Author Topic: RealHat Pedal only continuous when nearly pressed  (Read 868 times)

RealHat Pedal only continuous when nearly pressed
« on: March 17, 2022, 09:39:16 AM »
Hello,

I have a RealHat Pedal on my Command Mesh and I cannot handle it properly.

I have read some other posts where users are complaining about the pedal, but nothing really solved my problem.
From what I have read, it is a continuous pedal, which offers open, closed and all sounds between.
The closed and open sounds are no problem, but the in-between sounds (half-closed/half open) are nearly impossible to play.
All the way from open to nearly closed nothing happends. The sound is always open.
Then, a few millimeters before the pedal is completely pressed down, the sounds starts to change. One millimeter more and the pedal is closed.
I have changed the (splash-)sensitivity and the curve of both the hihat and the pedal, but nothing helped.
Does it really have to be that sensitive? Is this the desired behavior of the pedal? During playing it is impossible for me to hit the exact point where the sounds starts changing and then the gap between half open and closed is ridiculously small.

I have read about the HiHat 5 minute fix here in this forum where I can reduce the travel before the pedal is closed. I will try that in addition, but I cannot figure out how to get rid of the other problem.

Offline Chaser

Re: RealHat Pedal only continuous when nearly pressed
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2022, 11:21:36 AM »
Hello,

I have a RealHat Pedal on my Command Mesh and I cannot handle it properly.

I have read some other posts where users are complaining about the pedal, but nothing really solved my problem.
From what I have read, it is a continuous pedal, which offers open, closed and all sounds between.
The closed and open sounds are no problem, but the in-between sounds (half-closed/half open) are nearly impossible to play.
All the way from open to nearly closed nothing happends. The sound is always open.
Then, a few millimeters before the pedal is completely pressed down, the sounds starts to change. One millimeter more and the pedal is closed.
I have changed the (splash-)sensitivity and the curve of both the hihat and the pedal, but nothing helped.
Does it really have to be that sensitive? Is this the desired behavior of the pedal? During playing it is impossible for me to hit the exact point where the sounds starts changing and then the gap between half open and closed is ridiculously small.

I have read about the HiHat 5 minute fix here in this forum where I can reduce the travel before the pedal is closed. I will try that in addition, but I cannot figure out how to get rid of the other problem.

The Realhat pedal using a linear softpot.It has a rubber activator which basically rolls down a pressure strip and requires constant pressure.
The 5 Min Fix helps reduce the pedal gap/travel as nothing will happen until pressure is applied.
It takes some getting used to and a little finesse.Try putting you foot up higher on the pedal.

The Command Module is based on the Medeli DD650.
The Alesis Crimson/II/Command/DM10 MKII Studio/Forge modules all have different firmware and different hardware/kit pieces which is what separates them.
The firmware version for the Command Module does not have 1/2 open or send MIDI note for it..only open-closed and the open-closed transition will depend on the sample pool in the Hi Hat Combinations.
There are 14 hi-hat combination voices. (630-643) and 36 individual voices (408-443).

Command Mesh Kit - Kit & Voice List

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2022, 04:50:41 PM »
So, as far as I understand this is working as intended? Usually this is not a real problem for me by now, because I barely use the transitions. Just wanted to make sure there is nothing wrong with the pedal.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2022, 08:02:41 PM »
So, as far as I understand this is working as intended? Usually this is not a real problem for me by now, because I barely use the transitions. Just wanted to make sure there is nothing wrong with the pedal.

If you can do all of the following...it's working properly

Open Hi-Hat
Strike the Hi-Hat pad without pressing the pedal.

Closed Hi-Hat
Strike the Hi-Hat pad with the pedal pressed completely down.

Hi-Hat Pedal (Chick)
Press down the hi-hat controller?s pedal to create a foot-close sound without having to strike the hi-hat pad.

Splash
Pedal fully pressed and then instantly releasing it...or a sharp down/up.

You should also to be to make it "Bark" with minimal effort/practice.

You can adjust the Pedal under the Trigger menu and set the sensitivity and experiment with different curves..

Also one of the biggest complaints about the Medeli modules is they may seem quiet..
The EQ's are for Amplitude.Under the Kit Menu are the EQ settings..raise them evenly.
Default is Flat/0.. High is +4 , so try 8-LOW..8-MID..12 for High as a starting point..this is the max balanced setting.
It will get loud so be careful if using headphones.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 08:05:52 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2022, 04:35:52 AM »
Thanks, Chaser, that's a good explanation!
Now I get the picture. So, mine is working as it should.