Author Topic: Removing cap from DM10 rack pole  (Read 1207 times)

Removing cap from DM10 rack pole
« on: September 12, 2019, 01:52:59 AM »
One of the poles on my rack got bent, so I'm trying to remove the cap (the thing at the top of the pole that holds the cymbal mount) from the top end of the pole so I can put this cap on the replacement pole I ordered. I'm having trouble removing the cap though. It seems like there's a pin or something holding the cap on, but I can't seem to figure it out. Can you please help? It seems like I need to remove the rubber end of the cap first, and then I should be able to remove the metal part. Photo attached shows the piece I'm talking about.

Offline Chaser

Re: Removing cap from DM10 rack pole
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 11:38:10 AM »
One of the poles on my rack got bent, so I'm trying to remove the cap (the thing at the top of the pole that holds the cymbal mount) from the top end of the pole so I can put this cap on the replacement pole I ordered. I'm having trouble removing the cap though. It seems like there's a pin or something holding the cap on, but I can't seem to figure it out. Can you please help? It seems like I need to remove the rubber end of the cap first, and then I should be able to remove the metal part. Photo attached shows the piece I'm talking about.

I have removed quite a number of these , but not to save and re-install.
I recommended/replaced with a Gibraltar one.

The cymbal mounts are mounted to the upright using (2) roll pins.
1 roll pin is for the plastic clamping top piece.
1 roll pin is below the wing nut that attached the mount to the upright.
That's the pin you have to know out to remove the entire mount.
I generally used a nail punch and knocked it in as I didn't worry about enlarging the hole as I was replacing with a Gibraltar which uses set screws.
In order to preserve the hole size to re-install the roll pin you'll need a punch with the proper diameter.
Keep the cap on the bottom of the leg so you don't lose the pin.
I would just knock it through , then drill and tap for an allen set screw instead of trying to find the proper diameter drill bit for reintalling.

The mounts are tight as inside finish and the upright have rough finishes so it's difficult seperate the two without damage.You can either use large pliers and a cloth/rag inbetween and twist off or use a large diamter long dowel inserted from the bottom of the uopright and knock it off.
One way takes a few minutes and put a Gibraltar cymbal mount on..one way takes a lot more time..proper tools..and a high chance of damage.