Author Topic: Crimson II SE Hi-Hat issues linking to BFD3  (Read 1012 times)

Crimson II SE Hi-Hat issues linking to BFD3
« on: December 01, 2022, 02:18:14 AM »
Hello Everyone!  Newbie here and looking for answers on this.

I've owned the now discontinued Crimson II SE for a couple years now and I've been quite happy with it.   

However I just bought BFD3 on their massive sale (Can't pass up $50!) wanting some more richer sounds that I could maybe use in a live setting. But I have come across a big issue, that I've seen all over that is is an issue, but cannot find an answer on how to fix it.

That's right, the dreaded Hi-Hat that is permanently stuck on Midi note 8.   

Knowing that InMusic now owns BFD3 I thought that they would have some sort of setting to fix this issue so people can own one of their kits to use it with ease.  Alas, that is not the case - even though they have the Crimson in auto-mapping.

Is there a workaround?
If there is, can I get a video tutorial on how to fix it  - or a writeup so basic that makes me feel like i'm 5?
Did I just waste money on BFD3 and it won't work at all? 
Do I have to try and track down a used Pro-X hi-hat or an off brand that will make it work?
Should I just drop the grand and get the Strike module?

Any advice would help.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 02:29:26 AM by Locnar1975 »

Online Hellfire

Re: Crimson II SE Hi-Hat issues linking to BFD3
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2022, 08:02:21 AM »
Hello Everyone!  Newbie here and looking for answers on this.

I've owned the now discontinued Crimson II SE for a couple years now and I've been quite happy with it.   

However I just bought BFD3 on their massive sale (Can't pass up $50!) wanting some more richer sounds that I could maybe use in a live setting. But I have come across a big issue, that I've seen all over that is is an issue, but cannot find an answer on how to fix it.

That's right, the dreaded Hi-Hat that is permanently stuck on Midi note 8.   

Knowing that InMusic now owns BFD3 I thought that they would have some sort of setting to fix this issue so people can own one of their kits to use it with ease.  Alas, that is not the case - even though they have the Crimson in auto-mapping.

Is there a workaround?
If there is, can I get a video tutorial on how to fix it  - or a writeup so basic that makes me feel like i'm 5?
Did I just waste money on BFD3 and it won't work at all? 
Do I have to try and track down a used Pro-X hi-hat or an off brand that will make it work?
Should I just drop the grand and get the Strike module?

Any advice would help.

First off, welcome to the forum!

I don't own the Crimson II or BFD3, but I would think there is a way to manually map midi notes within the software for each instrument. I just did a quick google search and found this:

https://www.fxpansion.com/webmanuals/bfd3/operationmanual/index.html?midi_key_mapping.htm

I hope that helps.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 08:04:01 AM by Hellfire »

Offline Chaser

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2022, 10:02:02 AM »
Welcome to the Forum !

I No longer have the Crimson II module (Medeli DD650).
I do have some of the original Crimson modules but the MIDI mapping is entirely different.

Alesis knew of the same MIDI note being tied to the Hi Hat in the Crimson II (Medeli DD650) and it was also the same in the DM10 MKII Studio (Discontinued) and there apparently was a workaround in a Logic-X Topic,which all this information was deleted from the "Get Satisfaction" Forum years ago and current knowledge base as it is being rewritten.

Basically you assigned Note 9 and this allowed the Hi Hat to send separate MIDI notes for Open/closed.
BFD has MIDI Maps for a large number of modules now..reassign the MIDI Note in the module and use MIDI learn in BFD then SAVE the map.

I posted all the info in this Topic...no one posted/responded confirming one way or the other.
Please post if it does or does not work for you.

"Notice in the Default Assignments sections above, that the Hi-Hat Open and Hi-Hat Closed triggers both send a MIDI Message of #8 or G#-2.
Because of this any software will be unable to distinguish between the hi-hat open and hi-hat closed triggers.
Before we can map the functionality of the trigger, we must assign a different MIDI message to one of these functions.

