of the large files in Windows media player, it is sketchy.  And if I play those same large files in quicktime, it stops ever 20 seconds or so.  Just too big, imo.

Anyways, if anyone is good with videos and can tell me what settings to use, I'd appreciate the help.

Update:  I figured it out.  Uploading to YouTube right now.  LOWWW quality video, but High Quality sound (44.1khz, 16 bit, 192kbps bitrate).  I'll post the youtube link here shortly.  Or search for "Guinness" "DM10"

Update2:
Crap.  Youtube doesn't allow videos longer than 10 minutes.  Mine is 17.  I'll have to edit and repost.  Stay tuned.  :)

Update3:  Uploading to YouTube now...  two videos.  I'll post the links when the upload is complete.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 10:30:52 PM by Guinness »

Offline Guinness

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 11:18:40 PM »
DM10 Kits 000-011:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBDcL-KVnn8

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKWeVBP8GaE

(total video time is about 17 minutes)

Please post your comments.  I spent a boat load of time putting these together.  Fortunately, I learned a lot, so the next ones will not be as time consuming. 

Also...  yes I know, I made some mistakes (I wasn't trying to be perfect, just wanted get the voices out).  One in particular is funny...  I got my stick caught under my ride, not once, but twice!  LOL   ;D 

By the way, I happen to be wearing a Guinness shirt, but, and I know you won't believe me, I did that by chance.  LOL   :D 

Sound quality on vid two is 44.1khz and 192bitrate.  i had to redo Part 1, so I increased it to 48khz and 256bitrate.  Should be better.

Anyways, please let me know what you think. 

Enjoy...

DM10 Kits 012-023:

Quickly went through these kits.  And I shared my kit 104.  Video is 10 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL0wwPlp8sI

Video Number 4:
DM10 kits 24 - 43

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7mmNNLUYwY
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 02:21:12 AM by Guinness »

Offline H3RB

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2010, 11:55:26 PM »
just watched the first well second part. good job ;D some strange kits in there tho lol gonna have to watch the second 2morrow tho as its 5am and i need some sleep lol
thanks alot for doin these.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2010, 12:53:16 AM »
just watched the first well second part. good job ;D some strange kits in there tho lol gonna have to watch the second 2morrow tho as its 5am and i need some sleep lol
thanks alot for doin these.

Part 1 is up now.

Offline H3RB

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2010, 01:15:21 AM »
just watched the first part also. the toms sound so much better then the dm5 so do the cymbals well to be fair it all does but mainly those 2 lol is there any chance of a video of swells at all starting with the open hi hats and moving round the cymbals? not tryin to be cheeky but the worst problem i have with my dm5 is the damn machine gun noise when trying to do swells. ive tweeked it as much as i can without it missing any hits but its still nothing compared to the read thing

Offline Guinness

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2010, 01:20:19 AM »
If I remember correctly, I do swells in both videos on the left crash.  Also, at the beginning of Part one, I run through all the high hat sounds..  closed, open, and everything inbetween (variable).

I think I'm planning on doing a few more kits tomorrow.  I'll swell between the cymbals and hi-hats, just for you.   ;)

Offline H3RB

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2010, 01:23:50 AM »
yeah i noticed the swells and tried to listen for the machine gun noise but cant say i heard it which is a good sign lol if possible just do about 10seconds ish on each one but if you cba to do them then no worries lol its all good

Online Hellfire

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2010, 10:53:30 AM »
The videos look great. Great job Guinness. Your kit looks pretty sweet too. I think those two videos give a very good taste of what the stock DM10 sounds like.

BTW, I went back and made your links to your videos a little easier to see. I wish this forum software would bold and underline links automatically. That way when people look through topic they will be able to spot the links more quickly.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 10:57:28 AM by Hellfire »

Offline Burtmeister

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2010, 11:13:31 AM »
Nice job Guinness! That's exactly what I wanted to see (hear).

Offline Guinness

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2010, 11:22:04 AM »
The videos look great. Great job Guinness. Your kit looks pretty sweet too. I think those two videos give a very good taste of what the stock DM10 sounds like.

BTW, I went back and made your links to your videos a little easier to see. I wish this forum software would bold and underline links automatically. That way when people look through topic they will be able to spot the links more quickly.

Thanks for doing that HF.   By the way, did you see the end of Part 2?  Logo looked good.  :)

Thanks for the comments.

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2010, 11:33:39 AM »
Great videos!
im using the alesis trigger io with BFD2, but a stand alone is something i will hopefully be able to afford later one, and the DM10 seems like a dream!

thanks for the videos, look forward to the future ones

Online Hellfire

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2010, 11:45:55 AM »