Author Topic: Roland Td17  (Read 3840 times)

Online Hellfire

Re: Roland Td17
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 07:33:00 PM »
Roland Td17 and new Triggers
https://www.kosmic.com.au/drums/electronic-kits/roland-td-17/ showed

3 different models of the TD17, 1400 1800 and 2400 Australian dollar. KL  KV (all mesh and 12" snare) and the final with a high hat pedal as well.  Sounds very customizable, and based on the TD50 sound module, imports wav, transients, etc  additional VH10 hihat, KD10 kick, new 12" snare and new shell kick.

Converted to USD TD-17 Kit
-1800USD
-1350USD
-1050USD

You were almost the first to post about the TD-17. You might want to see this post:

http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=7667.msg51318#msg51318

If you are logged in you will also see a picture.

BTW, your link doesn't go anywhere.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 10:21:49 AM »
Roland announces new The new TD-17 series combines flagship-level sound with newly developed pads. The playing experience is very close to playing an acoustic kit, accurately mirroring the physical movement, stick coordination, and hand/foot control that every drummer needs. It’s a perfect digital drum kit for serious skill building at home too, thanks to its authentic playability, onboard coach function, Bluetooth connectivity and more.

TD-17 Series: https://www.roland.com/us/products/td-17_series/
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 01:17:39 PM by Chaser »

Online ChrisK

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 01:12:21 PM »
delete see my main post edited.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 03:33:29 PM by ChrisK »

Online AlanK

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 11:53:00 AM »
I don't know.. all but the flagship Roland's still look like toy kits to me, no matter how great they play or sound or how awesome the module is.. I'm in it for the whole experience and I want a full-blown kit that looks cool and plays well enough. My DM10X tricked out does that for the time being  :)
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline VandalX

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 01:09:06 PM »
Would it have killed them to ditch the cable snake and have separate ins for each pad? I'd pay a little premium for that functionality.
Alesis DM 10 MKII Pro (with Tama Iron Cobra double). Pearl Export acoustic. Fostex VF160EX Digital multitrack (16). Fostex monitors. Roland TR-626 drum machine. Roland Juno 106 Poly synth. Aria Knight Warrior. Peavy Fury. Digitech GNX3000. Digitech RP360. Tascam Porta 05 four track. MacBook Air.

Offline Purpledc

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 06:40:13 PM »
the samples sounded of high quality.  But didn't seem to have many velocities. Sounded like a popcorn machine to me on the metal kits.  still its gonna sell like bonkers.   

Online ChrisK

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 09:07:14 PM »
the samples sounded of high quality.  But didn't seem to have many velocities. Sounded like a popcorn machine to me on the metal kits.  still its gonna sell like bonkers.

Sound came from TD-50 and refurbish sound from past flagship, it still sound Roland.. yes repeat sound are there, but Roland for the first time, they used sound from flagship to lower level, this should replace td11.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2018, 10:27:18 PM »
...but Roland for the first time, they used sound from flagship to lower level...

I don't think this is the first time. The TD-12 had the same sound set as the then flagship TD-20. Also (not exactly a flagship) the TD-8 sound set was used on the lesser TD-6.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 10:30:22 PM by Hellfire »

Online ChrisK

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2018, 10:42:27 PM »
...but Roland for the first time, they used sound from flagship to lower level...

I don't think this is the first time. The TD-12 had the same sound set as the then flagship TD-20. Also (not exactly a flagship) the TD-8 sound set was used on the lesser TD-6.

I don't know that Micheal Shack said his on the Roland event https://youtu.be/O41-VPzFbHo?t=1149
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 07:35:11 AM by ChrisK »

Offline Purpledc

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 07:54:49 AM »
And people always say that the TD25 module is a light version of the TD30 as it also has TD30 sounds in it and some of its functionality.   To me it seems like roland is constantly rolling out old tech and somehow spinning it as new.

Offline Purpledc

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2018, 07:57:19 AM »
And people always say that the TD25 module is a light version of the TD30 as it also has TD30 sounds in it and some of its functionality.   To me it seems like roland is constantly rolling out old tech and somehow spinning it as new.

Reps doing demos dont always know what they are talking about. 

