Author Topic: dm10 studio Frame question??  (Read 3125 times)

dm10 studio Frame question??
« on: December 28, 2010, 05:44:45 AM »
Hi all im new to DMdrummer as a member but have been reading and this seemed to be the BEST site for any of my e drum needs ;D any who i just bought the dm10 studio (darn thing is on back order) and i have heard horror stories about the frame being un stable or wobbly when using double bass pedals or just in general. Can anyone confirm this or offer tips on how to "sturdy up" the frame if need be at all? thanks again! ;D

Re: dm10 studio Frame question??
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 11:35:06 AM »
I was concerned about this, but happily have not found this to be true.  However, I am a jazz player, and do not play hard or loud.  With e- drums, I don't find it necessary to hit very hard and I use lighter wood beaded sticks - just turn up the volume if you want it louder!  Enjoy! 

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 02:12:17 AM »
while i would love to just "turn the volume up" its something that not all players can adjust to such as myself :P also i have high hopes of letting other drummers track with this kit for their bands demo etc if they want so that is one more reason i was concerned with the durability. It is good to know that the frame is at least sturdy for regular use thank you!

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 12:42:54 PM »
Also, be careful not to crank down the clamps too hard.  I haven't broken any, but it wouldn't surprize me if I do someday.  If I do, I expect to just begin replacing them with the better gibraltar clamps...

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 09:10:37 PM »
Honestly, it depends on the drummer. I hit hard. I am a rock guy. The only issue i had was the snare mount. I just put that on a snare stand I had and issue resolved. The kicks are not attached to the frame in any way and will not move if your drummer of the day has lead feet. Just keep in mind that it's an e-kit. You can't play them like a big double bass acoustic kit. Just tell your visiting drummer not to change his style but to not play "Through" the drum either. That should help your gear last a long time. The frame is plastic but sturdy
As of now: DM10 Studio Kit with additional SURGE cymbals and DM5 pads.
Pearl ICON front rack with Stealth rack front curved bars for side rack arms
Vic Firth Sticks and MacBook for VST triggering.

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 10:06:14 PM »
I often play metal, double bass, lots of fills, and I play hard.  I have a dm5 prokit, which looks to be a bit less stable than the dm10 one. But it has stood up to everything Ive thrown at it for a whole year. Every once in a while I have to re tighten the hi hat cymbal cause it gets abused a lot. But as someone else said, the bass drum is independent, and mine has never tipped over, but I do have iron cobra double bass pedals that clamp onto it so it would have a hard time falling over.

I also like to keep the right leg straight (parallel with me) and the left leg kicked out to accommodate the pedals.

After everything was tightened, Ive only had to pull in the arms with the hi hat and ride, they walk out a bit but maybe only an inch or w/e a month so its not noticeable.

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 01:39:07 AM »
awesome guys thanks for all the help! il give an update seeing how i feel bout sturdy it is and hopefully it will please all  ;D

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 03:40:10 PM »
if you want a better frame you might consider the pro kit.

But the frame of the studio kit is quite solid.