Author Topic: My Strike Pro, almost a year in...  (Read 1904 times)

Offline Iggford

My Strike Pro, almost a year in...
« on: February 04, 2019, 09:56:55 AM »
Hey, guys,

Haven't posted any pics in a while.  We played our favorite metal sculpting studio (ok, it's our ONLY metal sculpting studio) over the past weekend, and I snapped a couple pics during setup.  We were running ahead of schedule, so we took a break, so I was able to get a clear shot with no one blocking the equipment. 

It was funny, I knew I need to clean up the kit a bit from dust and all the fun stuff from playing out, but they always seem to collect another month's worth in this place.  I noticed, after taking the pics, that I'm now REALLY past due for a cleaning!

We had a great show, and I'm going to get some video posted somewhere of a couple songs really soon.

--
Shawn.

Offline AlanK

Re: My Strike Pro, almost a year in...
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 09:21:13 AM »
Wow, Shawn, super incredible man. Your set looks totally awesome and professional! Is that the hi-hat top cymbal you've got there to the left of the ride? What's it like to play on a shop floor? Must be a kind of post-apocalyptic look with the lighting once the music is thrashing.. for the finale do you set off those acetylene tanks?? lol  can't wait to see/hear some videos!
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Iggford

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 10:41:04 AM »
It's an awesome venue for us.  This was our third time playing there.  The last time, there was this massive metal sculpture above the back corner.  I was really hoping it was secure, because it was right behind me.  I like the concrete floor, though, because I don't have ANY of the weird triggering issues that I would have on some wooden stages.  We have one place that you can tell saved some money on their stage.  It's very hollow, and I always have to adjust my trigger settings when we play there.  The only thing I wish we had there is darkness during the show.  It would really allow our stage lights to create some amazing effects, but due to regulations, they can't dim the overhead lights. 

Yes, that's my top hi-hat cymbal.  I use it as a splash between my ride and china.  I've actually set up with my Gen16 ride and crash (in place of the china), but I haven't had a chance to tinker with it to try to get the sound dialed in.  I'll post those pics when I know it's gonna be a permanent setup. 

I'm trying to get video done so I can share, but I ran out of space on my hard drive, so I can't download all the files I need.  Got an additional one coming today or tomorrow, so hopefully I can get some video done and posted over the weekend!

--
Shawn

Offline AlanK

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 02:13:47 PM »
I imagine lighting would also not be an option if you were playing some "jailhouse" rock.. I bet they don't let anyone dim the lights in prison.. got any gigs coming up at the penitentiary?? lol
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Iggford

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 11:20:45 AM »
LOL..  None so far!  Although, I think that would be an awesome venue.  There are some really unique places around us, so time will tell.  :)

Yeah, full lights on at all times on that one, too, though!  That takes "playing in bars" to a whole different level!  ;D

Offline AlanK

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 07:24:04 PM »
LOL, or playing "behind" bars?

We're playing at a legion in a few weeks for one of our guitarist's 50th.. I wonder if there'll be like 15 people there  :)

Offline Iggford

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 03:25:31 PM »
LOL, guess we'll have to cover some appropriate songs, besides "Folsom Prison Blues!"

We played at a local Elks lodge here back in August of last year.  We were really expecting about the same thing, but holy crap, it was a packed house.  They booked us for a November gig before we were even finished playing, and we've got two coming up this year.  We're hoping it will lead to some other shows down the road.

I guess it goes to show that you never know what kind of crowd you're going to have.  Not knowing a lot about the Lodge, we expected a bunch of 80-something guys sitting around.  It turned out to be one of our best crowds, a very diverse mix of people and ages.

The funny thing about playing out, though, is how surprising a crowd can be.  We can't get a good, solid following in our home town of Greensboro, NC.  But if we travel 30 miles west to Winston-Salem and the surrounding areas, we have people coming back to see us multiple times.  Some of these connections have led to other gigs, but at the very least, it's nice to see people enjoying what we do and wanting to see more.

I'm coming up on four years in this band, my first band experience.  There's not a show that we play that doesn't surprise me in some way.  I can't imagine ever getting tired of that feeling.

--
Shawn.