Online ChrisK

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2018, 10:56:36 AM »

But Micheal know what he is talking about, he test and talk directly to Roland engineers, he tested 1 years in advance td-50 in his show no one knew it, and reports how it behave, digital ride\digital snare with dense lights vs capacitive live, and if still all reliable with traveling and show after show etc.  He reports from people demand to them. The same sound are from td-50\old flagship tweaked anyway, cymbal are the same,  sound still synthetic overall thin sound from Roland palette.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 09:14:35 PM by ChrisK »

Offline rhysT

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2018, 04:03:44 AM »
The TD-17 Owner's manual/s and Data list are now available:
https://www.roland.com/global/support/by_product/td-17/owners_manuals/
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 05:18:11 PM by rhysT »

Offline Purpledc

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2018, 09:58:47 PM »
The TD-17 Owner's manual/s and Data list are now available:
https://www.roland.com/global/support/by_product/td-17/owners_manuals/

I think you are missing my point.  Im not saying he doenst know the td17 and cant play.  He is very good at what he does and he knows how to use the modules it would seem.  Im just saying as good as he is, no one is beyond making a mistake. And Roland actually has a history have taking the current flagship and putting its technology in a lower cost drum set.   I think this is the best attempt and it hits the lowest price bracket but the TD25 was based on the the TD30.  And at that time the TD 30 was top dog.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2018, 01:30:17 AM »
I'm a bit confused ..... perhaps these quotes are more related:

But Micheal know what he is talking about, he test and talk directly to Roland engineers, he tested 1 years in advance td-50 in his show no one knew it, and reports how it behave, digital ride\digital snare with dense lights vs capacitive live, and if still all reliable with traveling and show after show etc.  He reports from people demand to them. The same sound are from td-50\old flagship tweaked anyway, cymbal are the same,  sound still synthetic overall thin sound from Roland palette.

I think you are missing my point.  Im not saying he doesnt know the td17 and cant play.  He is very good at what he does and he knows how to use the modules it would seem.  Im just saying as good as he is, no one is beyond making a mistake. And Roland actually has a history have taking the current flagship and putting its technology in a lower cost drum set.   I think this is the best attempt and it hits the lowest price bracket but the TD25 was based on the the TD30.  And at that time the TD 30 was top dog.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 01:48:27 AM by rhysT »

Offline Purpledc

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2018, 05:24:54 PM »
I'm a bit confused ..... perhaps these quotes are more related:

I think you are missing my point.  Im not saying he doesnt know the td17 and cant play.  He is very good at what he does and he knows how to use the modules it would seem.  Im just saying as good as he is, no one is beyond making a mistake. And Roland actually has a history have taking the current flagship and putting its technology in a lower cost drum set.   I think this is the best attempt and it hits the lowest price bracket but the TD25 was based on the the TD30.  And at that time the TD 30 was top dog.

yes im sorry you are correct.  I have no idea why it quoted the wrong post.  Apologies.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2018, 09:08:10 PM »
No worries I've also made similar errors and tend to preview my responses before posting.   ;)

Online ChrisK

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2018, 07:05:51 PM »
Hi,

I tried today td-17, and still sound machine gunning, with synthetic same as video. I guess Roland, the sound are not really their main priority.

Offline Purpledc

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2018, 10:11:32 PM »
to me it sounds like a decent sound but no depth.  Its like the toms and snare play the same sound no matter what velocity you hit the drum.  Its like the same exact sound just louder or softer.

Online ChrisK

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2018, 11:17:31 PM »
to me it sounds like a decent sound but no depth.  Its like the toms and snare play the same sound no matter what velocity you hit the drum.  Its like the same exact sound just louder or softer.

it's because they use like under 4 layers, and they use DSP to manipulate the sound real time, instead of round robin and things like this, so the overall result, not natural sound, lack of richness, clarity on the overall kits.

Offline Purpledc

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2018, 04:45:28 PM »

it's because they use like under 4 layers, and they use DSP to manipulate the sound real time, instead of round robin and things like this, so the overall result, not natural sound, lack of richness, clarity on the overall kits.

which would explain rolands ability to get super fast triggering and no load times.  They are barely pushing any actual information.  Lets see them apply their technology to something like the strike.  I bet that latency number jumps few notches.

Online ChrisK

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2018, 12:18:52 AM »

which would explain rolands ability to get super fast triggering and no load times.  They are barely pushing any actual information.  Lets see them apply their technology to something like the strike.  I bet that latency number jumps few notches.

The latency things is PR, real latency behind acoustic drum is about 5ms, their latency is 3ms on td-30\td-50\td11\15\17 more faster machine gun in headphone, it is impossible to see any difference for human been, most vst are running 7ms to 10 ms with module that you saw on youtube. Yamaha dtx 502 latency is 12ms, go try it in a store, and you will barely see any difference switching to td-30 at 3ms.. They said on Roland event, the reason they never let  imports one sound sample in the time of td-11\15 because latency would increase, yes only one shots sample, it took td-50\td-17 to imports sample, at 3ms.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 02:00:34 AM by ChrisK »