Author Topic: Surge AUX in not working?  (Read 781 times)

Surge AUX in not working?
« on: May 26, 2022, 11:39:25 AM »
Trying to figure out which way to go, and I'm curious if the Surge module is worth repairing (out of warranty).

I use Klipsch computer speakers for my Surge kit and they are awesome, but today my AUX port seems to have stopped working.

I'm only getting the slightest sound out of the speakers, but when I tested the speakers with my laptop - they are loud and working perfectly.

Unfortunately, I don't have another pair of speakers to test the AUX port. 

Is it worth taking the module to an electronics repair shop and testing and possibly fixing the AUX port, or should I just go ahead and buy a new Surge module?  Or possibly the Strike module?

Thanks for any help!

Online Hellfire

Re: Surge AUX in not working?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2022, 09:35:10 AM »
Trying to figure out which way to go, and I'm curious if the Surge module is worth repairing (out of warranty).

I use Klipsch computer speakers for my Surge kit and they are awesome, but today my AUX port seems to have stopped working.

I'm only getting the slightest sound out of the speakers, but when I tested the speakers with my laptop - they are loud and working perfectly.

Unfortunately, I don't have another pair of speakers to test the AUX port. 

Is it worth taking the module to an electronics repair shop and testing and possibly fixing the AUX port, or should I just go ahead and buy a new Surge module?  Or possibly the Strike module?

Thanks for any help!

That depends.

Couple things, it's my understanding that the AUX port on the Surge is meant for an INPUT. You could use the headphone out to your speakers. Just make sure you have the volume on the module is turned down. You could also try using the main Outputs. Of course you would need the correct cable to go to your speakers.

I would start with that.

Now if you are just needing a reason to justify getting a new module...That's up to you.  ;)

Offline Chaser

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 02:05:35 PM »
As Hellfire pointed out the Aux is input only...maybe it's your explanation of the issue.
The Aux Input for the Surge Module (Medeli DD512) is adjusted from the source (phone,tablet etc)..not the module (Volume adjustment Knob for phone/line output only...menu volumes for kit/voice..[<] + [>] in Song Menu).
Aux input is not recorded, if recording on the module.
Are you losing the Aux input in the Drum Mix?...If it just started occurring and you are using the same Volume output settings at the Source you have used prior,I would check the 1/8" TRS cable..they go bad.A small blast from a canned "Air" duster to blow out any dust at the port sometimes solves it.

A Factory Reset may help also (Hold down [<] + [>] simultaneously while powering on)..but you will lose your trigger settings etc , so make a note of them.
The Surge Module (Medeli DD512) with Harness is in the $75-150 range depending if new/used..with or without the trigger harness,which is also the price range a repair shop with a Minimum charge might charge you just to diagnose it.

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2022, 10:29:51 AM »
Thanks so much for the replies.  Before getting back here I actually went ahead and took the module to a repair shop that had a $50 diagnoses fee.

I have not heard back yet, but he thought to replace the AUX port, if needed, would be around the cost to diagnose, so hopefully I can get out of there with a perfectly working module for only $50.  I also tried the factory reset and it didn't solve the problem.