Author Topic: Alesis Command beater angle adjustment.  (Read 3313 times)

Alesis Command beater angle adjustment.
« on: May 24, 2021, 10:25:14 AM »
I picked up an Alesis Command kit the other day. Absolutely love it. Its a blast to play. One issue I'm having though is the angle of the beater on the kick pedal. I have a bruise on top of my foot from it bouncing back and hitting me. Is it possible to adjust it so it sits further forward when at rest? Or is it a technique thing? I'm a guitarist and bought the kit to mess around on and to use with EzDrummer for band demos so if the answer is super simple my apologies.

Re: Alesis Command beater angle adjustment.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2022, 10:23:30 AM »
This is exactly my situation.

As far as I know, you cannot change the angle without doing some modifications to the steel bar where the beater is mounted.
I was looking for a solution as well, but the problem is that the bar is flattened where the screw from the spring is. You can use a tuning key to loosen the screw and to change the beater angle, but when you tighten the screw again, it will slip back to that flattened part so the angle is adjusted back.

The next thing I have tried, is to remove the bar completely to turn it a bit, but it is somehow fixed by the ball bearings.

Does anyone have another solution without using a file to flatten the bar on some other side?

Offline Chaser

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2022, 01:23:17 PM »
This is exactly my situation.

As far as I know, you cannot change the angle without doing some modifications to the steel bar where the beater is mounted.
I was looking for a solution as well, but the problem is that the bar is flattened where the screw from the spring is. You can use a tuning key to loosen the screw and to change the beater angle, but when you tighten the screw again, it will slip back to that flattened part so the angle is adjusted back.

The next thing I have tried, is to remove the bar completely to turn it a bit, but it is somehow fixed by the ball bearings.

Does anyone have another solution without using a file to flatten the bar on some other side?

Welcome to the Forum !

The Alesis pedal doesn't have much in the way of advanced adjustment...Filing it down to try to move the beater closer to the head won't solve it and by moving it closer without accuracy will cause more problems double hits etc (not to mention ruining the pedal) and it will still come back and hit you as this pedal gets too loose .

I have always adjusted them for people by reversing the chain mounting which raises the pedal (and distance from your shin etc) this "minute adjustment" changes the pedal timing..keeps it firm so it doesn't get as loose and slap back even at a fast BPM..it's a 5 min fix.

Lift the pedal to take the tension off the chain ..slide the chain off..reverse it at the bottom of the pedal,reassemble(reverse order..make sure to tighten screw as the chain will be flipped over it) and check the chain alignment....lower the beater to hit just off center
You can also change the beater to a single head instead of dual/reversible...otherwise your next step is getting a better pedal..

EDIT:
Added Images

« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 01:46:00 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2022, 02:32:28 PM »

Welcome to the Forum !

Thank you!

And thanks for your answer. I searched the web for days and this is by far the most helpful one. I will give it a try.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2022, 03:10:58 PM »

Welcome to the Forum !

Thank you!

And thanks for your answer. I searched the web for days and this is by far the most helpful one. I will give it a try.

Basically what you are doing with this little trick is removing (multiple) chain links..without actually removing them.This pedal doesn't have the ability to move links up like some pedals where you can loosen a screw move the chain a link at a time and replace the screw.
This prevents the beater/shaft from coming all the way back before the pedal is on it's way down for the next hit..increasing distance between the beater and you.
It also prevents the pedal from bottoming out on the tightening screw to the kick tower.
More advanced pedals have adjustable cams etc...The low tech way would be to bend/offset the beater shaft in a vise and use a self aligning head..

Lowering the beater shortens the shaft length/arc (also increasing the distance between the beater and you)
Lowering it also puts it a bit closer to the Piezo and it will pickup the hits better as one of the complaints with the kick drum were all hits weren't being accurately detected...so it's a 2 for 1 fix  for some..

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2022, 04:47:04 PM »
Ok, it seems like Alesis does not want that we adjust anything else than the spring tension or the beater length.... :(
In my version of the pedal, there is only a screw on one side of the chain. The part for the tuning key is missing.
So the only chance is to buy another pedal.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2022, 05:37:55 PM »
The images I provided are from a pedal that came with Crimson/Command Kits..
It does look like there has been some design changes..which kit did your pedal come with?

The adjustment screw is for chain/beater alignment to slide on the Hex shaft...the chain itself slides out.
Is there a retaining slot for the chain?The slot is in the shape of a link.
I moved the link one slot so you can see how it is shaped.

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2022, 03:09:47 AM »
Mine came with the Command Mesh, which is from 2021.
There is a slot for the chain, but no screw, so there is no chance to get the chain out. It seems like it is glued into the slot.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2022, 11:42:19 AM »
Mine came with the Command Mesh, which is from 2021.
There is a slot for the chain, but no screw, so there is no chance to get the chain out. It seems like it is glued into the slot.

Unfortunately it looks like Alesis may have come up with an even cheaper pedal.
The pedal in the images I posted came with the original Crimson Kit and the Original Command Kit (mesh and rubber pads..discontinued and removed from data base including Legacy).
This pedal is/was also known as the DMPedal which came out as far back as the Original DM10..there was a Pro-X pedal (discontinued).

The screw you keep mentioning has nothing to do with the chain..it is basically a set screw to hold the chain/beater mount in place on the Hex shaft..nothing else.
I also noticed in you photos there looks to be a change in the arrangement of the tensioner setup...opposite of what it was..
Reverse the Hex nut,the knurled nut,flip the spring clip (tension pulls forward) and set it to extreme adjustment and check the arc/stroke.
I also noticed "white dust".I don't know if it's just normal dust with light reflecting but make sure you are not using the felt side on a mesh head.

The chain trick I posted and the extreme adjusted (attached) set's the pedal to an extremely short stroke and quick rebound.(speed metal for E-drums).
You don't need a full Arc/Bury the Beater/Power Stroke for E-Drums..you'll end up breaking/destroying the head/trigger etc.
I put the chain back into normal position and with the extreme setting the beater came no closer than 2-1/2" - 3" from the top of my foot and I had it flying

EDIT:
Added image
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 12:54:45 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2022, 11:38:47 AM »
The white dust you see in the pictures is indeed from the felt beater, which the previous owner seemed to be using.
Shortly after I got the kit I only used the plastic side instead.

Edit: Ok, it seems that the problem has just vanished, because one of the ball bearings could not stand my kind of playing.  ;D What a piece of trash....
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 12:53:26 PM by CactusJack »

Offline Chaser

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2022, 02:09:15 PM »
The white dust you see in the pictures is indeed from the felt beater, which the previous owner seemed to be using.
Shortly after I got the kit I only used the plastic side instead.

Edit: Ok, it seems that the problem has just vanished, because one of the ball bearings could not stand my kind of playing.  ;D What a piece of trash....

The Alesis pedals aren't the best quality (especially price wise)..for sure..and you have an even cheaper version than the one I have laying around.

If you are looking for a decent/temporary pedal that won't break the bank Zenison carries one under Musikutopia on ebay for $39.99 FREE ship.
It's a heavy duty pedal..Dual Chain,independent beater/chain adjustment,mounted on a footplate,side screw clamping.
A lot of pedals.. the foot board itself has the same mounting screw pattern so you may be to put the Alesis on it if you wanted.
This will get you by until you get to a store etc and try out pedals or decide how much you want to spend..high quality pedals are more than E-Kits in some instances.

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2022, 03:43:40 PM »
Thanks for the hint, but I live in Germany, so I have to look for another option.
I saw a Tama Iron Cobra 600 on eBay for 45? which is approx. $50. I think it will do the job as long as it fits on the Alesis kickstand.