Author Topic: Is it easy to upgrade a Strike kit, to a Strike Pro kit, later?  (Read 1026 times)

Offline cleverest

Is this possible? Not feasible? Strongly considering starting without the Pro version, just to get a working kit going, but don't want to handicap myself later and not be able to expand. Any tips/suggestions on this is much appreciated.

Re: Is it easy to upgrade a Strike kit, to a Strike Pro kit, later?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 01:17:58 AM »
Yes, quite easy. The module is the exact same and you get all the cables. You can buy the expansion set sparate later if you want or just do what I did and piece together what you want from eBay or wherever.

The only thing is that the pro comes with one longer track piece, so you might start to run into space problems.

I stated with just the normal strike kit (at the time it was called the strike zone. They have since dropped the "zone"from the name)

Offline cleverest

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 10:22:44 AM »
Yes, quite easy. The module is the exact same and you get all the cables. You can buy the expansion set sparate later if you want or just do what I did and piece together what you want from eBay or wherever.

The only thing is that the pro comes with one longer track piece, so you might start to run into space problems.

I stated with just the normal strike kit (at the time it was called the strike zone. They have since dropped the "zone"from the name)

Thank you! Is that image attached your set? Is that without the expansion track piece or with it?

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 11:05:33 AM »
Yes, thats mine.  And I meant to write "rack" piece.  Haha.  Its the piece on the right that you get a bigger one  with the strike pro.  I'm a big fan of the 3 up 1 down configuration, so the shorter piece doesn't bug me at all.

Offline cleverest

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 11:20:24 AM »
Yes, thats mine.  And I meant to write "rack" piece.  Haha.  Its the piece on the right that you get a bigger one  with the strike pro.  I'm a big fan of the 3 up 1 down configuration, so the shorter piece doesn't bug me at all.

Looks good to me, can't really see the elevation difference in that photo due to the angle...is it extreme?

What mods have you done to your set? Tape mod on all sensors, any Hi-Hat felt stuff, etc...just wondering how DIY I'm going to have to get with all the complaints on it I've read... :-\

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 11:52:03 AM »
The rack arm difference is length, not height. I'm sure you can look around with Google and find actual length measurements.

As for mods, I've done very little. I don't know what the tape mid, so I don't think I've done that. I use the Roland vh11 top with the strike controller (original spring, no mod, works perfectly) for hihat because the edge sensor is garbage. I use the strike hat top as a splash, and I made a cloning y cable so the cymbal on the far right is the exact same as my hihats for when I want to play open handed.  I have splitters on toms 1 2 and 3.

I did have to get a new module on an rma because mine had pretty much no volume, but that was quick and easy. 

Like my post in the mimic topic, there are a few warts, but it's been pretty awesome for me

Offline cleverest

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 02:33:06 PM »
The rack arm difference is length, not height. I'm sure you can look around with Google and find actual length measurements.

As for mods, I've done very little. I don't know what the tape mid, so I don't think I've done that. I use the Roland vh11 top with the strike controller (original spring, no mod, works perfectly) for hihat because the edge sensor is garbage. I use the strike hat top as a splash, and I made a cloning y cable so the cymbal on the far right is the exact same as my hihats for when I want to play open handed.  I have splitters on toms 1 2 and 3.

I did have to get a new module on an rma because mine had pretty much no volume, but that was quick and easy. 

Like my post in the mimic topic, there are a few warts, but it's been pretty awesome for me

Cool, thanks for taking the time and explaining all that. I may pick up some VH11's so I have a better Hi-Hat experience. I've heard good things about it but wasn't sure how they worked with the Strike kit.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 03:48:51 PM by cleverest »

Offline cleverest

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 03:43:11 PM »

What are your thoughts on this post about the VH11? https://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=7932.0

The trouble they are having...did you have that? How did you fix it? I'm seriously thinking about ordering the VH11 with my Strike and not even bother with their hi-hat, but wondering what else I need to do once I have it connected...is it just plug and play with those hats?

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 04:27:28 PM »
That thread sounds like they just need to adjust their offset send pedal curve settings.  You'll see what I mean when you get yours. For pedal settings I use 00 offset and log 3 curve and it works just how I like. Everyone is different, but that's how it works for me. Be sure to use both pieces on the bottom and connect all cables (don't forget the tiny one). The strike pro group on Facebook is very helpful as well

Offline cleverest

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2019, 04:40:02 PM »
Awesome, thanks again! Good info!

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2019, 06:14:39 PM »
https://youtu.be/XTDZhkSvKeI

Go to 4:25 to see how to set up your physical hihats. As I said, I just use a vh11 top and the whole strike bottom
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 12:59:40 AM by thebigz »

Offline Iggford

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2019, 09:06:05 AM »
To be clear on that thread, I did eventually get my VH-11 working almost perfectly (forgot to post that update).  My "downfall" with the whole thing is that I had, in the meantime, begun to use a Gen16 A/E hi-hat that I had bought right before upgrading to the Strike. 

While the VH-11 worked really well for me, it couldn't match the dynamics I get from the Gen16.  At least for me it couldn't.  I ended up parting with it, because it's very rare that I use the electronic hat any more, and I found someone in need of a solution.  It is serving a better purpose than sitting on a shelf in my house.

I actually found that the RealHat pedal from my DM10 kit works amazingly well with the Strike module.  So, if we play a small venue that the Gen16 will be too loud for (which MAY be once or twice a year), I bring that pedal with me, along with the top cymbal from the Strike hat.

--
Shawn