Author Topic: My hands are killing me...  (Read 2874 times)

Offline Coaster

My hands are killing me...
« on: November 06, 2010, 07:44:37 AM »
Some of you might know that im all new to this and got a DM10 Studio kit this tuesday.
I have been playing it ever since (IT IS SOOOO MUCH FUN!!!) continuously, except for when at work or sleeping  :P

But my hands are killing me. They hurt and itch to the bones.

What options do I have; should I get drum gloves (i've seen these in the local shop), or buy other sticks or can I get some kind of tape to put on the sticks, to minimize vibrations going through the stick to my hands?
I'm using the sticks that came with the set.

I want to keep playing this weekend, but my hands  are wearing out.
Help please!  :-\
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 07:48:43 AM by Coaster »
Sorry for any noobish questions I might have. At least they hopefully will be easy to answer.

Re: My hands are killing me...
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 10:08:47 AM »
Hi

Are you a new drummer ?
If yes you should maybe see on youtube different grip on stick on be sure to use the one that fits better for you.
Are you a heavy striker ? Maybe you should strike softer.
If your problems came your wrist, you should practive some warm-up movements. Search on youtube there's a lot of example.
Once all this done, you can go to a drumshop and try many different sticks to find the ones that fit for you. Don't take to heavy stick as it will results on striking stronger and electronic drums are not as resistant as an acoutsic drum.
Regarding the solutions you asked, I have never try all this stuff so I can't really answer on this.
have fun and good luck.

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 06:40:02 PM »
Your technique is not helping your hands I'm sure. Can you post a video of your playing? I'm sure we could come up with some ideas after watching that. When I started playing many years ago I had the same problem. I watched videos and listened to drummers play. I found a way to make my drums sound like the ones I heard on my  CD's and the radio. A subscription to Modern Drummer didn't hurt. I can't tell you how many times I have resolved an issue by reading something in an article or interview they printed. Either way if you need help I for one am willing to help.
As of now: DM10 Studio Kit with additional SURGE cymbals and DM5 pads.
Pearl ICON front rack with Stealth rack front curved bars for side rack arms
Vic Firth Sticks and MacBook for VST triggering.

Orangeblood

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 07:14:00 PM »
Hands shouldn't hurt regardless of what your hitting. I would also say its technique.

Offline Coaster

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 06:42:40 AM »
Thank you all, for your kind help!
Yes, it was all about my bad technique; Too strong a grip directed all the vibrations from the drums, through the sticks absorbing into my hands.
Watching a bunch of videos on youtube, really helped me. Great advice!
I'm now forcing myself to use a much lighter grip, using mostly the thumbs and index fingers.
With some practice, forcing it wont be necessary, I'm sure.

Regarding digitaldarth's suggestion about a video of me playing?
No, no, no. I dont want to be the Worst Noobish Drummer of the Month or something, on the internet.  ::) ;D

Thanks all. This really helped me!
Sorry for any noobish questions I might have. At least they hopefully will be easy to answer.

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 10:35:37 AM »
Gotcha. If you want to do a video chat I promise not to post it for anyone to see. Glad you are making progress. Just send me a PM and we can set something up. I bet if you choke up on that stick and find the fulcrum you will see a difference as well. Good luck.
As of now: DM10 Studio Kit with additional SURGE cymbals and DM5 pads.
Pearl ICON front rack with Stealth rack front curved bars for side rack arms
Vic Firth Sticks and MacBook for VST triggering.

Offline Pier

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 04:23:08 PM »
I agree with the guys: proper technique saves a lot of pain (and time)!
Find any expert/working drummer in your zone (maybe someone able to play ROLLS correctly) and ask him/her about stick gripping, balance point and rebounds. You're in for a lot of discoveries!

Another thing: if you're a HEAVY hitter but you play on an exclusively electronic drum kit, the good news are that you don't need to hit hard at all!!!
Adjust your pads response and the overall volume accordingly and you'll go out with a thunder even if you just "blow" on a pad (of course use something that your band can accept...  :) ).

Now for the sticks model. For what this may worth: I am 45 years old now; after some trial and errors now I use always a couple of basic sticks model 5A! Got it? Not any "Mr. X custom model".
"Mr. X custom model" are good just for "Mr. X" and for few others (VERY few). Go into a music store and buy a pair of good basic sticks. Then investigate further if you still feel the need.
But this just suits me; you'll have to investigate your way.

Uh... I know how much fun is to play drums -- but try to remember that music is even about PAUSES and not just NOTES...  ;D

Hope that helps

Offline Guinness

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 12:10:15 PM »
Get a pair of Ziligian's dipped 7A sticks.  Easy to hold, and doesn't tear up your hands.  You're right, holding the thumb and index finger is key.  When I started playing again, 9 months ago, I had to rebuild up the calouses on my index finger.   But that was just a flesh wound, not "hands hurt"...  which I assume, your palms ache, etc...

If it hurts, you're doing it wrong.  :)

And...  of course...  post a video.  Pretty good group of players in here who won't tease/embarrass you....  that's from personal experience.