Author Topic: Long term goal is a Pearl Mimic Pro Module, but I need pads...  (Read 1445 times)

Offline cleverest

Obviously want mesh, assuming I end up with the Mimic Pro Module eventually...are the strike pads way better than the DM10 MKII pads? It's way more, but thinking if it makes that big of a difference with this module....

Any suggestions appreciated.

Offline cleverest

Re: Long term goal is a Pearl Mimic Pro Module, but I need pads...
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 03:44:30 PM »
In the effort to save even more and end up eventually with the Pearl Mimic Pro, would that Command Mesh kit still work and be amazing with that module, or am I really missing out on something significant with that amazing module by going to cheap on the pads? What exactly? Thanks, this is my first Ekit, and I want it to be a great one, without spending many thousands (until I get the module that is)

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 11:31:07 PM »
The bigger the pads, the more fun you'll have playing.  If you're going to end up with a Mimic, you don't want to cheap out on the pads - it'll work, but you won't be happy.

As a side note, I bought a Strike about 2 months after release, upgraded to the Mimic, then just went back to the Strike.  Both have their pros and cons.  Maybe if you get the
Strike you'll love it and you can be done there.

Offline cleverest

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 12:15:45 AM »
Thanks, I'll probably get the Strike, just not the Pro - can't swing that with the payments required at zzounds, but the Strike I can get and save $300+ on the initial payment, so at least that's something...I'll miss the extra drums though, but at least it's at THAT level..

I'm surprised you went back to strike...everyone seems to rave about the pearl Mimic Pro, even compared to the Strike Module...may I ask, what made you go back to that module? Just trying to learn more...thanks.

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 01:21:00 AM »
I'll get back to you in the next day or two. Keep an eye on this thread because I'm just going to edit this post.  I've started answering your question a few times, but it keeps sounding like I'm bashing the mimic, which I'm not, the mimic is great

Edit:  Here we go.  Let me know if you have any more questions.

The mimic is the best sounding module on the market for sure.  There is a noticeable difference between the Mimic and the Strike.  For me, its the ease of use and flexibility of the strike that brought me back. 

The Mimic is basically designed for sound engineers.  It's a full on audio console with loads of options to do whatever you want with your sound (multiple mics per instrument, multiple ways to adjust your sound, etc).  You have to have a pretty strong background to use the Mimic properly.  You can also get lost in the menus tweaking stuff pretty easily.

The Strike sounds are great and are easy to work with - you don't have to worry about adjusting direct mic, room mic, overhead mic, top/bottom mic, then adjust the EQ, attack, sustain, and release for each mic for each instrument you want to edit.  There are a few parameters on the Strike to mess with and for me, thats plenty.

The Strike is also a lot more flexible of a platform.  Pearl/Slate have talked about releasing an editor ever since it was released, but that is still in the works (who knows if its even in the plans).  The Strike has a great editor on the computer where you can import multi layer samples and have total control over how the instrument works.  For me this is huge because I like importing stuff.  The mimic is limited to one shot samples at the moment and while thats great for a sound effect or something, it is not so great for drums (although if you know what you're doing, you could get almost any drum sound you want out of the Mimic.

Further and something that is really big for me is that you can have 2 sound layers on every zone on the strike.  The Mimic only lets you layer the snare and bass.

I feel like with the Strike you are getting 90% of the sound quality of the mimic, but its so much easier to use.

Lastly, the Mimic is way more expensive.

All of this said, I'm in the minority here.  I only know of one other person that went back to the strike after having a Mimic (Siren Drums on youtube).  The Strike definitely has its warts (200mb per kit comes to mind, although thats more of a soft cap - the stock hihats are also not so great), but once you learn to work with what the Strike is awesome!

Just be ready, because there is a fair chance you'll need to RMA something when your Strike shows up.  Call Alesis if this happens, don't email.  They are VERY fast to send replacement anything if you talk to them on the phone.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 11:19:49 AM by thebigz »

Offline cleverest

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 10:23:39 AM »
I'll get back to you in the next day or two. Keep an eye on this thread because I'm just going to edit this post.  I've started answering your question a few times, but it keeps sounding like I'm bashing the mimic, which I'm not, the mimic is great

Great, I'm excited to learn more...I plan to order some stuff in two days :-)

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 04:28:22 PM »
I put my thoughts in my post above

Offline cleverest

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 04:57:05 PM »
I put my thoughts in my post above

Super helpful! THANKS! I believe I will start with Strike (not pro) the New Strike Amp 12, a drum throne, hi-hat stand, a 6x4 drum mat, (drums will be in the basement) and a prayer for luck, LOL.

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 05:21:13 PM »
Best of luck. When you get it all working right, it's an absolute gem!

Offline cleverest

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 01:31:33 PM »
Best of luck. When you get it all working right, it's an absolute gem!

It's ordered...non-pro version...also got a nice gel drum mat cause it's going in a basement with hard floors.  I'm so excited! Any way to tell if they send the latest generation kit? I don't want the first from some old back-stock because they fixed stuff...vendor was indifferent to my request to find out. :-(

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2019, 07:08:22 PM »
If you look on the Facebook group this has been discussed. I don't know because I've never had any problems in the last 2 years, so I haven't bothered to learn the difference. I assume if the module comes with firmware 1.4 you probably have the most current stuff

Offline cleverest

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2019, 01:47:44 AM »
I found out that the newer ones include a snare stand, and also the hi hat spring is CLEAR, not black...if it's black, Alesis will send you the new one, so that helps. :-)

Offline Purpledc

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2019, 01:44:30 PM »
I found out that the newer ones include a snare stand, and also the hi hat spring is CLEAR, not black...if it's black, Alesis will send you the new one, so that helps. :-)

Both the strike and strike pro have come with a snare stand since the beginning.  The stand it does not come with is a hi hat stand. The easiest way to tell what generation kit you have is to shine a bright light into the kick drum.   The older kit the kick drum foam pad inside is a stacked column of 4 or 5 circular foam discs and only foam.   The newer kits come with a large white plastic base in the kick and a foam pad that is semi round but more oval.  There are other ways to tell but it usually just confuses people and the kit gets misidentified.   

Offline cleverest

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2019, 03:27:24 PM »

Both the strike and strike pro have come with a snare stand since the beginning.  The stand it does not come with is a hi hat stand. The easiest way to tell what generation kit you have is to shine a bright light into the kick drum.   The older kit the kick drum foam pad inside is a stacked column of 4 or 5 circular foam discs and only foam.   The newer kits come with a large white plastic base in the kick and a foam pad that is semi round but more oval.  There are other ways to tell but it usually just confuses people and the kit gets misidentified.

Thanks that is very helpful!