Press the Menu button on your module, then toggle down to Trigger and press Enter to enter the Trigger Settings menu.
    Use the knob to change the selected trigger to Hi-Hat.
    Press the Down button and select MIDI Note.
    Use the Data Dial (big knob) to change the assigned MIDI note.

In most cases, and for this example, MIDI note 009 (or A-2) will work.

From here, you have manually adjusted the MIDI assignment for the open Hi-hat within your module!
Your Open & closed positions will be sending  separate MIDI messages."

I don't know why the statement "In most cases" as later on the instructions go into actual mapping of the Software.
The only reason I can think of is there may have been a firmware change somewhere along the timeline of the Crimson II.

I would try setting the Hi Hat to MIDI note 009 in the module and see if that does work and the module does send individual notes...the rest is remapping the Software/Vst or using MIDI learn if the Software/Vst has that feature.

As for BFD...Inmusic acquired FXpansion from Roli (Fxpansion became a subsidiary of Roli in 2016) who had done nothing with it for years and the reboot has been a mess..to say the least.
The focus has been on DRM and the License Manager ,requiring you to log in,online check, after 90 days or it will stop working etc etc.The software went from FXpansion to Inmusic BFD as of v3.4.
Previous FXpansion users are required to re-download/license all purchased expansions, previous FXpansion account numbers etc etc.Expansions not being recognized..3rd party expansion Licensing expired.FXpansion BFD Data/Knowledge base deleted.
You can read all about it on their Forum.
The BFD Player is scheduled to be released early 2023.

EDIT:
Added updated post/Topic from Alesis Knowledge base..NOV 15,2022...still recommending changing Hi Hat Open to MIDI Note 009
The Topic is for mapping in Drum designer..same procedure applies to all drum software/Vst.

Alesis Crimson II | Mapping the Crimson II Hi-Hat in Logic Pro X
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 05:31:29 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 03:15:52 AM »
Welcome to the Forum !

I do have some of the original Crimson modules but the MIDI mapping is entirely different.

Alesis knew of the same MIDI note being tied to the Hi Hat in the Crimson II (Medeli DD650) and it was also the same in the DM10 MKII Studio (Discontinued) and there apparently was a workaround in a Logic-X Topic,which all this information was deleted from the "Get Satisfaction" Forum years ago and current knowledge base as it is being rewritten.

Basically you assigned Note 9 and this allowed the Hi Hat to send separate MIDI notes for Open/closed.
BFD has MIDI Maps for a large number of modules now..reassign the MIDI Note in the module and use MIDI learn in BFD then SAVE the map.......

THANK YOU SO MUCH!  I have been looking for this info for a while and I could not find it anywhere!

I truly appreciate this - I got it working quite well - now its just adjusting the sensitivity...  But that I know how to do LOL!

Offline Chaser

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2022, 02:40:53 PM »
Welcome to the Forum !

BFD has MIDI Maps for a large number of modules now..reassign the MIDI Note in the module and use MIDI learn in BFD then SAVE the map.......

THANK YOU SO MUCH!  I have been looking for this info for a while and I could not find it anywhere!

I truly appreciate this - I got it working quite well - now its just adjusting the sensitivity...  But that I know how to do LOL!

Thanks for the confirmation!..That's great news for Crimson II users.

BFD
Modules generally show MIDI numbers instead of Notes and depending on Manufacturer can be different Octaves..
and if you haven't memorized all the different MIDI Number/Note Ocatve tables..
In BFD Go to :
Tools..Show Preferences..MIDI
Check the Box for "Use MIDI Numbers rather than Notes"..
Octave Numbering Scheme..set to -2.
Everything should now be accurate for the Crimson II (Medeli DD650)
You can also set the profile (the bottom left) for usage.
This should be based on your system...default is "Standard Over 2GB Ram" but you can set much lower..or much Higher

Since the MIDI now works for the Crimson II Hi Hat..

Follow these guidelines in this link.You will be able to really dial the Hi Hat in..

Using Electronic Drumkits in BFD3

« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 02:43:39 PM by Chaser »