Author Topic: Gigging with the Strike Kit  (Read 2997 times)

Offline Iggford

Gigging with the Strike Kit
« on: October 06, 2017, 01:51:13 PM »
So, I've been mulling over a couple of different ideas for upgrading my kit after the first of the year.  My first (and I thought my best at the time) idea was to upgrade to the Mimic Pro module, and then over time, switch out pads. 

After giving the Strike kit a second look and seeing some of the demos, I think I'm going to go with the Alesis once again.  I can get a full-kit upgrade for about what I would have to pay for just the Mimic Pro.

Now, my question is... Has anyone used the Strike for playing out yet?  I know it is going to be larger than my current setup, but that's not my real concern.  My concern is transporting it.  I think I have added some unnecessary wear and tear to my DM10 kit because of it being moved around so much, and I just want to make sure I can preserve the new kit a little better. 

I've already bought a hard case (from Harbor Freight, a suggestion I found on this forum), so I know the module will be protected.  I just want to make sure I keep the pads protected as well. 

Does anyone have any case/bag ideas for transporting the kit to gigs?  In most cases, it will only be going between our practice space and wherever we play, only coming home with me occasionally, as I will have my DM10 kit at home to practice on.

I've been looking for the best and most cost-effective solution, but I thought I'd see if anyone has been through this yet.

Thanks for your help!

--Shawn.

Re: Gigging with the Strike Kit
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 09:15:28 AM »
Just because no one ever answered.

I've been gigging with my Strike Pro. The rack I just mutilated/augmented with my old Gibraltar Rack pieces, so I have shorter arms, and actual horizontal leg bars. This just folds up. I leave the cabling attached and I"m just careful with the wires hanging off it.

I borrow the cases I use for my acoustic kit. I have Ahead brand bags, that are very plush inside. I can fit the two 14" pads and the ride cymbal in a 14 x 12 floor tom bag, separated with moving pad that I cut down. Same with the other drums and cymbals, sharing bags separated by moving pad bits. Hard case for the module.

The kick drum I'm using is my Pearl Traveller mesh head/trigger mashup, in it's own case. I still pack around the Alesis kick for backup, but I don't have a case for it yet. It would fit in a Salvation Army suitcase. Yard sale, etc. 

Offline stylazyn

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2022, 03:27:26 PM »

I've been gigging with my Strike Pro. The rack I just mutilated/augmented with my old Gibraltar Rack pieces, so I have shorter arms, and actual horizontal leg bars. This just folds up. I leave the cabling attached and I"m just careful with the wires hanging off it.

I borrow the cases I use for my acoustic kit. I have Ahead brand bags, that are very plush inside. I can fit the two 14" pads and the ride cymbal in a 14 x 12 floor tom bag, separated with moving pad that I cut down. Same with the other drums and cymbals, sharing bags separated by moving pad bits. Hard case for the module.

What case size did you get? I am pricing Pelican cases and they are not cheap.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2022, 02:34:08 PM »

What case size did you get? I am pricing Pelican cases and they are not cheap.

"Case"..so you are looking for a single case for transport?
Have you considered an ATA case?.I don't know where you are located or how you transport..rack separately assembled..as a band with a pickup/van and have extra bodies to help or individually etc.The soft cases designed specifically for E-drums are  in most cases too small for the STRIKE series with 14" drums etc..and while they are a little bit lighter can be just as expensive as hard cases and don't offer the same amount of protection from gear being crushed.
For alternative "Soft" cases.. Check this topic

I have a dozen or so very large ATA cases from over the years from 20UP to guitar vaults that stack up/interlock.
You think Pelican is expensive..I have Anvil "Iron" series that are World Tour grade (welded cage) and they were $2K for a 4 UP 30 years ago..
For reasonably priced Hard/ATA cases check Roadcases..

Here is an example...med duty 42 x 15 x 18 for under 400..FREE shipping..even cross country NY to CA.

I use the smaller black packing/moving blankets from HarborFreight..they work excellent .

Offline stylazyn

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2022, 08:24:00 AM »
I found this that could work to carry the Strike module with the mount attached to the bottom.

https://www.amazon.com/Business-Briefcase-Waterproof-Expandable-Ultrabook/dp/B0793LZN5K/ref=psdc_9971584011_t5_B07D7RX49K