Author Topic: Crimson 2: Editing HiHat  (Read 3737 times)

Crimson 2: Editing HiHat
« on: February 29, 2020, 11:14:22 AM »
Hi at all,

i got the Alesis Crimson 2 Kit a few weeks ago and until now i was pretty happy with it. (And since a few days my neighbor too.) But today i started to play around a bit with custom samples and triggering and ran into the same issue like many other Alesis customers: Configuring the hihat. So, yes, i used Google quite a lot but i couldn't figure out how to solve my problems.

So i have 2 questions, which i think are related.

1st: How do you set in a user kit with custom samples the open and close sounds. Setting the open sound (just hitting the hihat pad) is no problem but how do i set the closed sound (foot pedal + hitting the pad) as i don't see an entry for this?

2nd: How can i change the midi number for the closed hihat? Doing re-mapping in the software is not really an option as i would like to trigger not just plug-ins in the daw but other external hardware as well. (Overall i think changing this midi number is a basic.)

Thanks and regards
gisogrisu

Offline Chaser

Re: Crimson 2: Editing HiHat
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 12:04:43 PM »
Hi at all,

i got the Alesis Crimson 2 Kit a few weeks ago and until now i was pretty happy with it. (And since a few days my neighbor too.) But today i started to play around a bit with custom samples and triggering and ran into the same issue like many other Alesis customers: Configuring the hihat. So, yes, i used Google quite a lot but i couldn't figure out how to solve my problems.

So i have 2 questions, which i think are related.

1st: How do you set in a user kit with custom samples the open and close sounds. Setting the open sound (just hitting the hihat pad) is no problem but how do i set the closed sound (foot pedal + hitting the pad) as i don't see an entry for this?

2nd: How can i change the midi number for the closed hihat? Doing re-mapping in the software is not really an option as i would like to trigger not just plug-ins in the daw but other external hardware as well. (Overall i think changing this midi number is a basic.)

Thanks and regards
gisogrisu

Welcome to the Forum!
Scroll thru the voices and you'll see ...HiHat...HH-P (pedal)...HH-S (splash).
You can assign custom samples but you have to do it to all 3.
You can't mix samples with the "Hi Hat Combinations" (630-643)...they are locked to the Hi Hat components..you select one..it is applied to all three...any other sample added won't save.
These are for a continuos/variable pedal Realhat(linear potentiometer)or Pro-X(FSR).
The Crimson II can be set to support the Pro-X(FSR)
There are other Hi Hat samples (408-443) in groups of 4 that can be mixed/matched or assigned to other triggers and be saved.
https://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=8386.msg53645#msg53645
To change MIDI notes go into the menu>trigger settings...HiHat...HH-P (pedal)...HH-S (splash).

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 12:14:39 PM »
Thanks, i will check what your mentioned regarding the samples but i think there was a misunderstanding with the midi numbers.
What i want to do is to change the number for the closed hihat, so the number 8. I checked it with a midi monitor, i can change the open hihat number, let's say to 56. But when i press the foot pedal and then hit the hihat i still get the number 8. And in this special case it has to be number 50

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 12:24:35 PM »
And same with the samples. :)

Offline Chaser

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 12:29:31 PM »
Thanks, i will check what your mentioned regarding the samples but i think there was a misunderstanding with the midi numbers.
What i want to do is to change the number for the closed hihat, so the number 8. I checked it with a midi monitor, i can change the open hihat number, let's say to 56. But when i press the foot pedal and then hit the hihat i still get the number 8. And in this special case it has to be number 50

If you read the link I attached..

"One other thing to note is the MIDI note for open closed on the Crimson II and the DM10 MKII Studio are tied to one note for sending CC info (note 08)"...You can't change it.

Alesis(Medeli) programmed just these 2 modules for this..I don't know why just these 2 modules.
it's not this way in the Crimson or the others.

Couple topics for the Crimson II ...midi note 08 and solutions/mapping.
Depends on what software you are using you could probably do a similar work around
https://getsatisfaction.com/alesis/searches?query=Crimson+ii+sends+midi+note+08&x=0&y=0&style=topics
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 12:52:40 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 12:38:17 PM »
Whoops, i didn't see the link.

Well, that's a bummer. Actually i'm not sure anymore if i will keep the kit.

But thanks for your help.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 12:45:13 PM »
Whoops, i didn't see the link.

Well, that's a bummer. Actually i'm not sure anymore if i will keep the kit.

But thanks for your help.
I added a couple links above...must have posted simultaneously...you are going to have to check and see if you can do custom mapping... midi note 50 is usually a high Tom...

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2020, 03:29:40 AM »
Morning. Well, as i said, workarounds aren't really an option as i would like to trigger some external hardware as well. But i think i can forget this.

And the same with the samples. In the above posted link ( https://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=8386.msg53645#msg53645 ) they talk about factory samples. But what i want to do (and i consider this as a basic) is to use my own samples. Is there somewhere an explanation how to create own "Hi Hat Combinations"?

Offline Chaser

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2020, 12:25:43 PM »
Morning. Well, as i said, workarounds aren't really an option as i would like to trigger some external hardware as well. But i think i can forget this.

You can route the MIDI note with software.(Cantible,Gig Performer..AUM,Audiobus etc) if you are not using anything (iPad/Laptop etc) in your rig look into a standalone programmable MIDI Patchbay.

And the same with the samples. In the above posted link ( https://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=8386.msg53645#msg53645 ) they talk about factory samples. But what i want to do (and i consider this as a basic) is to use my own samples. Is there somewhere an explanation how to create own "Hi Hat Combinations"?

"Hi Hat Combinations" aren't "basic".They are complex.There is a reason drum modules only have one Hi Hat input tied to the HH Controller input
and don't allow Factory Combinations to be mixed or replaced.A complete Hi hat is made up of multiple samples,velocity ranges etc.
The module deciphers the position/voltage of the pedal,hit velocity,when to splash it etc.

This module like the majority of the "add your own custom samples" modules, allows you to load your own custom sample(s) with restrictions.
The Crimson II you can load 1 sample/voice per trigger with a maximum size of 15 MB or 15MB TOTAL per kit...that's it.
Each sample must be a 16-bit WAV file and have a sampling rate of 48, 44.1, 32, 22.05, or 11.025 kHz.
Samples that you have loaded to the drum module can only be deleted all at once.
In other words,if you have loaded multiple samples into a kit (or to multiple kits), you cannot delete only one of your samples; you must delete all of them.

There are very few drum modules that are capable of constructing a multi-sample Full Range Hi Hat .examples:STRIKE,2-Box Drummit