Author Topic: Strike Hi Hat  (Read 1304 times)

Strike Hi Hat
« on: November 15, 2019, 01:45:27 PM »
Another seemingly silly question but what does the botton cymbal do? Ive taken mine off and the hi hat sounds and responses seem totally unaffected.

Re: Strike Hi Hat
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 12:09:01 PM »
I think it’s just there for aesthetics. I’m thinking of removing my bottom today. I’m hoping it helps my hi-hat function better.
Had to sell a car for my Alesis Strike but I’m ok with it.

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 07:42:34 AM »
There is more to it than aesthetics. There are 3 switches spaced around the rim and a jack that connects to the control module. Ive measured for continuity across the jack and its open circuit until all 3 switches are pressed then its closed circuit.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 07:46:42 AM by Dingbat »

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 09:51:45 AM »
Oh wow that’s good to know. So now I guess I need to figure out how to adjust some settings on it because it just dose not work so good. Thanks for the info.

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 05:33:21 AM »
Going to have a go at this. Not sure about the rubber hose bit though.
https://youtu.be/PabE2xU05r8?t=18
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 05:35:17 AM by Dingbat »

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 08:42:32 PM »
Looks like the hose is kind of like gust a spacer. I’m sure the same concept can be done with different materials instead of a hose. I do like the idea behind it.

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 12:36:41 PM »
 Check this out.  Also there is a link in the description for better pics of the settings.  I’ve had 95% success with getting the hi hat to play well.  Also, under the pedal trigger options you can also change from log3 to log2  and try increasing the splash setting be 5.  However try the settings as they are shown (including the sample) before you try more stuff as these settings can turn into a rabbit hole..   Also, the sample itself has a Lot to do with the settings. I’ve had a lot of success with the sab15-reg samples.  Siren drums also has a good video on using the strike editor to alter some hi hat samples to tailor them to your style. Under the voice->vel for you bow sample, make sure your velocity is all the way up at 99. (Not in my video).  Some hi hat samples have more levels of semi-open than others, mainly on the edge samples.   You need the strike editor in instrument mode to determine this.  The more levels, the more control and the more flexibility to customize.

https://youtu.be/lzTkpkog-pU