Author Topic: piezzo sensor for modding singlezone to dualzone snare  (Read 2165 times)

piezzo sensor for modding singlezone to dualzone snare
« on: August 28, 2010, 03:09:15 PM »
Hi,

I wondered, if the piezzo pickup of a standard electric drum pad, is the same as the piezzo speaker found in birthdaycards?

I mean, could I purchase a birthday card (the ones that open up and play a melody), get the speaker out, and use it as a sensor for my rim shot (like shown on this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhhRQ2Zv4mo )?

Online Hellfire

Re: piezzo sensor for modding singlezone to dualzone snare
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 03:16:50 PM »
Hi,

I wondered, if the piezzo pickup of a standard electric drum pad, is the same as the piezzo speaker found in birthdaycards?

I mean, could I purchase a birthday card (the ones that open up and play a melody), get the speaker out, and use it as a sensor for my rim shot (like shown on this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhhRQ2Zv4mo )?
Welcome to the forum ProDigit.

Something you need to keep in mind when talking about dual zone triggers. There are two flavors of them. The first is piezo/piezo. Meaning a piezo sensor for the head and piezo sensor for the rim. These type of dual zone triggers are typically used as drum triggers on Roland (mesh type) and Alesis modules. The other type is peizo/switch. Meaning a piezo sensor for the head and a simple switch for the rim. This type of dual zone trigger is used on Yamaha drum/cymbal triggers and on Roland cymbal (and rubber drum) triggers.

If you are going with a Yamaha module, a piezo/piezo drum trigger will do you no good. It will act like a single zone (head only) trigger. I hope that helps. Again, welcome to the forum.

Re: piezzo sensor for modding singlezone to dualzone snare
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 04:07:42 PM »
Thank you for your reply and welcome!  :)

I think I might go for the Alesis USB studio, so I won't need to do the piezo mod, but I will have to take it apart for the mesh mod (at least mesh mod on the snare)!